Bountygate turns litigate

I have seen no evidence that Payton or Williams have claimed publically anything other than their culpability in this whole mess. It is not possible for me at this time to believe they are being railroaded. Until they say otherwise, they are as guilty as they have already claimed to be.

It's also interesting to note that the Coach who filed the statement for Vilma is not pursuing any action on his own.

Edited by jeremy2020

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's also interesting to note that the Coach who filed the statement for Vilma is not pursuing any action on his own.

honest question: what interesting legal pursuits do you think would best suit him at this point?

in fact the nfl has publicly said he wasnt suspended for the favre bounty even though his name was listed right next to vilmas with a dollar amount.

the situations are different on these guys.

I understood they didn't show up at their appeals.

I don't think Vilma's defamation suit is in regard to any specific event (holding money)--it is the fact that Goodell has labled Vilma of paid bounty hunting. His suit has no chance of winning, but it will bring in the evidence.

The CBA constricts the legal avenues of the players, not the coaches. The coaches can bring any civil action they want if they think they are being wrongly accused. I have seen no evidence that Payton or Williams have claimed publically anything other than their culpability in this whole mess. It is not possible for me at this time to believe they are being railroaded. Until they say otherwise, they are as guilty as they have already claimed to be.

the cba does constrict a lot of avenues, but a violation of that document would open up others. the players are alleging that the nfl violated the cba. the coaches dont have an agreement in place that has been alleged to be violated, so they do not have quite the same recourse from this point.

the coaches would have to go strictly to federal labor laws in place here and their contracts - and honestly, im not well versed enough to discuss that, but from what i have heard from people far more familiar is that short of a similar defamation suit (which wouldnt force the nfl to overturn penalties - and even if the evidence came out it would likely take long enough that theres an issue with the fact that wouldnt force the court to impose a restraining order for the suspensions in the mean time either....). Essentially, the coaches are SOL and can go with the flow and hope to make the process smooth and not be a distraction, get reinstated, in SPs case get next years draft pick back - or they can file suits that likely will not be successful and in the process become an extra layer of distraction, and possibly see headaches next year when the nfl decides if each had learned enough from their punishments. especially since much of their punishment rests on the idea that their denials were lies. if they keep denying publicly do they continue to see further punishment?

all they can do from here is help the players and Vitt (who doesnt need to be reinstated and has also been vocal, probably not coincidently) has officially done so.

Some new stuff coming out with the nfl filings today --

one interesting exhibit is linked below - the part that i think stands out is its an independent person (doctor from duke) with pretty wide access to the team in 2011 saying no targeted bounties - link off another board i read, has the document and some discussion on the board:

1. There were no opposing players singled out as a bounty target.

2. There were no rewards offered for injuring an opposing player.

3. There was significant discussion regarding technique and purpose of play.

4. Players were recognized for critical defensive plays such as Interceptions, tackles for loss,

etc.

5. I did not observe Sean Payton or Mickey Loomis in any of the meetings I attended.

http://saintsreport.com/forums/attachments/f2/59412d1342805258-goodell-nfl-file-motion-dismiss-nflpa-vilmas-claims-sham-appeal-contains-evidentiary-exhibits-league-letter-nflpa-claiming-cba-does-not-require-discovery-witnesses.pdf

this wouldnt speak to 2009 but its more than we have previously seen, and im still digging in the document some.

Edited by NoSaint

Well, today is a big day in this process - Vilma is headed to court on the injunction hearing which should give some idea if the court has any intention of really going into the process.

he will be bringing a slew of witnesses, himself, Saints interim Coach Joe Vitt, Scott Shanle, Roman Harper, Jonathan Casillias, Sedrick Ellis, Troy Evans and Randall Gay all intend to speak.

and in a bills related note - pierson prioleau also submitted an affadavit yesterday saying that gregg was just being gregg and was the same with all 4 teams he played under him at. he spoke a big game but it was just pep talks. also says vilma never offered cash for favre or warner.

Edited by NoSaint