NBC said Gronk was from Pittsburgh PA?

Belicheat

It's not really that important, but it's pretty crappy journalism to not even get a guy's hometown right if you're going to put it up in big font on the screen. It's literally a 3 second fact check to make sure you don't look like idiots on national tv.

FWIW, I think Gronk claims that PA is his hometown. I wanna say I saw a Sun/Mon night game where he said that on his intro at the beginning of the game. I don't know for sure, nor can I prove this but I wanna say it was said before.

Either way, he's an idiot and he'll injure himself out of the league in a few years ala Shockey.

Edited by mrags

I am sure that there are others that are more "in the know" than me, but if I recall correctly, I thought the transfer was all about a squabble over some disciplinary action Gronkowski faced at Williamsville North that affected his eligibility for some sport there. It may have been only for a spring sport though. He was on the national radar during his junior year and was already listed as a 4 or 5 star recruit. There was no need to further showcase his talent to enhance his offers and there was no need to disrespect the high school football played in NYS. Sure it was better competition in Pa but he already had the interest of all the major FBS programs as it was.

Not to nitpick, but it was indeed a desire for more exposure, not the disciplinary issue - which was only a one-game suspension that Gronkowski brought on himself by being a jerk. (Guess he had it in him all along, even at that young age.)

Yes, young Rob was already "on the national radar" as a H.S. junior, having received scholarship offers from 10 major schools, but he (and likely Daddy Gronk) felt he needed even more exposure - and, as we all know, the competitiveness of college recruiting at that level is cut-throat. No doubt he increased his value and improved his offers by attending a bigger high school with a nationally known program...

Despite the success he attained at Williamsville North, Gronkowski shockingly announced his intention to transfer to Woodland Hills High School in Pennsylvania---a powerhouse team in the state consistently ranked within USA Today's Top 50 List---a decision that drew controversy. Apparently he became aware of the school a couple of summers back when he was attending an Adidas camp at the University of Pittsburgh. Initially, Gronkowski was denied eligibility by the Western Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic League because it claimed that the student-athlete's reason for relocating was for athletic reasons which is against the Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic Association rules. The Gronkowskis made an appeal and luckily for them, the WPIAL decision was overturned thus allowing him to play his senior year at Woodland Hills. The PIAA did hand Gronkowski a one-game of ineligibility which would parallel the suspension he received at Williamsville North for a disciplinary action taken in regards to an incident where a vulgar e-mail was said to be sent from Gronkowski's e-mail account to that of a North teacher.

Then, there 's also this gem from Daddy Gronk...

The WPIAL was not going to investigate Rob Gronkowski's transfer until league officials saw comments Gordie Gronkowski made in the Post-Gazette Aug. 13. Gordie Gronkowski said there were two main reasons he and his son moved to the Pittsburgh area a few weeks ago and rented an apartment in the Woodland Hills district. First, Gordie Gronkowski owns five G and G Fitness Equipment stores in the Pittsburgh area. Secondly, his son wanted to play a higher quality of football.

Gordie Gronkowski told the Buffalo News this weekend that his comments to the Post-Gazette were taken out of context. "The whole thing was a setup," Gronkowski said.

Well when you see Rob on TV he comes across as a typical dumb jock. I think he is really annoying but would take him here no problem. After the Pats dominance dwindles over a few more years he may want to come back home.

He's actually on-record as saying he wanted to be drafted by the Bills and would have loved to play in his home town, for his home town team, in front of all his family and home town friends. And, IIRC, there was a bit of a ground-swell here on TSW for the Bills to take him. (I don't recall any similar swell of support for Torell Troup, though.)

IMHO, however, it remains questionable if Gronkowski would have enjoyed his current success sans Brady*/Belicheat*.

FWIW, I think Gronk claims that PA is his hometown. I wanna say I saw a Sun/Mon night game where he said that on his intro at the beginning of the game. I don't know for sure, nor can I prove this but I wanna say it was said before.

Either way, he's an idiot and he'll injure himself out of the league in a few years ala Shockey.

Well that surprises me, but they do say that the mind is the first thing to go! I assume he's aware that PA is not a town - but hey, ya never know.

He should Google himself - he might be surprised to learn his hometown is Amherst, NY, that he - along with his four brothers - grew up here and attended Willliamsville schools, and that he only lived in Pennsylvania for one year - his senior year of high school.

I think his career is more likely to end due to STD than injury - perhaps neurosyphilis has already set in.

Edited by The Senator

Well that surprises me, but they do say that the mind is the first thing to go! I assume he's aware that PA is not a town - but hey, ya never know.

He should Google himself - he might be surprised to learn his hometown is Amherst, NY, that he - along with his four brothers - grew up here and attended Willliamsville schools, and that he only lived in Pennsylvania for one year - his senior year of high school.

I think his career is more likely to end due to STD than injury - perhaps neurosyphilis has already set in.

Ya, I know PA is not a hometown. I may have exagerrated a bit on my response and may have been incorrect on some of my statement. He might not have said it's his hometown, and I would assume that google/wiki would say that Amherst/Williamsville is his hometown. But I do know for a fact that my opinion of Gronk changed at some point in the last year or so and that was because I either heard him say he was from Woodland Hills HS on one of his introductions to some national game, or it actually was printed on the screen that's where he was from. I guess the TV broadcast could have made a mistake. Or it could have been Gronk that asked them to type that, or that actually said that. It seemed like another F.U. To the city of Buffalo and sorrounding areas by some young punk that went to our biggest rival. Sure, he didn't get to pick his pro team, but he hasn't exactly said anything about Buffalo or WNY since that I've heard.