What happened to the "Direct Snap"?

Have any of you guys seen a direct snap to the RB in the past five years?? We used to do that quite often with Thurman as I recall. I suppose the strategy behind it is if the QB appears in the backfield in shotgun formation, the defense believes (with a high probability) that the offense will pass. Once the ball is snapped, the QB pretends to drop back but the ball is snapped directly to the RB. It gives the RB an extra second (rather than waiting for the handoff from the QB and it confuses the LB's for a moment). With Gailey being a "pass first" Offensive Coordinator, it may prove effective for three reasons:

1) LB's will drop back in coverage if Fitz plays the "pretend" hike effectively;

2) We have a very talented center who should be able to direct the snap to the right or left;

3) I see Freddie as an excellent candidate for this type of play due to his versatility and ability to find the hole quickly (but CJ would provide a nice burst once he does find the hole).

I know it's gimmicky, but I have to say, when the "normal" QB is in the backfield, the defense knows the ball must first go to the QB...same for the wildcat, the ball has to go to the player playing QB (Brad Smith) and the defense further knows that it will be a run...with the direct snap, you avoid the middle man (Fitz) in exchange for the added benefit of confusing the LB's and D Line for that split second if Fitz acts out the snap and drop back effectively.

Just haven't seen it in awhile and used to think Thurman did a great job with it. Maybe a wrinkle for Chaninator's offense.... Maybe not.

I do not disagree, and I have not seen it in a while. I would enjoy seeing more of this type of play calling.

However, I wanted to point out that often times RB's need those extra seconds and they are a good thing, as it often takes a minute to let the line seal their blocks. If the RB is on the line too quickly the OL will not have a lane or room for the RB and he runs right in to a wall.