Is this team significantly better than last year?

Homer

Unfortunately I agree, the LB's are the weakness of this defense. They have given up to many big plays in pre season. I hope I'm wrong but we will see next Sunday.

Hopefully, the Jets offense won't have the stuff to really put the LBs to the test. I think that the defense and special teams will be fine, it's going to be up to the offense. If they can win the battle vs the Jets D then I feel really good about winning.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To me we're significantly better for a lot of reasons.

1] The obvious DL additions. But the real advantage of that is that the pass rush makes the LBs and DBs a LOT better. We're still going to give up points, and long plays, and be frustrating at times. But compared to last year, the upgrade at DL of +2 automatically makes the upgrade of LB and DB a +1 each before you even start grading them.

2] The addition by subtraction of Edwards and the addition of Wanny. That's an enormous upgrade for the simple fact that Edwards was in way over his head. Just putting defenses in the right position to make plays on the right plays can be a world of difference for your team.

3] This is the third year in the offensive system for a lot of these guys. They are no longer learning new stuff they are most refining what they already know.

4] CJ. I think he is going to be a monster threat. It's just opinion right now, because we don't know how Gailey is going to use them both, but I hope and think that it's going to be clever, and wise, and teams aren't going to know how to deal with all the options we have on the field at the same time. Fitz being Fitz, and the smartest guy on the field, hopefully will be able to know where to go pre-snap like he did early last year, and we should be able to exploit mismatches.

5] The injuries. If we don't get killed again, although we'll surely get our share, we should be significantly better. I truly believe we were more the team of the first 7 than the last 9. We withstood several injuries, but when too many guys got hurt we crumbled.

6] The schedule. Each year there are several teams you think will suck who are good and an equal number that you think will be good that suck. But looking at this schedule, especially compared to last year, (plus the Dolphins and the Jets looking worse), makes for an upgrade.

I have been hearing (reading) alot of whining about cuts and who we should have kept and even who we should bring back in. It got me thinking about if this team is significantly better than last year. So lets go down the list.

FO= +0…the same...no changes that I remember (but I am getting old)

Coaching staff= same as above with the exception of bumping DW from LB coach to DC. Plus addition of quality QB coach, I really like this move and I feel like we've gotten better so I'll give it a +1.

QB=the same, same guys with the exception of TJ who no one has seen enough of in a Bills uni. I think this is even +0 although additions to the coaching staff may result in better play.

RB = +1 better. I believe that the RB position got better in 2 ways. Spiller grew up or improved his running and is staying behind his blockers better. He is also a better blocker which allows for more run differentiation.

Fred X is still the man and Choice is probably a decent 3rd back. I’m going to add Dickerson to this list because I saw him listed as FB. I think he is a good pick up and can catch the ball out of the backfield or off the LOS. All in all +1.

WR= +0 (even). I struggled with this one, although I don’t think keeping 4 wr’s plus Smith is an issue due to the fact that we have Chandler, Fred X, Spiller and maybe Dickerson who also offer targets. Im looking forward to TJ Graham coming along but at this point we haven’t seen enough of him. This group may be addition by subtraction…I was never that fond of Ruvell Martin.

Oline= +1. I say this because I feel Cordy Glen is an upgrade over Bell and the overall depth is better, especially with blocking scheme. I feel Cordy has been thrown in the fire and has done relatively well against top DE’s Orackpo in Washington and Jared Allen of Vikes. Much of this depends on Eric Pears and whether Hairston needs to take his place for injury issues.

Dline +2. I think we’ve made our biggest improvement on the team in this area in a number of ways. First I think switching from a 3-4 to a 4-3 suited our players better allowing us to put both Dareus and K. Williams on the line at the same time and have suitable depth in Johnson and Carrington although many would have wished to keep Heard or Gilbert instead of Carrington. I think in this case they FO kept Carrington for several reasons…1, he was a Bills third round pick and the FO wants this to work out…2, he has played everywhere except DB and may have become a very versatile player adding to depth. Our pass rush is so much better that the differing teams will have to “pick their poison” in who to double team. We’ve gotten a glimpse of this in pre season with Dareus, Williams and Williams all getting sacks without the help of Anderson who has been off the field since the first game.

LB= +0. Hopefully some of the young guys will come on and/or the Dline will make the LB,s look better but I don’t see a huge amount of increase nor do I see any fall off from last season.

DB’s= +1. I think Florence was cut for a reason more than just salary and will not be back…apparently Denver felt the same. I think that when McGee is healthy he is the best corner on the team and always plays his heart out either in pass or run support. I think Gilmore is an important addition and will go a long way to making this team better but may have general rookie mistakes along the way. I feel McKelvin has finally found his spot and has become very valuable on ST. Byrd and Wilson should have a good year but I’m kind of worried about fall off from Wilson who is getting older and I’m starting to wonder about Searcy’s ability to come on not to mention we kept Howell who I understand had a good preseason but still have to think (who?) when ever his name is mentioned. I kind of worry about AJ Williams and feel he may be the weak link which may not matter as much if McGee is healthy. All in all I feel as though the DB’s have gotten better.

ST= +1. I think Potter adds a lot and will challenge Lindel next season for more than just kick offs. This part of the team seems to be in mid season form and is really looking good in all areas.

Overall I see no negatives, although there are some areas we may not have improved on this year, this was an exciting off season and maybe you can’t do it all. I feel the overall talent on this team is much better and we have finally gotten to the point where when we make cuts other teams may pick them up. Take this with a grain of salt as it is all seen through a Homers eyes.

I haven't read any replies, but would like to add that I will wait 'till the season starts and we are a few weeks into it. I don't know how anyone would know until then. Right now it's all on paper.