Wannstache, Random Thoughts and Why I'm Not Worrying About the D L

Must say that this game, which we all were wildly anticipating, made me feel like I did after watching Star Wars Episode One. I waited six months / 16 years for this crap? Don't know who was Jar Jar Binks--Fitzpatrick or Wannstache. I'm leanin Wannstache.

Some random thoughts:

D line. Step back from the ledge fans, I find it hard to believe this D line won't gel. Didn't seem like they got much penetration, but Sanchez was throwing super quick. How can you sack a guy who gets rid of the ball in one second, unless you blitz? This D line is going to be dominant...soon. I think this was more being outcoached than being outmuscled. Plus, it appears the Jets' O line was playing dirtier than normal, and that the replacement refs didn't notice.

Wannstache 1. A 10 year old could have figured out we should've blitzed Sanchez. He can pick a defense apart if you give him time. Why our D coordinator didn't dial up any blitzes is staggering.

Secondary. They sucked. All of them. Got burned repeatedly by non-caliber receivers. Our secondary is my biggest worry right now. Jets defenders stuck to our receivers like Spandex. Our defenders--WTF?

Run D. Linebackers and D line did OK (acceptable but not good) stopping the run. They swarmed the runner, made decent tackles, and somewhat limited the ground and pound to 3.3 yards per rush.

Wannstache 2. He didn't have these corners prepared. They looked awful. All in all, horrible play calling on his part and lackluster play by the DBs.

Run game. CJ was brilliant, even with the fumble. Had twice the YPC as the Jets. Great blocking, great running. Sad to see Freddie out several weeks so quickly.

O line. Like I said, opened up holes, protected the QB. What more can you ask for?

Fitz 1. Some TBD netizen said his mechanics were the same. I disagree. His mechanics were worse, IMO. Don't know about planting and footwork, but his throwing motion looked like he was chucking a shotput--more so than normal.

Fitz 2. I believe he'll bounce back. He was solid in the first half of last season. He was out of rhythm, overthrew one INT, made a bad decision on another, and mishit a receiver on a timing play who supposedly ran the wrong route. I'm not willing to give up on him yet. But yeah, he stank it up. I'll give him two more weeks before I throw in the Fitz towel.

Receivers. None could get separation. Enough said.

Receivers 2. Think Gailey is wondering why he only kept 5 receivers? Sure hope TJ Graham is ready. Still blows my mind how thin we are at WR.

Best play. CJ's 50 yard run right before the half.

Second best play. Chandler taking out Rex!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ETfpxmNd6kY

Overall positive feelings. We would've won if we hadn't turned it over four times. We outgained them in nearly every offensive stat: total yards, yards per play, yards per rush and red zone efficiency. We'll get this D line pushing people back. Fitz will get in tune with his receivers, and improve his mechanics. Receivers found separation last season, they will this one.

Overall negative feelings. Seems as if we might still be lacking a shutdown corner, even with our first round pick. I worry that Wannstache / Gailey are too set on not blitzing. You're not going to put enough heat on QBs with just four, even with the studs we have. After watching elite receivers like Brendan Marshall on the other screen out-muscle defenders, it's clear we still seriously lack top WR talent. Fitz seems like he will never be able to throw it deep. All in all, they had six months to prepare for this mediocre Jets offense. Still can't believe the D was so carved up yesterday.

To the OP. great thoughts on the 'stache and his uh game plan. If anyone here or you yourself know of a good e-mail address at 1BD to send your critique I think the 'stache might appreciate it.

Clearly he is confused and could use some fan help here. Although everything you state is pretty obvious, he needs help and pronto.

In regard to blitzing: I don't think it would've helped that much as many of the Jets passing plays were three step drops and/or quick first read throws.

I would've liked to see better play form the secondary, and in particular the safeties. Time and time again, Byrd, WIlson, and Searcy were late on helping the corners.

I had a bit to drink during the game, but IIRC, the D was playing almost exclusively cover 4. The safeties need to better diagnose the play and get where they need to be just a little bit quicker.

Just finished rewatching the game...

The d-line was not as terrible as posters here would make you believe. It was all on the secondary and add to that quick drops. Even with the quick drops, I counted a few hits on Sanchez that were half second late. Including hits by M. Williams and K. Williams, problem was the wide receivers were wide open and Sanchez was still able to complete the pass.

Byrd and Wilson also had the worst game I'd ever seen them play together.

Really most of these are the same problems as last year.

Receivers don't get separation-was true most or all of last year. Fitz completed a lot of holy shi- throws last year if you look back at the good run. Balls that shouldn't have been thrown or would be picked off 98 out of 100 times. He just spent all his luck in 6 games. He also had at least one a game like the Cromartie play that were dropped or called back on penalties. Fitz is what he is the receivers are what they are. We've seen it, no real reason to believe it will change.

Secondary can't cover anybody. More same old, same old. We changed the names, results are the same. Very inconsistent at safety, and Aaron Williams hasn't shown any real signs that he has a future as a starter in this league.

The running game continued to be a positive. Repeat from last year.

The one real new positive to take away was the run defense, which is vastly improved. They knew the Jets were running the whole second half, but that wouldn't have mattered in the past. Unfortunately it won't mean much if they continue to have zero ability to defend the pass. Gilmore should improve some, but really there are way too many holes to expect much in this area.

So really, this is about what we should have expected. Having one NFL starting caliber receiver is a joke in a passing league. Failing to address this obvious issue should be enough to get rid of Nix if Wilson really felt that the rest of the team was near winning.

In regard to blitzing: I don't think it would've helped that much as many of the Jets passing plays were three step drops and/or quick first read throws.

I would've liked to see better play form the secondary, and in particular the safeties. Time and time again, Byrd, WIlson, and Searcy were late on helping the corners.

I had a bit to drink during the game, but IIRC, the D was playing almost exclusively cover 4. The safeties need to better diagnose the play and get where they need to be just a little bit quicker.

Good point. Blitzing may have been a lot worse. That would have doubled the open spaces for those receivers to find. Anything Wanny didn't try sounds better than what he did try in retrospect. Blitzing against quick passes seldom works.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9