One eye-opening loss is all it takes...

Rat-boy

Having watched the Pitt-Buff game, it was quite evident that these teams are very similar in makeup and philosophy...mirror images of each other. We lost for one reason: Pitt did everything similarly, but BETTER than we did. It could be for a myriad of reasons. Were our boys too wound up and Pitt had nothing to play for so played relaxed, even ball? Does Pitt's offensive line more consistently execute its playcalls and block effectively? Is their defense better against the run? Was our offensive scheme too conservative (why was there not a SINGLE pass of more than 10 yards until the bomb to Evans after it was too late)?

All disappointed griping about the refs, or about Bledsoe, or about competing poorly against Pitt's backups, etc., aside, the game needs to be looked at in the context of the season. What have we seen? The 2004 Bills were clearly better than the mediocre teams, but not complete enough as a team to compete with the upper echelon of the NFL. We are a few players and another year in Mularkey's system away from doing so. Anyone who blames this loss solely on Bledsoe or the refs or the D is refusing to look at the big picture. The loss to Pitt was a total TEAM loss. Pitt is just better than we are right now.

I for one trust the coaching staff to make the moves, WHATEVER they are, to make the team a real contender in 2005. I think we fans tend to get far too carried away by one weeks' results. This game showed us how far the Bills have to go to compete with the big boys.

Go Bills!

I think that getting a play making Tight End would help things out a lot....

Either the TE from the packers or Freddie Jones would be extremely helpfull.......

190038[/snapback]

I wouldn't mind an upgrade at TE. Yet let's not forget that the Bills were playing with their 3rd, (4th and 5th) TE on the depth chart. There's no telling how different today's result would have been had Campbell and/or Euhus been healthy.

I wouldn't mind an upgrade at TE. Yet let's not forget that the Bills were playing with their 3rd, (4th and 5th) TE on the depth chart. There's no telling how different today's result would have been had Campbell and/or Euhus been healthy.

190055[/snapback]

Good point.

If Bledsoe is the starter, we could use:

1) Solid TE

2) More depth at OL

3) A 100% Willis and Travis.

4) Sure-handed receivers.

We're not done copying the Steelers yet. :doh:

Good point.

If Bledsoe is the starter, we could use:

1) Solid TE

2) More depth at OL

3) A 100% Willis and Travis.

4) Sure-handed receivers.

We're not done copying the Steelers yet.  :doh:

190056[/snapback]

I think Price and Tucker make adequate depth on the O-line but neither should be called upon to serve more then 2-3 games in a row but what concerns me is lack of a young guy or two that can come off the bench and develop into a starter. The problem I see is we lack a starting LG and on the whole our starters are average at best line which might not be good enough for Drew. One thing the Steelers that we do lack is a a strong blocking TE. Although I think that Cush guy from Steelers is a due to be an UFA and definately worth looking at as a blocking/3rd string guy.

I'm sure it didn't hurt the Steelers' case to have intimate knowledge of the coaching (Mularkey, Clements and Gray via Lebeau) and player (especially defense, again via Lebeau) tendencies at hand.....

Having watched the Pitt-Buff game, it was quite evident that these teams are very similar in makeup and philosophy...mirror images of each other. We lost for one reason: Pitt did everything similarly, but BETTER than we did.

190032[/snapback]

Agree with you completely. I thought about the game and realized we got beat at every phaze of the game--O, D & special teams. The exact opposite of how we won the last six. I don't know if Drew can still win a big game, but to blame this loss on him is riddiculous. He didn't play well, but neither did anyone else.