Mack Brown - Texas - New 10 Year Contract

Mark VI

He can recruit and win 10 games a year. He also cannot beat Oklahoma.

25 Million dollars. Wow.

184753[/snapback]

He's also a good interview. They have yet to put a team on the field that SHOULD be Oklahoma. They just aren't quite there.

Part of the reason he's getting this deal is his bitching/whining about not getting into the BCS actually worked this season.

The extension thing for Mack Brown is a little exagerrated. He was already under contract for another 7 years, so this extension amounts to another 3 years, and about a 100,000 a year raise.

I work with the University of Texas athletics department, and I can tell you, this will not be all that well received by everyone. The truth is, Mack is a hell of a nice guy, but is only slightly above average as a head coach. He is a great recruiter, but not an X's and O's guy. Rick Barnes, the UT men's basketball coach, on the other hand, is a great recruiter, a great X's and O's guy, and has revived the UT men's basketball program that Tom Penders had sapped the life out of.

It is not so much that I have a problem with Mack Brown getting the extension, it is the timing. He was still under contract for another 7 years, his graduation rates are fairly low, and the team really has not accomplished much of anything. Sure, they are good for 10 wins a year, but the "big" game victory (in their case, Oklahoma) has managed to evade them for years.

• 3 weeks later...
The extension thing for Mack Brown is a little exagerrated.  He was already under contract for another 7 years, so this extension amounts to another 3 years, and about a 100,000 a year raise. 

I work with the University of Texas athletics department, and I can tell you, this will not be all that well received by everyone.  The truth is, Mack is a hell of a nice guy, but is only slightly above average as a head coach.  He is a great recruiter, but not an X's and O's guy.  Rick Barnes, the UT men's basketball coach, on the other hand, is a great recruiter, a great X's and O's guy, and has revived the UT men's basketball program that Tom Penders had sapped the life out of. 

It is not so much that I have a problem with Mack Brown getting the extension, it is the timing.  He was still under contract for another 7 years, his graduation rates are fairly low, and the team really has not accomplished much of anything.  Sure, they are good for 10 wins a year, but the "big" game victory (in their case, Oklahoma) has managed to evade them for years.

185809[/snapback]

I'm no fan of Mack Brown, especially after the shameless lobbying crap he did this year to get into a BCS bowl. I do, however, recognize that he did a great job of getting the 'Horns stocked with talent. He probably will do enough to keep them competitive for the next few years. Now, does that mean he'll be able to get over the hump in the Red River Shootout? Time will tell, but that's where he needs to excel. People know he can recruit; now he has to show everyone he can hold his own coaching against the likes of Stoops.

He probably will do enough to keep them competitive for the next few years.  Now, does that mean he'll be able to get over the hump in the Red River Shootout?  Time will tell, but that's where he needs to excel.  People know he can recruit; now he has to show everyone he can hold his own coaching against the likes of Stoops.

218043[/snapback]

That's why Ohio St. dumped John Cooper. 10-11 wins and good recruiting every year. Still, only 2 wins against Michigan in 14 tries. Couldn't get over that hurdle. I lost count how many times they entered that game undefeated and lost. Jim Tressel came on board, wins a National Championship in year 2 and is 3-1 against Michigan. Ask their fans who they prefer.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.