Buffalo Bills Training Camp Report: 8/13/2012

Mike32282

It's hard to believe, but Monday was Day 14 at Buffalo Bills Training Camp. There is only one more practice to go. The team spent extra time working on red-zone drills, plus the usual 1-on-1's, 7-on-7's, 11-on-11's and special teams drills. Coach Gailey gave Ryan Fitzpatrick a bit of a break on Monday as he had only the two backups work on the 7-on-7 drills. The team also practiced the 2-minute drill and the offense was successful both times, scoring two touchdowns to end the day.

As always, the team started out working on fundamentals with their position coaches. This time, the offense worked on Growney Stadium, while the defense worked on the Polisseni track and field complex. The players spent about 15 minutes working with their position coaches, until they all came onto the main field for special teams work. John Potter was the only one used for kicking the ball off and he did a good job. The kick returners were Leodis McKelvin, CJ Spiller, Brad Smith and TJ Graham. Spiller had the best return, showing off his speed on his return. Although, Smith had a good return too. Following the special teams work, the team spend time doing passing drills. It wasn't the usual 7-on-7 yet, but they worked on a 5-on-4 and 4-on-4, focusing on 1-on-1 matchups. The team spend about 5 minutes on this drill and then finally the real fun began, the 7-on-7 drill.

Coach Gailey let Ryan Fitzpatrick skip the drill as the focus was on the backup competition. Vince Young started off with a 10-yard pass to Donald Jones and then hit Scott Chandler for 7-yards. He finished the series off with a 6-yard pass to Derek Hagan. Tyler Thigpen came on the field next and hit Scott Chandler for 8-yards. He then threw a nice pass to Derek Hagan for 30-yards. On the final play of the series, Thigpen overthrew Stevie Johnson. Vince Young came back onto the field and connected with TJ Graham for 9-yards and 8-yards. He then hit Kamar Aiken for 7-yards. On the next play, Young threw a screen to Lee Smith for 3-yards. He then found Ruvell Martin for 10-yards. On the final play of the series, Young connected with Fendi Onobun for 11-yards.

Tyler Thigpen came back onto the field and hit Stevie Johnson for 6-yards. He then found Derek Hagan for 12-yards. On the final play of the series, Thigpen connected with Stevie Johnson for 8-yards. Vince Young came back on the field and found Scott Chandler. He then threw the ball at CJ Spiller's feet. On the final play of the series, Young saw David Nelson and threw it his way, but Leodis McKelvin broke it up. Tyler Thigpen came back once more and connected with Kamar Aiken for 20-yards, and 5-yards. He then hit Naaman Roosevelt for 6-yards. On the next play, Thigpen threw a nice 30-yarder to TJ Graham. He then hit Derek Session for 7-yards. On the final play of the drill, Thigpen was almost picked off by Nick Sukay who made a great play on the ball, but couldn't hang onto it..... CLICK HERE for more:

Thanks for the post. Good info.

Also, be careful what you say of Easley on this board. He is held in the highest regard due to his "unlimited potential" and "highest upside". I believe the defense he was getting yesterday from the "Easleyaholics" was that "the Bills already know what they have in him and he has his roster spot set".....truely amazing

Also, be careful what you say of Easley on this board. He is held in the highest regard due to his "unlimited potential" and "highest upside". I believe the defense he was getting yesterday from the "Easleyaholics" was that "the Bills already know what they have in him and he has his roster spot set".....truely amazing

I'm disappointed myself. I was a huge Easley fan and had lots of hope that this was his year. I honestly thought he'd be pushing for the #2 WR by now and am shocked at how things have been going with him.

Yes it is.

Personally, I'm somewhat mystified about how Ruvell Martin is still on the team. I wouldn't be surprised if they gave him up to keep a second kicker in Potter.

Thanks for the update! One more practice!

I've been thinking the same thing. I'd keep Potter no matter what. He makes that big of a difference on special teams. If it costs Ruvell Martin his job, so be it.