Sports Illustrated Playoff Picks

Previously we saw that 9 of 16 ESPN NFL gurus picked the Bills to make the playoffs as a wild card team.

SI's picks just came out today and only 3 of their 9 experts project the Bills making the playoffs. Don Banks and the venerable Peter King are among the three.

Altogether, 12 of 25 footbal experts predict that the Bills will make the playoffs this year, making it roughly a 50-50 proposition.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/football/nfl/09/04/nfl-predictions-2012/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

50/50 pretty well sums things up - I mean, this team has the looks of a team that will either maximize its potential, and go far, or, it will shoot itself in the foot (play calling, QB play, injuries). I think we'll likely deserve whatever we end up with. I'm going with 11-5 and a wildcard, though.

I keep hearing our schedule is soft, weak, or easy. Yet we had a losing record last year. Nothing is easy in the NFL. We just better freaking win the ones we're suppose to win. I hope this team doesnt have the same mind set of this so called easy schedule.

"venerable" is probably the last adjective in the english language i would use to describe peter king.

I knew someone would say that. I just threw in that adjective for fun but I actually do kind of like Peter King. Very few of the national media guys are very credible simply because it takes too much work to be conversant on 32 teams at once. King is better than most, and he does have some good inside sources.

50/50 is pretty reasonable

the Bills have a LOT of question marks but there's a lot of potential and the schedule is extremely soft

50/50 is worth celebrating compared to the NFL Network fantasy picks. According to that list, Buffalo will score no points, throw for no yards and Lindell will make no field goals. Fred Jackson will however run for a few yards. Winslow is rated higher than Chandler and he's not employed by a team.

Edited by Thunderstealer

I remember when we were 5-2 last year, someone posted the mathematical odds of making the playoffs at that point was something like 72%. So, I'll wait until we actually get there and not worry about the prognosticators.

As a wise man once said: A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush behind a paper tiger with feet of clay sitting in a straw house of cards that has cried wolf once too often.

All things are in our favor to make a playoff run this year:

1.) 8 games against ROOKIE QB's (Miami X 2). Then there's Cassel & Bradford. Only 2 legit threats are Brady & Schaub...A.Smith gets a pass as San Fran is a great team, regardless of him.

2.) 10 games against run D's that let up 110ypg or more, including 4 of the 10 worst in the league.

3.) Only 4 games agains 2011-12 playoff teams, which includes the Pats twice & Houston, both of which have terrible Run D. Hopefuly we make it out of San Fran alive, lol.