Wanny's scheme bad fit for personnel

Wiz

I wouldn't say our personnel is a bad fit for the scheme. I actually think our personnel is a good fit for the scheme, but it needs to be tweaked a bit. First off, Nick Barnett should be our MLB. He was a starting MLB for the Packers, in a 4-3 defense, for many years. He was an All Pro @ the position just 5 years ago and has always been solid. Shep is a decent tackler, but he doesn't have the speed and instincts that Barnett has. I also think that having Barnett being the first guy in line of the inside runs would help as well because he's a savvy veteran who knows how to get off blocks and make a play. I think Mario Williams should be playing RDE and not LDE. I think Kelsay should be back out on the field @ the position, and God knows I never thought I would say that. Kelsay may not be flashy, he may not get 10-12 sacks a season, but he is solid enough at the position and I believe he would do well along side Dareus full time. Our CB's are young and inexperienced. Gilmore is getting burnt a lot and some of my initial thoughts about the kid I have seen play out on the field. At times he looks a little stiff out there and doesn't change direction well. Whether it is a lack of agility or simply he's getting caught sitting on a route that doesn't work out, that I do not know. Aaron Williams hasn't quite caught on yet either. We may be alright a year or so down the road, but we are all seeing the growing pains of starting two young corners now. I really want to see Bradham out on the field and think Moats needs to hit the bench. Bradham is faster and loves to hit people, I watched him at FSU on many occasions. I also think that he would serve better in coverage as he has good speed for a LB. I would have Shep move over to WOLB, Barnett in the middle, and Bradham at SOLB. With the move of Willaims to RDE we would have both Williams on the same side of the field for most snaps and I think that could open things up a bit more for either/or. I think many of the problems we have seen from our rush defense is due to our LB play, especially that of Moats and Shep. Though not saying this would fix all of our problems, I do believe from a personnel standpoint it would be better off. The CB's are going to have to take their lumps and learn on the fly. I've accepted that. But along with the personnel changes, Wanny needs to come up with some better blitz packages. Run some stunts with the DL, send some LB's through gaps other than straight ahead, and throw a couple of S/CB blitzes in there. If they're gonna throw on us like they have been we need to at least have guys hitting the QB to let them know we're coming. That goes just as far as getting sacks by getting into the opposing QB's head. As of right now, the schedule doesn't look so easy anymore and it seems we may be headed for yet another long season.

This has never been Wannstadt's scheme. Where did you hear this? Link?

Wannstadt's scheme has always been to give the DL as much freedom as possible to make plays, sometimes at the expense of OL getting clear shots on the LBs. I suspect that this is part of the reason that the LBs are performing like doo-doo (and because they stink).

"Wannstedt seldom likes to blitz, though he is doing that more this time around with linebacker rushes. The cornerbacks are asked to play press coverage a majority of the time, with safety help over the top. And the tackles have to take up blockers to keep the linemen off the linebackers, who are asked to clean up against the run".

http://www.bostonglo...gNdJ/story.html

I just can't conceive how an entire defense with some proven talent can be the worst in league history over the last two weeks???!!!!! Oh, I forgot, it's Buffalo, where miraculously bad things come true!!!.

Edited by Wiz

I'm so sick of this nonsense about not having players to fit some scheme....we've been hearing this since Greggo was here. What we need is a DC with a brain. Mike Nolan came here to ATL and took a defense with average talent - and one that got slightly worse from the previous year in terms of said talent - and has them playing like champions. We have plenty of talent on defense....the problem is we have an overrated DC who is only here because he is doing a favor for Chan, who can't make adjustments, and has somehow caused our already poorly ranked defense to perform even worse. This is ridiculous....find someone who has some fire in their belly and some firing synapses in their noggin, and someone who can put the talent we have in position to make some damn plays. There is PLENTY of talent here to work with....if Wanny can't get it done, show his ass the door.

"Wannstedt seldom likes to blitz, though he is doing that more this time around with linebacker rushes. The cornerbacks are asked to play press coverage a majority of the time, with safety help over the top. And the tackles have to take up blockers to keep the linemen off the linebackers, who are asked to clean up against the run".

http://www.bostonglo...gNdJ/story.html

I just can't conceive how an entire defense with some proven talent can be the worst in league history over the last two weeks???!!!!! Oh, I forgot, it's Buffalo, where miraculously bad things come true!!!.

I question the validity of this. Here's Wannstedt in his own words from February on what he wants from DL: Link

"When you reflect back on the defenses that I’ve been responsible for, for me the guys up front have been playmakers and we expect guys to make plays. We want it to be a defensive line friendly scheme. It’s really trying to put those guys in the best position where we can use their talent, where they can play fast and give them the opportunity to make plays."

and

"On why he thinks a 4-3 defense will make his group more productive on the field:

I think that from the few guys that we do have, our two inside guys (Marcell) Dareus and Kyle (Williams), I think it will give those guys a chance to make some plays in there."

That doesn't sound like his plan was for them to tie up blockers so other people make plays.

Edited by vincec

A few interesting quotes in this Chuck Pollock article:

http://www.oleantimesherald.com/sports/article_b01d6682-1203-11e2-8fed-0019bb2963f4.html?two-bills-drive

And there was this interesting comment from San Francisco offensive coordinator Greg Roman after Sunday’s game.

“They gave us an unscouted (not previously played) look,” he said. “They had never shown that (approach) before. It was a great job by them ... they caught us.

“That’s a tough one when you don’t know what’s coming. I’ve got to tip my hat to their coaching staff ... they got us.”

So, it would appear that Wannstedt had an effective scheme ... Buffalo was down only 10-3 with a half minute left in the first half.

Maybe, just maybe, it’s not the Xs and Os ... could it be the players instead?

Obviously just because the scheme was unseen, it doesn't make it "effective". But at least we know that Wanny is switching things up rather than calling the same exact D game after game.

Let's hope they switch to something better for this weekend! Or at least that the players drink some Mountain Dew and get fired up for the game!!

A few interesting quotes in this Chuck Pollock article:

http://www.oleantime...two-bills-drive

And there was this interesting comment from San Francisco offensive coordinator Greg Roman after Sunday’s game.

“They gave us an unscouted (not previously played) look,” he said. “They had never shown that (approach) before. It was a great job by them ... they caught us.

“That’s a tough one when you don’t know what’s coming. I’ve got to tip my hat to their coaching staff ... they got us.”

I think he meant how the Bills lined up on the sideline for the national anthem.