OUR LB'S ????

John Potter - We all know that Potter pounds punts pleasingly and picks plays he prefers while providing plentiful peerless pigskin prognostications which gives Peter Piper a plethora of punts for his pesos...

Precisely! Potter pooches precision punts perennially!

I think you should make a thread for bills alliteration!

Edited by Billsrhody

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we just don't know what we have at linebacker until we see these guys play. I believe some of the guys we had the last two years were not perfect fits in a 3-4, and now we have guys who are not prototypical of a 4-3 linebacker, either. It's going to come down to a few things, and who's to say right now which way it will go?

Barnett, I think, if he stays healthy, will be great - he was excellent last year, and this year he'll have an easier time of it, I think. Sheppard is a wild-card. We'll have to wait and see, but if Wannstedt thinks he's got it, then who are we to doubt him? The last linebacker spot has some question marks. Morrison might turn back into that guy he was a few years ago. If he does, no one will be complaining about finding a replacement. I, too, feel that we got steals in Bradham and Carder, who, I believe, could each start in a few years. And then there are the tweeners like Moats and Batten. Maybe Wannstedt has some special formations brewing for these bigger linemen?

I see talent here. McKillop? I think that's his name. He was on SanFran's team, and they have stud LB's. Maybe he'll turn out okay? Bottom line - they shouldn't have to be great. Were the Giants linebackers great during their past two SuperBowl runs? I think we might be surprised at how well our LB's end up playing this year, and we might not have to even look to upgrade, out of necessity, next offseason.

I think we just don't know what we have at linebacker until we see these guys play. I believe some of the guys we had the last two years were not perfect fits in a 3-4, and now we have guys who are not prototypical of a 4-3 linebacker, either. It's going to come down to a few things, and who's to say right now which way it will go?

Barnett, I think, if he stays healthy, will be great - he was excellent last year, and this year he'll have an easier time of it, I think. Sheppard is a wild-card. We'll have to wait and see, but if Wannstedt thinks he's got it, then who are we to doubt him? The last linebacker spot has some question marks. Morrison might turn back into that guy he was a few years ago. If he does, no one will be complaining about finding a replacement. I, too, feel that we got steals in Bradham and Carder, who, I believe, could each start in a few years. And then there are the tweeners like Moats and Batten. Maybe Wannstedt has some special formations brewing for these bigger linemen?

I see talent here. McKillop? I think that's his name. He was on SanFran's team, and they have stud LB's. Maybe he'll turn out okay? Bottom line - they shouldn't have to be great. Were the Giants linebackers great during their past two SuperBowl runs? I think we might be surprised at how well our LB's end up playing this year, and we might not have to even look to upgrade, out of necessity, next offseason.

I was thinking this same thing. I could see the bills lining up in a lot of 5-1-5. get your 5 best linemen on the field, have Barnett play MLB(he is a good cover and run defender) then have 3 CB and 2 safeties. This formation would be good against NE and many of th epass happy teams the Bills play. The extra lineman can also bump the TE and through off timing.

Not True.

You want Morrison at OLB in a 4-3 where he had some success. The problem is you have two MLB in Barnett and Shepp.

the question is how good will Barnett be at OLB and how good will Shepp be at MLB.

Barnett was playing OLB in 10 of 17 games last year (with Shep or Davis in the MLB). PFF ranked Barnett positively in 8 of those 10.

I was thinking this same thing. I could see the bills lining up in a lot of 5-1-5. get your 5 best linemen on the field, have Barnett play MLB(he is a good cover and run defender) then have 3 CB and 2 safeties. This formation would be good against NE and many of th epass happy teams the Bills play. The extra lineman can also bump the TE and through off timing.

Tank Carder played in a 4-2-5 at TCU.

WOW.. VERY bold statement... If he EVER becomes our "starting LT I will nominate you to be the Bills next GM or at the very least assistant GM... I agree about Brooks. He actually WILL see the field a bunch. But as you pointed out it will more than likely be on nickel and dime packages where the defense will be playing obvious passing situations. A couple pressures from the D-line might lead to his name being called on an interception or two I'll give you that. Our CB's being called "junk heap" is way over the line also. This year we're going into the season pretty damn good at CB...

About Tank I believe you're wrong for two things. One is I never said he will start or beat out Shepp. The other is him playing special teams and making plays "IS and WILL be" a key role for him. If he produces there, he will definitely be on the field as a backup to the MLB position. This is how 5th rounders make names for themselves and eventually start...

It all leads to hope on our part. I doubt you'd be upset if you were wrong about Glenn and he actually did become an elite LT as also I wouldn't be upset if Zebrie became the same. As opinions go though, I'm definitely looking for Tank's name to be called this year.

Not really that bold considering most Draft guru's have Saunders as the only Tackle we drafted grading out as a true LT prospect, and fact he has a ton of potential. Personal like the Saunders pick as the best value pick we made in draft, and while he may not reach his potential, it is not that much of a stretch to see him being our starting LT in 3 years approximately.

As far as Tank, it isn't unreasonable to see him getting good amount of reps in the defense as year goes on. Think he will be allot better in pass defense than Shepp and may get more and more reps as year goes on against teams that pass more than run.

