Will Ron Brooks take McGee's place?

Luxy312

What I'm saying is that the Bills got some good production from defensive backs who weren't necessarily first round picks, or in the case of AW, the second pick of round 2. Remember, after the 2011 draft, it was Nix who said that they had, "multiple trade down offers in every round."

Last season, the Giants drafted a corner in round 1. He was injured for the bulk of the season. They won the superbowl anyway, primarily due to their great defensive line. It is a wonderful thing that the Bills finally devoted major resources to their DL.

As for drafting dbs every year, this isn't necessarily something that I am against. But before doing so with early selections, a team should be stocked with linemen on both sides, and a solid QB.

Jmo.

True enough, but then again, the Bills have gotten some pretty good D-tackle play out of a guy taken in the fifth round. I don't disagree with you that getting good D and O-line play is important. Where I would disagree is that I think the Bills have invested substantial draft resources in recent years in the D-line, they've just done it poorly - Maybin, Troup, Carrington. On the DB side, they've picked McKelvin, Byrd, Williams, Gilmore. The difference is that in the DB selections, at least one has turned out well, one is looking promising, and one is coming into his second year so isn't a washout yet. Even a 50% hit rate is better than they've done with D-line.

I just can't agree with you if you think that position should be the overwhelming consideration when drafting. I think, first and foremost, your first and second round picks need to be guys you expect to be solid starters or better. Just because you need a lineman or a QB does not mean there is one there worth taking.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Once a guy walks on the field for training camp, PUP is no longer an option

Second time in this thread that was pointed out to me. Thanks. I get it! LoL :wallbash:

I just hope the other guy in this thread who also thought we could just PUP him gets it though.

Only $1.35 million against the cap this year. Definitely a financial decision given that Florence was the better back.

You must not have seen the games I saw last year. Florence got burned seriously numerious times last year, he had lost his speed as he has gotten older. He made plays, but got burned a lot. Releasing him was right. McKelvin can run with the best of them, but doesn't make plays on the ball...that could turn around in a heartbeat. Williams is a gamer like florence, but a little slow in coverage...Brooks or McKelvin have the physical tools to supplant him. We will see....and yes, this crew is short on experience

I just can't agree with you if you think that position should be the overwhelming consideration when drafting. I think, first and foremost, your first and second round picks need to be guys you expect to be solid starters or better. Just because you need a lineman or a QB does not mean there is one there worth taking.

I can understand this. A thing to do would be to look at previous drafts in which the Bills used their best picks on running backs and/or defensive backs, and look at the players that they passed up in key, hard to fill positions. This will explain the 12 year playoff drought. 2006 stands out as the worst offseason that a GM could possibly have. And remember, Levy was on Sirius talking of how he too spurned numerous offers to trade down. He completely blew the first 4 rounds, and gave away an early 3rd in the process. And let's not forget the dumb ufa signings, but I digress.

I am one of the few that didn't like the Gilmore selection. BUT, I didn't get as angry this time around because it does have a chance at being a good pick due to the major improvements up front. I make the case that even an exceptional Gilmore would not win us games with Kelsay, Troup, and Carrington as starting linemen. His skills would be wasted imo.

And, btw, you left out Dareus while listing the def. linemen that the Bills drafted. He took over the Redskin game as a rookie (I know, they had injured blockers), and won it for us. And Glenn might be a steal, who knows?

In any event, things do seem to be looking up. Jauron was as bad a head coach as one could imagine. Imo he could not win much under any conditions. I believe that Gailey is a very good, modern offensive mind, I hope that this Bills team is strong enough, and well suited to play in the elements.

At least this season, it appears to be possible.