Cleveland thinking about Travis

VABills

http://www.cleveland.com/search/index.ssf?...22530.xml?s1bro

One off-season suggestion

for the Browns: dump both running backs William Green (too unpredictable) and Lee Suggs (an overrated runner who has built his rep on two good games). Then, trade for Travis Henry of Buffalo: while he's now injured, Henry is a proven 1,000-yard rusher who'll likely leave the Bills after the season.

I would want a 2nd and 4th rd pick for him

186091[/snapback]

That would be nice, but it's not very realistic. The draft and FA market is deep at RB currently and Trav probably won't agree to a trade without the other team making some sort of extension offer on his deal.

I think the best the Bills can hope for is a 2nd rounder (and that is steep) with a conditional second pick for 2006 (maybe as high as a 3rd but probably a 4th or 5th).

The most realistic offer from Cleveland would be a 4th rounder, possibly a 3rd, with a conditional pick in 06.

That being said, I think the Bills would be better served keeping Trav for another year at a minimum salary...assuming he would be as professional as he has been this year. (and that's a big assumption).

I think I go comditional picks for Travis. I'd ask for a 1st and the potential partmer would say no and offer a 4th or lower. I settle for taking at least a thrid with conditional escalators if he gets a certain number of carries or a certain yardsge I get a first.

If you think he sucks then your problem with this deal should not be giving a first for targets you think he will never hit because he sucks but your problem should be with someone giving up a 3ed as a floor.

I have no problem with the Bills taking a 4th as a floor also.

If I am Travis I think staying with the Bills is probably a good thing for me in terms of getting a big payday. The injury creates enough uncertainty he will be in a poor position or unable to negotiate a good new deal until he proves himself a bit. As was shown by the injury fear with WM last week if TH stays he will almost certainly get a chance with the Bills next year to showcase himself as a sub or unfortunately it is not unlikely he would get a start.

That would be nice, but it's not very realistic. The draft and FA market is deep at RB currently and Trav probably won't agree to a trade without the other team making some sort of extension offer on his deal.

That being said, I think the Bills would be better served keeping Trav for another year at a minimum salary...assuming he would be as professional as he has been this year. (and that's a big assumption).

186099[/snapback]

The more times I hear what a bargain Travis Henry is, the more I have visions of him as a 40-year-old with a bad limp in both legs, homeless, and wearing the same pair of Buffalo Bills practice sweats every day....

His one-year extention on the cheap (the preseason after his Pro Bowl appearance?) was brought about by a situation where he was apparently broke. Travis, let's put it kindly, has never been the stickiest stamp in the book. And I hate to say, but if the Bills had given him a $4 million contract, he would've been sitting next to a pile of Pet Rocks the next day.

He really needs someone to help him manage his finances, and perhaps to check IDs of the girls he brings home. :ph34r:

BTW -- sulking on the end of the bench with arms folded across your chest is "professional"?

Guest RabidBillsFanVT

We should trade Travis Henry AND Josh Reed in some sort of deal, keep Moulds here until he retires, draft a replacement that is a better third-slot reciever, and to draft Nugent as suggested. I don't know the cap numbers on Reed, but we must do something to make sure we improve our K position, our WR depth, AND frees us up to draft quality OLmen.

We should trade Travis Henry AND Josh Reed in some sort of deal, keep Moulds here until he retires, draft a replacement that is a better third-slot reciever, and to draft Nugent as suggested. I don't know the cap numbers on Reed, but we must do something to make sure we improve our K position, our WR depth, AND frees us up to draft quality OLmen.

186209[/snapback]

Again, it seems really doubtful to me that we draft Nugent. I haven't seen him and he may be just the player we want that provides us with the potent kicker threat that Vinatieri and Vanderjagt provide.

However, to do this means that we act on Lindell by cutting him and:

1. We end up with 600k of deadspace on our salary cap in addition to whatever allocation Nugent gets slotted for as a 3rd or 2nd round pick it will likely take to get him.

