Any Jeep Grand Cherokee owners out there

I have the opprtunity to get a 2000 model with 120k miles. One owner, a mechanic, who took good care of it. Are there any known mechanical issues with that car? I know gas mileage will kill me, but more concerned about durability and don't want it to be 'too expensive' for regular maintenance. Any feedback would be appreciated.

I have that model and really like it (outside of gas mileage). No big issues, but maintenance is expensive no matter what vehicle you have.

All of the issues on my vehicle have been due to rust from having it in salty areas so much. Outside of that, it has been great.

I have the opprtunity to get a 2000 model with 120k miles. One owner, a mechanic, who took good care of it. Are there any known mechanical issues with that car? I know gas mileage will kill me, but more concerned about durability and don't want it to be 'too expensive' for regular maintenance. Any feedback would be appreciated.

I bought a 96 with 160k miles before last winter for the snow (that never came). It's developed a problem with the electrical system (battery dies even after i recharge it) and has sit unused for over a month. pretty sure it needs an alternator (maybe just a new battery) but it's been a low priority for me. the v8 is horrible on gas. has some other electrical quirks - idiot lights for low coolant when it's full, some slipping of tranny from park to drive. Only cost me 2k so if i get another winter out of it i'm ok but in retrospect, i shoulda bought a used subaru - 160,000 is just getting broken in with those.

I have a mechanic friend who owns a repair shop and all he's owned in the last 10 years are Jeep Cherokees. He readily admits they aren't the most reliable vehicles but says he likes them because they're easy to work on and replacement parts are comparatively cheap.

Edited by linksfiend

Doesn't do well on hills...

:w00t:

What Motor? The 4.0L inline 6's are actually a very good reliable motor. Even the 8's are pretty reliable too. They are very similar to the ones used in the Dodge pickups (basically the same motor with a couple minor changes). I think the issues with those were the transmissions used with the v8s

Otherwise, besides maybe the mileage, I don't think theres any major issues that would be any different from any other vehicle out there. And as for the mileage, they way to look at it if you are concerned about it is that you should not be looking at a heavy SUV to get decent mileage and should get a civic or a smartcar. I have a 2001 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab with the 4.7L v8 and my mileage is about 15-16 MPG's right now, I'm trying to see what I can do to increase that.

I have owned a couple of Jeeps in my short time driving (13 years?), 2 YJs (or wranglers as you call them) and 2 Grand Cherokees (one that I drove, and another that I found out after picking it up for a couple hundred that it had a blown transmission). My experience with the Grand Cherokee that drove was a 1998 Limited (Fully loaded with the even bigger 5.9L v8 that was only put into them for one year) and besides having to fill up at ever gas station it passed, the biggest concerns for that model was the trasfer cases. The np249 cases were garbage, the newer versions they used were a bit better, but take a look at whats currently in it. The problem cases were found to be the ones were the didn't have the option to use only 2wd. They had alltime 4wd and the device inside (called a viscous coupler) that would transfer the power while driving would lock up and basically lock you into 4wd killing your gas mileage and making very tight turns difficult (like you were turning with a locked differential). I think the 2000+ models did away with the older transfer cases that contained a viscous coupler and were much better for every day city driving

That was probably a lot more rambling then you were looking for, but hopefully it helped. The grands are a nice semi luxurious SUV that can go alot of places a car won't take you, and great for winter driving.

it has the 4.7 v8 engine....

What Motor? The 4.0L inline 6's are actually a very good reliable motor. Even the 8's are pretty reliable too. They are very similar to the ones used in the Dodge pickups (basically the same motor with a couple minor changes). I think the issues with those were the transmissions used with the v8s

Otherwise, besides maybe the mileage, I don't think theres any major issues that would be any different from any other vehicle out there. And as for the mileage, they way to look at it if you are concerned about it is that you should not be looking at a heavy SUV to get decent mileage and should get a civic or a smartcar. I have a 2001 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab with the 4.7L v8 and my mileage is about 15-16 MPG's right now, I'm trying to see what I can do to increase that.

I have owned a couple of Jeeps in my short time driving (13 years?), 2 YJs (or wranglers as you call them) and 2 Grand Cherokees (one that I drove, and another that I found out after picking it up for a couple hundred that it had a blown transmission). My experience with the Grand Cherokee that drove was a 1998 Limited (Fully loaded with the even bigger 5.9L v8 that was only put into them for one year) and besides having to fill up at ever gas station it passed, the biggest concerns for that model was the trasfer cases. The np249 cases were garbage, the newer versions they used were a bit better, but take a look at whats currently in it. The problem cases were found to be the ones were the didn't have the option to use only 2wd. They had alltime 4wd and the device inside (called a viscous coupler) that would transfer the power while driving would lock up and basically lock you into 4wd killing your gas mileage and making very tight turns difficult (like you were turning with a locked differential). I think the 2000+ models did away with the older transfer cases that contained a viscous coupler and were much better for every day city driving

That was probably a lot more rambling then you were looking for, but hopefully it helped. The grands are a nice semi luxurious SUV that can go alot of places a car won't take you, and great for winter driving.

Well, i found it helpful. This is probably what's going wrong in my 96 limited. I have the type of transmission you desribed (hydratrac?) No way i'm fixing the tranny. I'm hoping to drive it 20 miles round trip 5-10 times a year. I'll just keep my fingers crossed.

it has the 4.7 v8 engine....

Then the only possible issues I have heard of might be with the transmission IIRC

Well, i found it helpful. This is probably what's going wrong in my 96 limited. I have the type of transmission you desribed (hydratrac?) No way i'm fixing the tranny. I'm hoping to drive it 20 miles round trip 5-10 times a year. I'll just keep my fingers crossed.

The Quadratrac (np249) transfer cases (part that goes on the rear of the tranmsion to make it 4wd) I believe they were called were teh ones that had the viscous couplers and were an "all-time 4wd" transfer case (I think your options were a 4hi (alltime), 4 low, and neutral on the shifter). they aren't worth repairing the transfer case, if its gone, you can still drive it and either live with slightly crappy mileage and a weird bang/jump when making tight turns, or replace with a transfer case with the 2wd, 4hi, 4low neutral options also found in jeeps (inline 6 and v8s). Its not a hard swap if you can get a replacement, I did one in a few hours on my back in a small garage.

Then the only possible issues I have heard of might be with the transmission IIRC

The Quadratrac (np249) transfer cases (part that goes on the rear of the tranmsion to make it 4wd) I believe they were called were teh ones that had the viscous couplers and were an "all-time 4wd" transfer case (I think your options were a 4hi (alltime), 4 low, and neutral on the shifter). they aren't worth repairing the transfer case, if its gone, you can still drive it and either live with slightly crappy mileage and a weird bang/jump when making tight turns, or replace with a transfer case with the 2wd, 4hi, 4low neutral options also found in jeeps (inline 6 and v8s). Its not a hard swap if you can get a replacement, I did one in a few hours on my back in a small garage.

thanks for the info. i think i'll just live with it but it's good to know what the fix would likely be.