No excuse for a receiver who was a 3rd round pick not to be on roster

IronyAbounds

It speaks volumes that Graham wasn't on the active roster for the game. Wide receiver is probably the easiest position for a rookie to play, and a 3rd round pick should at least be able to make the active roster, particularly given Johnson's gimpy groin and the low level of talent in the other receivers. I am sick to death of stupid draft picks by the doddering senior citizen Buddy Numbskull.

I'm as dumbfounded as anyone else, but I'm afraid you're wrong about WR being the easiest position for a rookie to play. It's probably the 2nd or 3rd toughest position for a rookie.

That said, I'd find it very difficult to believe that he was inactive due to performance or lack of playbook knowledge. Something else must have been going on. Sorry if someone already posted the reasons, I haven't seen it anywhere as of yet.

If I'm wrong about the difficulty of learning the position then I'm wrong, but the point remains, why the heck wasn't he active? All but two other receivers who were drafted in the first five rounds that weren't injured made their team's active roster (and of the other two, one was likely held out to insure health and the other had injury problems in camp and just fell far behind. Given the deplorable state of the Bills' receiving corp, you certainly expect that a receiver with even a modicum of talent would be on the active roster. Either the coaching staff is stupid, or Graham was picked far too early in the draft. Perhaps both.

This goes beyond just T.J. Graham. I was very curious, as well, when before the game I heard Stevie Johnson was practically limping, and questionable - and then I hear we didn't even dress T.J. Graham! So, on a team with a very weak WR corps, which only kept 6 WR's, going into a game with an admittedly injured WR, and doesn't dress a 3rd round pick? I ask you - why are we making these picks at all, if we aren't going to use them? Russel Wilson would have looked nice out there today, IMO.

This goes back, in a way, for me, all the way to last year. Fitz gets "hurt" in the Redskins game (although he was never on the injury report). That was the admitted excuse for his total switch in play from one half to the other last year. So, Fitz is hurt so much that it makes him play terrible. Isn't that what a backup QB is for? Why do we have a backup QB, taking up roster space and salary cap, if we aren't going to use him?

The connection here between the two is this: if the right talent level was there at these positions, we'd have the situation where when a player gets hurt, another player with promise goes in and picks up, instead of the whole team suffering due to one players injury. Don't bring these guys in if they aren't good enough to play!

Martin and Smith were active for their specialty roles. Also, Martin seems to be Nelson's main back-up in the slot, and Chan probably felt that CJ and Fred could be used in the WR role and to stretch the defense. Its always a numbers game, and you have to decide where you want your depth. Obviously, special teams is where Chan wanted his depth, and he felt that CJ could provide the same kind of speed on the outside.

We sure could have used someone with speed at WR today to try and make some plays and get back in the game. Not having Graham active makes no sense. Why keep him on the roster if you're not going to even dress him. Bad decision by the coaching staff. Pretty consistent though, because this is a coaching staff that had no clue how to get this team ready to beat the Jets.

This goes beyond just T.J. Graham. I was very curious, as well, when before the game I heard Stevie Johnson was practically limping, and questionable - and then I hear we didn't even dress T.J. Graham! So, on a team with a very weak WR corps, which only kept 6 WR's, going into a game with an admittedly injured WR, and doesn't dress a 3rd round pick? I ask you - why are we making these picks at all, if we aren't going to use them? Russel Wilson would have looked nice out there today, IMO.

This goes back, in a way, for me, all the way to last year. Fitz gets "hurt" in the Redskins game (although he was never on the injury report). That was the admitted excuse for his total switch in play from one half to the other last year. So, Fitz is hurt so much that it makes him play terrible. Isn't that what a backup QB is for? Why do we have a backup QB, taking up roster space and salary cap, if we aren't going to use him?

The connection here between the two is this: if the right talent level was there at these positions, we'd have the situation where when a player gets hurt, another player with promise goes in and picks up, instead of the whole team suffering due to one players injury. Don't bring these guys in if they aren't good enough to play!

Russel Wilson played like a 3rd round rookie QB yesterday. Like crap.