Straight From The Grill...

Well whadda ya know? I figured out how to log back into this dadgum thing!

Now I’m not normally much for talking, as I’ve always been more of a casual reader on these boards, but I thought enough time had passed since my first post that I could sound off a bit more while tending to these Zweigles White Hots I’ve got cookin’. I might not say anything that hasn’t been said before, but fresh perspective can be nice, so grab a seat, crack a cold one and try the wing dip, ‘cause here it comes... straight from the grill!

So, you remember that old car that nobody wanted a few years ago? (Check the link to my first post if you don’t) That hunkajunker was such an eyesore here in Western NY that we couldn’t even get some folks to take a look (I’m so glad things are working out in DC, Mike). Alright, so a few pieces were rusty, some out of place, and others were just missing all together. But like any great restoration project, you’ve gotta strip it all down to find out what you’ve got.

To his credit, Buddy Nix knew that some of y’all didn’t think he was the right choice, and he darn-well knew that most of y’all didn’t think Chan Gailey was the right move either. But he stood by his decisions and did precisely what he told us he would do; build through the draft to get bigger, faster, and stronger. It was a cold, painful reminder that we’d strayed from the yard with that philosophy, and while maybe a bitter pill to swallow, ultimately the correct dosage.

So what have our braintrust done as far as this “build through the draft” philosophy?

I’d say a whole helluva lot. First, let’s be real about how the draft works. It’s a crapshoot and anyone who tells you differently is a chud. You take players that you hope will add something to your team, and for most clubs, only a handful of the guys from each draft even make the team. So if we have contributions from 4 or 5 players per draft, I’d call that a pretty strong class.

2010 Draft - Contributors

CJ Spiller - The kid came on slow, but proved why he was 9th overall when Freddy went down last season.

Arthur Moats - For a 6th round draft pick, Moats has exceeded expectations, with his claim to fame being a streak-ending sack of Brett Favre. Don’t cross the Moats.

Danny Batten - Anyone who says Batten hasn’t been a solid contributor doesn’t think about the importance of Special Teams. Another 6th round contributor.

Alex Carrington - Has flashed potential and will provide solid depth as a pocket-pushing DT in our new scheme.

Still hopeful: Torrel Troup & Marcus Easley. Injuries have kept these guys from showing what they’ve got. Crap or get off, boys.

2011 Draft - Contributors

Marcell Dareus - 43 Tackles & 5.5 sacks. Sounds about right for a DT taken at #3.

Aaron Williams - 32 tackles, 5 passes defended and 1 INT in only 9 games. Stay healthy, young man.

Kelvin Sheppard - Stats don’t do justice to the progress this kid made between Training Camp & Week 17.

Chris Hairston - Started at the all important LT spot, held his own.

Da’Norris Searcy - Don’t look now, but George Wilson might have to step it up to hold this kid off. Flashed that big-hit ability.

I think we all know how this 2012 Draft went, but we won’t know how it pans out until next offseason. With guys like Sanders, Carder & Graham, we’re continuing to get the strength/speed, but also the intangibles like character, leadership & the commitment to a new team-first philosophy.

Acquisitions. The paradigm has shifted, my friends. We couldn't get a sniff from the A-list free agents (or coaches) the past few years and suddenly...boom. Super Mario. If that wasn't a watershed moment in the rejuvenation of this franchise, then I don't know what would be. Then Mark Anderson signs a few days later, what a way to sting the Patsies while putting some more bite into our bark. These were just the first dominoes to fall, and by the time this thing really gets rolling, you might be pleasantly surprised with who will be wearing one of those spiffy new form-fitting uniforms, or who might supplant Gailey when he eventually steps off the sidelines. (Anyone else noticing the Carolina connection? I can think of at least one Lombardi winning coach who loves the Carolina region, which the Bills have been stocking the cupboards full of over the past few drafts. Oddly enough, that same guy has close ties to our GM-in waiting, our HC aaaamd our new DC. Hmmmm.)

Friends, there are no shortcuts to anyplace worth going... and I think this rebuilt vehicle is about to take us someplace.

Here’s to hoping it’s straight to the delivery room where Chix will be beaming proudly, finally showing us that baby.

Two observations:

1.) You say "Now I’m not normally much for talking" and then go on to post the longest post in hository. Made me laugh.

2.) "I might not say anything that hasn’t been said before, but fresh perspective can be nice" - if it has already been said, you saying it really isn't a fresh perspective, is it?

Other than that, I agree with everything you've said. Keep on posting. Maybe if you don't save everything up for so long, the posts won't read like a novel? GO BILLS.

Two observations:

1.) You say "Now I’m not normally much for talking" and then go on to post the longest post in hository. Made me laugh.

2.) "I might not say anything that hasn’t been said before, but fresh perspective can be nice" - if it has already been said, you saying it really isn't a fresh perspective, is it?

Other than that, I agree with everything you've said. Keep on posting. Maybe if you don't save everything up for so long, the posts won't read like a novel? GO BILLS.

Thanks for the input! I'll get right to it on this one.

1) You're right, but I'm old. If I do talk, it tends to come out in a long steady steam, kind of like when I could still go #1 standing up.

2) Gotta disagree with ya on that one. I'm pretty sure it's fresh because I wrote it on Ma's desktop near the laundry machine. Smells like fresh linens to me.

I'll try not to get overly pedantic in future posts, but some of us old-timers still enjoy a nice-long read now & again. Maybe it's good for someone in the outhouse on their MyPad?

George Wilson might have to step it up to hold search off? Did you see GW play last season, dudes a beast. Did you watch the eagles game where he made the first like 7 tackles? He prolly can't step it up anymore he's playing at a really high level.

All in all good post! Thanks for sharing.

1) You're right, but I'm old. If I do talk, it tends to come out in a long steady steam, kind of like when I could still go #1 standing up.

2) Gotta disagree with ya on that one. I'm pretty sure it's fresh because I wrote it on Ma's desktop near the laundry machine. Smells like fresh linens to me.

I'll try not to get overly pedantic in future posts, but some of us old-timers still enjoy a nice-long read now & again. Maybe it's good for someone in the outhouse on their MyPad?

No problem. I just got a kick out of those two things. Good post. Keep 'em coming.

Good post, at this pace you'll be off probabtion by 2030.

I don't know you, but I already love you