Talking Heads

YOU have been designated by NBC to choose replacements for the entire staff on the Sunday night highlight show, what names/talent would you go after?

think recently retired players, ex/fired coaches, current broadcasters (contracts non-withstanding), etc...

What do you like to see on these shows?:

A bunch of "characters" having fun?

All straight arrows? (getting the job done with not so much flair)

Film breakdown?

Bikini's? monkeys wearing tutu's?

Myself, being a musician, I think it'd be cool to see some in-the-studio, acoustic performances featured or off to the side like the SNL band when they go to break.

As far as personnel, I've always liked James Brown. I'd also take a flier on Favre with the hopes he could be the next Terry Bradshaw type and hold down that chair for 10-15 years... the other two? I'll have to rely on you's to gimme some ideas...

Likely a number of candidates. Think generally games are analyzed by many sources and will be done so through game weeks. What I want to see in highlights are what happened that given gameweek from game to game, and providing person does not interfere with the highlights themselves, like the idea of the commentator doing it with some humor. Would not mind the notion of a guest commentator from entertainment/sports doing it. People who are clearly fans, but outside of the football industry, musicians, entertainers, other professional sports athletes, politicians even. Kind of like guest host on Saturday night live. Have some fun with it but in the end we see what happened in that particular week, with perhaps a unique take on it...:)

Honestly, I feel like the more ex-players and ex-coaches they add to the broadcasts, the more un-bearable the broadcasts have become. Most (not all) don't really add anything to the broadcast, and don't really add anything more than rudimentary football knowledge to the game. There are some, but most people seem to hate them...guys like Dierdorf. And I may be the only person who can stand Collinsworth. I don't look for these guys to always be right about everything...but I look for them to be interesting, and to give me a perspective on things that I haven't heard a million times already, during the course of the week.

I think Costas is still the best studio host in the business...and I wish ESPN would just go back to Berman and TJ for a highlights show.

btw OP- I love music too...but I hate the idea of adding a live band to a pre-game show...ESPN started doing this in the late 90's and, IMO, was the begining of the end of their pre-game show being good. I really don't need to hear Hootie & the Blowfish, Goo Goo Dolls or Big Bad Voodoo Daddy on the pre-game show... and those are the kinds of acts they would have...the NFL does a lot a things right, but their realtionship with quality music is not one of their strong suits... the game is great enough on its' own...

YOU

As far as personnel, I've always liked James Brown. I'd also take a flier on Favre with the hopes he could be the next Terry Bradshaw type and hold down that chair for 10-15 years... the other two? I'll have to rely on you's to gimme some ideas...

Exactly what we don't need..."the next Terry Bradshaw"! Aren't there enough of these blithering idiots on the tele already! :P

I like Costas and James Brown. Berman is a bit arrogant but he is really good. But you need experts like coaches and players as they know the game inside out. Like it or not.

They may know the game inside and out, but they rarely display it... when was the last time Terry Bradshaw had anything insightful to say? All these guys do is speak in cliches...the emphasis, these days, always seems for the guys to take a position on some sort of "hot button" issue of the week...it is just a waste of a lot of knowledge. I assume Dan Marino knows a ton about reading defenses...but we never hear that kind of thing from him.

Honeslty, what good does seeing Dan Marino, or Boomer Esiason interview a player about some tragedy in their life do? Isn't that the stuff the people who are now sideline "reporters" can do, just as well, if not better. I understand that they want to humanize the players, and humam interest stories are a part of it...but why not have journalists do that, and the football guys talk about "X's & O's'? Even during the broadcasts now, with all the commercial interruptions, there is less and less time to talk football.

James Brown, Bob Costas, Howie Long are probably my three favorite. Kurt Menefee isn't bad. Not to veer off topic, but despite it being the NFC station, I find myself watching the Fox pregame show more than CBS. I just can't stand Shannon Sharpe.

James Brown, Bob Costas, Howie Long are probably my three favorite. Kurt Menefee isn't bad. Not to veer off topic, but despite it being the NFC station, I find myself watching the Fox pregame show more than CBS. I just can't stand Shannon Sharpe.

That's probably what I should've originally posted, guys on tv we all hate. People these days just love to talk about that. I'll keep it in mind to negatively spin my next topic.

Exactly what we don't need..."the next Terry Bradshaw"! Aren't there enough of these blithering idiots on the tele already! :P

By that I meant the 'role' he plays in the group. I'm simply assigned to fill that as to what I believe the GENERAL audience wants to see which is:

1. sexy

2. controversial

3. funny

4. contemporary

5. youthful

6. knowledgeable

...and probably about that order but I'm no marketing guru.

I can see your point about the music as there are too many styles to please everyone it seems... thanks for your sincere feedback.

Who is a smart, former player that would make a good analyst? Dan Fouts?

Fouts does color on games, I think..or does he only do college now?

I know I will get crucified for saying this, but Dan Dierdorf is really good doing Sunday afternoon games...he really toned his act down, post MNF, and is less of a hype master, and more of a football guy... he is really good at breaking down line play, during the games, and pointing out small things you might not notice, that are impacting a game. Of course, he has a face for radio, so doing color is perfect for him.

Edited by Buftex

That's probably what I should've originally posted, guys on tv we all hate. People these days just love to talk about that. I'll keep it in mind to negatively spin my next topic.

Well considering I started my post with the guys I liked, you're not making much sense to me here unless there's sarcasm or something I'm missing. Just using someone who is an example of the antithesis of a good analyst.