Edited by rstencel

We are all set at the linebacker positions. Each one brings a slightly different wrinkle to the field. Barnett can do it all. Morrison is perfect for strong side work. Sheppard by Wanny's account is going to develop into the tackling machine. Scott McKillop was very highly rated smart and focused player coming into the nfl and got hung out a bit with the injury he is still working through. And by the way is a D.W. guy and will do well behind Kelvin.

Our new draftees.. Bradham is a hitter and should develop behind Morrison's veteran guidance as Slb and Carder will get the finesse side of the game from Nick. If these kids can pick it up quickly we will have a rotation that will compare to our d-line. One thing for sure is a that all our linebackers are smart enough to play the positions and know where the ball is going. and then get there.

Have i had too much koolaid again?

We are all set at the linebacker positions. Each one brings a slightly different wrinkle to the field. Barnett can do it all. Morrison is perfect for strong side work. Sheppard by Wanny's account is going to develop into the tackling machine. Scott McKillop was very highly rated smart and focused player coming into the nfl and got hung out a bit with the injury he is still working through. And by the way is a D.W. guy and will do well behind Kelvin.

Our new draftees.. Bradham is a hitter and should develop behind Morrison's veteran guidance as Slb and Carder will get the finesse side of the game from Nick. If these kids can pick it up quickly we will have a rotation that will compare to our d-line. One thing for sure is a that all our linebackers are smart enough to play the positions and know where the ball is going. and then get there.

Have i had too much koolaid again?

Idk what the drink is called but I drink it all the time... Here have one on me... :beer:

Edited by DefenseWinzChampionshipz

Attention alliterative authors…

postings of poetic pronunciations possibly pending.

Potentially pedantic perusings pertaining to, per se, and of poetic pronouncing, predate possible pending postings plying purchase post haste perfunctorily.

Please already!

in other words "if you try to run up on me i am going to take your helmet clean off and send it to your Momma." quote K Sheppard " and you see those two guys behind me? Lord help you if you get past me. "

Edited by 3rdand12

Potentially pedantic perusings pertaining to, per se, and of poetic pronouncing, predate possible pending postings plying purchase post haste perfunctorily.

Please already!

in other words "if you try to run up on me i am going to take your helmet clean off and send it to your Momma." quote K Sheppard " and you see those two guys behind me? Lord help you if you get past me. "

Good one... This game uses too many brain cells...

I like to drink it too however it's embarrassing farting rainbows all the time...

You have to drink the lactose free brand...

Edited by DefenseWinzChampionshipz

I think we are ok at LB, particularly when you consider the following:

1) our D-line will be amazing, this will make even an average LB look all pro.

2) Barnett played coverage in Green Bay I think. He will be fine.

3) Sheppard looked good-great, while missing all off season last year due to the lockout. Look for him to have a huge year.

4) We have some pretty good backups from our draft class, and don't forget about FA Scott McKillup. The guy was a First-Team All American at Pitt and BE Defensive Player of the Year.

5) Conclusion: I think one of our LB emerges as a Pro Bowl player, (Sheppard?), perhaps two (Shep and Barnett). If the rookies and McKillup show promise, a rotation at LB is also possible, making fresh bodies on D for almost every down.

Sheppard looked ok at best.

I think we all agree on that one. But Dave W has been talkin the kid up and i trust he knows who he wants calling his defense. i still figure him as two down linebacker. we shall see how he develops

No question. Aside from the hit he put on Mike Vick that forced the pick six in Week 5, I can't remember a single game-changing play out of Shep. Look at the scenario, however:

-- no OTAs or team-monitored conditioning program because of lockout (I'm sure he worked out on his own, but it's not the same thing)

-- came into training camp a little heavy, suffered hamstring injury early

-- limited reps in TC

-- inserted into lineup while still "raw"

-- no D line help to speak of

Let's not forget, Shep wasn't some all-world 1st round pick expected to come in and wow everyone. He was an early 3rd rounder -- the sort of player you hope to get 1st-year contributions from, but who will clearly need some time to become acclimated to the NFL.

Wanny clearly believes Shep has the potential to succeed at MLB, and with the benefit of all the offseason work we should soon find out if that belief is well founded.

Sorry if this topic has been discussed recently but...

I can't help but worry a bit about our linebackers.

Read somewhere that Barnett is playing outside full time for the first time ever.

Morrison is decent but was never really more than that.

Shep has only a handful of starts in his career.

I know our d-line should take some pressure off them but we really need them to make plays for us.

Are they up for it?

Thoughts?

Initially I was concerned about the Bills LB's, but I am less so now. Morrison is not spectacular, but a very capable and experienced vet. Barnett is a top level LB IMO, great speed, and he should thrive as a weak side LB. Absolutely no concern there.

My only real concern is Sheppard, I thought he looked iffy last season, and now he is being asked to learn a new defense (granted a similar one to what he played in college), and has been penciled in to start without having proved anything. It would have been nice for there to be a competition, after all Morrison has actually been a MLB his whole NFL career.

I do like the depth they picked up in the draft though, particularly Bradham. I get the impression he could step in and start right away if needed. I don't know a ton about Carder, but I heard his strength is instincts and tackling. Instincts are far more important than combine numbers IMO.

Like always we have to hope for health, If Sheppard were to get hurt, that would throw everything off. Either White would take his spot (hope not), or Morrison would have to switch back to MLB, and Bradham gets thrown in at the strong side.

Even more important is Barnett's health, we don't have anyone on the roster that can even come close to his capability on the weak side. We NEED him, all season.

Edited by Turbosrrgood