Nik Wallenda stumbled on May 9 tightrope walk above Baltimore harbor

zow2

The city will take him to court spending how many tens of thousands just to get the guy to pay on his debt. Sad and pathetic, hope the guy falls next time to avoid him costing taxpayers money.

lol, I was hoping he would have fallen this time since he had his little harness.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now, from what I read today, he said that he paid the state $125K and the money was supposed to come out of there. So, I guess it's not as cut and dried as it looked.

This is getting ridiculous...

Canada is really coming off much more classy than NYS is... Then again, Ontario is in a better position.

Now, from what I read today, he said that he paid the state $125K and the money was supposed to come out of there. So, I guess it's not as cut and dried as it looked.

Saw the same thing....

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/21/nyregion/wallendas-niagara-falls-tightrope-walk-leads-to-dispute-over-the-bill.html

When Mr. Wallenda asked state lawmakers last year to enact special legislation to give him permission to undertake his crossing, they included a provision requiring him to pay for “reasonable costs associated with security or law enforcement” stemming from his walk. Mr. Wallenda’s lawyer, John P. Bartolomei, said that Mr. Wallenda’s starting point was in a state park overlooking the falls and that the Wallenda group had paid the state $200,000 for costs associated with the event. He said any money the city spent was related only to its “exploitation of the event,” not the walk itself. “They claim to be broke all the time,” Mr. Bartolomei said of city officials, “but don’t put it on Nik Wallenda’s shoulders. All he did was good things. He got the city tens of millions of free worldwide advertising.”

I have to retract my original post that it seemed like he was being an ahole. Now, it seems that he did pay what he promised and it's the usual dopes of Niagara Falls politics that are the ones in the wrong.

It's just that the Buff News only reported half the story, that NF wanted more money. Other, out of town reporters, got his side of the story, that I linked to above. Another article I saw when this first came out gave the amount he paid to Canada, (can't find a link to it of course) but it was more than he paid NY.

It's just that the Buff News only reported half the story, that NF wanted more money. Other, out of town reporters, got his side of the story, that I linked to above. Another article I saw when this first came out gave the amount he paid to Canada, (can't find a link to it of course) but it was more than he paid NY.

That sounds like the Buffalo News we know!

I had a hunch NF, NY was the one being pimpy... Canada was coming off 180 degrees in the opposite direction... Sure they are better off... But come on!... No pun intended, but how could both sides of the border be that far apart on the issue?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois