Couple of random Bills stats I found

jonramz

1) Last year the Bills had 22 3rd downs against the Patriots

They passed on 19 of them, what did they do on the other 3?

Kicked 2 field goals (made one, missed one), and Fitzpatrick scrambled on the other

Not a running play to be found.

2) The % of snaps the Bills operate out of the shotgun

Note: 2nd and 3rd down are separated out into what I would consider "short" and "long" for their respective down and distances.

1st and 10 46% shotgun

2nd and 1-5 50% shotgun

2nd and 6+ 61% shotgun

3rd and 1-4 67% shotgun

3rd and 5+ 89% shotgun

I thought they were pretty interesting stats... it's the offseason, I'm going through football withdrawal

-Jon

yardsperpass.com

EDIT: See my post below for further stat breakdowns

Edited by jonramz

Thanks for compiling but without comparables, the stats are meaningless.

Also, 3rd and 1-4 doesn't break it down enough.

Most teams consider 3rd and 4 a passing down, but 3rd and 1 is a very different animal and shouldn't be lumped together with 3rd and 4.

a little overly harsh IMO. The stats aren't meaningless, we passed on all of them. But yes, the data should be separated a little more to differentiate 3 & 1-2 vs 3 & 3-5 which as you said are very different animals.

a little overly harsh IMO. The stats aren't meaningless, we passed on all of them. But yes, the data should be separated a little more to differentiate 3 & 1-2 vs 3 & 3-5 which as you said are very different animals.

Mark, my other point was that if these figures don't deviate from the league averages, then they really don't tell you anything at all.

So the Bills go to shotgun 89% of the time in 3rd and 5.

Well if that's the league average, what does it tell you?

That Gailey is pass-happy? No, actually it would say that his play calling is in line with the league norm.

That's what I meant by "comparables."

Unfortunately, the NFL doesn't release stats like this about every team, all of this had to come by reviewing every game's play by play data. Otherwise I most definitely would have compared them to the NFL average.

As far as the 3rd and 1, 3rd and 2 vs 3rd 3-5, here are those stats.

For the Bills, 3rd and 1 was completely different than 3rd and 2. 3rd and 2 was treated much more as a passing down, than a running down

3rd and 1

Shotgun: 24%

Pass: 14%

Run: 86%

---Wildcat: 28% (60% success rate) B. Smith stopped only once

--- QB Sneak 33%

Overall success rate 62% (one success via penalty)

3rd and 2

Shotgun: 69%

Pass: 85%

Run: 15%

---Wildcat: 50%

Overall success rate 46% (all runs were successful)

3rd 3-5

Shotgun: 93%

Pass: 93% (1 scramble, 1 sack)

Run: 7%

---Wildcat: 25%

Overall success rate 43%

Btw the Bills finished 28th in 3rd down conversion % in the NFL, only 32.5%, not good

-Jon

yardsperpass.com

That is intersting at first. But, in many of those situations I would bet we needed to pass. of the 19 how many did we complete?

Bills completed 63% of the passes

Bills were successful in converting on 32%

-Jon

yardsperpass.com