2. Lindell has shown no ability to make kicks beyond 40 yards, but the rookie Nugent will have to provide good statistical output inside of 40 (quite likely but we all know how squirrely kickers can be), proper directional kicking for the return game and hangtime which Lindell does quite well (not a no brainer in the winds of the Ralph and with the transition from college to pro), and demonstrate skills in onside kick return (rarely called upon but Lindell did this extremely well influencing a game this year for the Bills). Nugent will have to equal this to make the gain in long kick ability worth the substantial cap hit.

3. Lindell's big problem is no record of making game winning kicks or kicks from a distance, but we simply have not used him at all in these situations as oddly we have gone a couple of years without needing this because mostly we get blown out or are blowing people out. MM has shown no confidence in him doing these kicks as a couple of his misses came in bad conditions which do not auger well for him even doing a long kick in good conditions. However, he has hit a couple of long kicks we took off the scoreboard with timeouts and i doubt that the braintrust will upset some good coverage work and demonstrated onside work for a long kicking benefit they may well be able to train Lindell into.

4. We are missing our 1st rounder having spent this on Losman and there are other needs for depth which we are more likely to use our first couple of picks for such as OL, back-up RB, back-up LB etc,

I'm not arguing that having long range kick ability or Nugent is bad or unnecessary, I'm just arguing it appears very unlikely to me the Bills will do this.

Guest RabidBillsFanVT

ANYTHING to replace Lindell at kicker... oline is OBVIOUSLY close, now that they have real help and coaches that have a clue.

ANYTHING to replace Lindell at kicker... oline is OBVIOUSLY close, now that they have real help and coaches that have a clue.

186282[/snapback]

Lindell sucks for long distance kicks (40+) but do you see the Bills absorbing the cap hits and deadspace that signing Nugent would entail.

Do you or others assign any importance to Lindell doing well with the kickoff game as demonstrated by the great drive starts and tackling our coverage team produces in conjunction with his directional kicks, and mix of squib kicks and height? Do you or others assign any importance to Lindell's demonstrated performance in onside kicks?

I simply do not see April wanting to upset the very good ST kick coverage performance by taking on a rookie to train in this regard if there is a substantial cap cost and the usual rookie uncertainties in doing so. I do not see the Bills braintrust admitting that TD was flat out wrong when he said good kickers are a dime a dozen and gave big bucks to Lindell based on this.

If Cleveland dumps Lee Suggs I´d love to see him backup Willis here in Buffalo.

186179[/snapback]

Definately. Suggs has speed and moves but wasn't healthy at all this eyar. He was also part of an atrocious offense.

side note: In madden, we refer to beating your opponant in the running back drill as "lee suggsing him"

Guest RabidBillsFanVT
Lindell sucks for long distance kicks (40+) but do you see the Bills absorbing the cap hits and deadspace that signing Nugent would entail.

Do you or others assign any importance to Lindell doing well with the kickoff game as demonstrated by the great drive starts and tackling our coverage team produces in conjunction with his directional kicks, and mix of squib kicks and height?  Do you or others assign any importance to Lindell's demonstrated performance in onside kicks?

I simply do not see April wanting to upset the very good ST kick coverage performance by taking on a rookie to train in this regard if there is a substantial cap cost and the usual rookie uncertainties in doing so.  I do not see the Bills braintrust admitting that TD was flat out wrong when he said good kickers are a dime a dozen and gave big bucks to Lindell based on this.

186297[/snapback]

The changes in special teams will not be near as a factor as having a reliable kicker. Without a reliable kicker, inevitable close games in playoff situations become very dangerous. Game plans that would call for FG tries would be nixed in favor of punting or going for it. This change dooms a team that gets no points out of crucial drives.

Lindell is a liability in close games... we just haven't had many this year since our amazing run. Nugent is a NECESSITY.

What I would assume TD would do in the offseason is the same thing he did with Peerless. Bring TH into his office, ask him whether he wants to be traded this year or play out the last year of his contract with the Bills. If he wants to be traded, get a list of potential teams that Henry would LIKE to go to, and see what happens. I do see Henry traded this offseason, but I wouldnt expect anything more than a 3rd rounder for him.