Rothlisberger or Eli? Who is JP going to look

JP-era

I have a pretty solid feeling that JP is no worse than Eli and ends up with a better record thrugh the same number of games than Eli. Moreover, I think he has a good chance to post a winning record in year 1 and a decent chance to finish 10 and 6 and in the playoffs. Consider this:

I hardly consider mop up duty a good test for whether a QB should start or not. Id prefer to watch him prepare for and actually start a game with the first team before making that assessment. Moreover, we would be silly to watch him in just ONE game good or bad and be willing to make some long term projection about where he can and cant take us.

The most important problem with any equation where we start any other retread QB is that it further stunts or future QB's growth which isnt good for our team. Had Eli started from day one, who knows he may have turned his play around quick enough to be in the wildcard spot with a say 8 and 8 record. Rather, Eli suffered from being thrown to the dogs well into the season when the offense had already formed a pseudo-jell with Kurt. The entire synch was thrown off, the WR's hadnt had the time needed to know when and where the ball would be and they consequently dropped way too many passes. Roth is a better example of what could happen with JP. The guy had the luxury of starting for a good team already and could be brought along slowly and with a team that could count on its running game to take the pressure off him. Our team is similar with McGahee in the backfield. We need to add some help on the line and I believe we will do so with a big splash from FA and the draft.

I dont want JP to win for us, I want him to NOT lose for us! We can win games early with JP by simply controlling the clock and running the ball, our D will do the rest. As JP gets better, so will our passing O, and then the sky is the limit. JP's legs alone may win us a few more games.

We have almost all of the components for a playoff team. A great D, great special teams, good WR's, a great running game, a decent o-line. I think we will upgrade to our o-line with a stud LT and a decent LG. I also think we add a good TE.

JP needs to be given the 1st shot at starting from day one of training camp, start playing with the 1st team in training camp, and play more than most starters in pre-season.

Then we simply need to run the ball and play strong clock control offense. JP can be given short passes and as he progresses we can open the offense up more and more. Our D will win games for us, if we can merely move the ball and score points. If an average Drew could manage to win games so can any other average QB.

JP wont have the "head" problems going into big games. He will expect and assume nothing. He should have at least a decent shot of playing well in these games too.

The key to starting JP and having the best shot at the playoffs is to make that decision early, give him the time with the starters to jell and be patient, predictable, and stay firmly behind him thorugh the ups and downs.

My opinion, and my opinion only, is that JP will not be ready to start next year. I hope I am wrong. Watching Rothlisberger in college, he was head-and-shoulders better than everyone. It's no surprise how good he is now. Not sure in JP is at that level yet.

PTR

I think he could do fairly well. He'll have been through an NFL training camp, will be familiar with the capabilities of his teammates and will have had a year to learn the playbook. He still needs more practice reps, but if they name him the starter early, he'll get those reps.

Otherwise, the Bills need to improve the LG and C positions with the emphasis on run blocking. If he can rely on McGahee and the running game to win games and just allow him to play a support role as a passer (much like Pittsburgh has done with Roethlisberger), there will be a lot less pressure on Losman and the more likely it is that he has a successful first year as a starter.

Why, you volunteering?  Not that there's anything wrong with that...  :doh:

189371[/snapback]

if thats what it takes to get this team to not blow there wad before the superbowl, I guess Id take one for the team. :P

OK, now Im disgusted AND SICK! Puke on the way!

Dont we have some damn females that would do this "job"?

I think he could do fairly well.  He'll have been through an NFL training camp,  will be familiar with the capabilities of his teammates and will have had a year to learn the playbook.  He still needs more practice reps,  but if they name him the starter early,  he'll get those reps.   

Otherwise,  the Bills need to improve the LG and C positions with the emphasis on run blocking.  If he can rely on McGahee and the running game to win games and just allow him to play a support role as a passer (much like Pittsburgh has done with Roethlisberger),  there will be a lot less pressure on Losman and the more likely it is that he has a successful first year as a starter.

189399[/snapback]

Ive seen the comment from many on needing a C. How about this?

Trade Henry for a 2nd (fingers crossed). Draft CJ Brooks AND David Baas who plays C for the Wolverines. Then start Teague at LT? Could he be decent there? Personally Id rather have us pull an improbable pick up like Takeo Spike on the o-line and land a stud like Jones/Pace/ or Tra Thomas.

I for one wouldnt mind picking up Floyd Womack or Cosey Coelman at G either.