Survivor Philippines

WWVaBeach

Probably my favorite episode of the season so far. I can't believe how much better this cast is than last year. It makes such a difference when you have INTERESTING people. I thought Penner's talk with Lisa was awesome...great moment. I wanted to see more of Artis cause he seemed like a really good dude, but I'm glad Penner stayed. I wish one of those two boring guys would have gone home instead....the guy with the blonde hair and the other younger guy. But this season has played out EXACTLY as I'd hoped, with the tribal bonds being way looser than in the past. They need to keep shifting and shuffling like they did this season.

Really interesting episode, really fun season so far.

This season is much better than last year's One World because as you say, there were looser parameters with more than 2 tribes. Just like the men vs. women theme that resulted in a totally unexciting last half of the season, having two tribes and then it being basically decided just based on a simple numbers game based on their season-long arc / social conceit is crap. Glad they mixed it up, and encourage less of a tribal focus / identity.

I didn't have a favorable view of Penner. Still not sure about him, but that was a brilliant strategy in the reward challenge and I also appreciated his talks with Lisa last night. Especially the big-picture view of this game. That was a man working his behind off trying to save the same. And he was spot-on. Once you've turned on your allegiance even the least tiny bit, you'd better go full throttle, b/c they'll go after you first. And Lisa's vote shows she still doesn't get that, even with Abi's stink eye / death stare directed straight at her. The preview looks like that's going to come to a head next week.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This season is much better than last year's One World because as you say, there were looser parameters with more than 2 tribes. Just like the men vs. women theme that resulted in a totally unexciting last half of the season, having two tribes and then it being basically decided just based on a simple numbers game based on their season-long arc / social conceit is crap. Glad they mixed it up, and encourage less of a tribal focus / identity.

I didn't have a favorable view of Penner. Still not sure about him, but that was a brilliant strategy in the reward challenge and I also appreciated his talks with Lisa last night. Especially the big-picture view of this game. That was a man working his behind off trying to save the same. And he was spot-on. Once you've turned on your allegiance even the least tiny bit, you'd better go full throttle, b/c they'll go after you first. And Lisa's vote shows she still doesn't get that, even with Abi's stink eye / death stare directed straight at her. The preview looks like that's going to come to a head next week.

I don't get the impression that Penner is all that popular, but he's the kind of guy I like having on the show because 1) he's very smart, 2) he says interesting things, and 3) he PLAYS THE GAME lol. I can't stand these people who get comfortable in an alliance, and then each week it's always clear who is the sitting duck....you watch them get picked off one by one just like last year. This season is the total opposite...there is a lot that is up in the air, to the degree that someone smart like Penner can take advantage and move some pieces around.

Who did Lisa vote for? I wasn't looking at the screen when Artis was giving his farewell speech (which I thought was major class).

I don't get the impression that Penner is all that popular, but he's the kind of guy I like having on the show because 1) he's very smart, 2) he says interesting things, and 3) he PLAYS THE GAME lol. I can't stand these people who get comfortable in an alliance, and then each week it's always clear who is the sitting duck....you watch them get picked off one by one just like last year. This season is the total opposite...there is a lot that is up in the air, to the degree that someone smart like Penner can take advantage and move some pieces around.

Who did Lisa vote for? I wasn't looking at the screen when Artis was giving his farewell speech (which I thought was major class).

She voted for Penner, Skupin voted Artis.

Lisa voted for Penner.

Which is weird, because she and Skupin are supposedly as close as an alliance-of-two as you can be without it being official... and Skupin voted Artis.

I just can't wait for Abi to get hers, loudmouth assumptive b----. She has no clue how much she's being played by Pete.

I don't know whether it was just the early focus on Blue in the tribal councils and my missing a few eps, but Denise and Malcom are two of my rooting-for players. Denise is just a squat little powerhouse in the competitions and is simply survivng the alliance / numbers-game squabbles by going along until she has to make a move. And her and Malcom (with an idol) could be really dangerous.

Wow, that's surprising...she does seem to fall back on the loyalty thing.

Denise is my favorite. If I were a team captain picking a team, I'd pick her first. She's outperformed nearly everyone in every physical challenge.

On top of that, she's playing very smart.

• 2 weeks later...

If Malcolm has two brain cells to rub together, he takes Lisa and Abi to the Final Three.

Lisa has POed a number of people on the jury. And tonight with that 'I'll take out the strongest player' she totally lost Penner --- who reached for his hat and then covered the look on his face as she finished saying that --- if she ever *had* a chance for his vote. Penner likes her, sympathizes with her life situation, and could read her like a book, but that doesn't mean he thinks she deserves the million. If Malcolm makes it, which seems likely since he has an idol that gets him to 4, and what seems like a tight alliance with Denise, I don't see how he loses unless he flips the bird to everyone on the jury as they're voting.

Ding dong the witch is dead. Soooo glad to see her gone. She was so clueless (even moreso than the chick last season that was shocked that there was bacon in a BLT). Not a bad final 4 either. I'm rooting for either Malcolm or Denise.

Was Lisa Whelchel's 'Survivor' success planned all along?

When she and the rest of the cast reached the Philippines, they weren't allowed to talk to each other before the game officially started. So, Whelchel engaged in some mind games, like wearing a triathlon T-shirt she bought on eBay. "I've never competed in a triathlon -- there's no way I could," she explained to us, "but if they want to think I'm strong enough to compete in a triathlon, just to give me a little bit of a leg up the first few days, that is just fine with me."

Wow, Denise is really shooting herself in the foot in this final tribal. Basically, telling the whole jury, 'I'm better than you!' and using that as her case.

Lisa kinda screwed herself by not coming back with an 'I'm not rich from that...' to Penner. He just laid the wood to her chances there.

Edited by UConn James