Interesting Comparison of draft choices from 2010 thru 2012

I think there were several things going on that resulted in a change in drafting philosophy. First, they were focused on finding particular types of players to match the new defensive scheme, which probably resulted in reaches or at the very least fewer options. Second, I believe that they were not focused on winning right away so they were willing to draft players from small schools who could develop over time. They probably changed their philosophy to selecting big time programs since that is where most of the talent is. I also think that the team has gotten more risk averse.

I'm optimistic that the defensive players from that draft will develop to become solid bench contributors. Remember, Wanstadt's defense needs solid defensive tackles as well as shut-down corners.

but he didnt have the ability to build a culture into his scouting. really get the priorities, and goals set. someone else did that for the entire 2009 calendar year... atleast thats the best i can guess. that whole scene was a mess.

i dont doubt buddy went with guys he was familiar with from that falls work - but where he was and who he was looking at might not have been the same as if he were in charge the whole way through. plus building the coaching staff, turnover in free agency, etc... all took away time from being able to focus on scouting culture. the entire organization needed to be addressed. i think its safe to say that he wasnt afforded the same luxuries of preparation and freedoms of the job from april 2009-april 2010, as he has been the last two years.

True but to me, Nix has 7-8 things that he really likes about players and the only thing that Terrell Troup and Alex Carrington didn't have out of those 7-8 things was major conference. He likes big, strong, fast (for their position), highly experienced, high character, versatile, self-motivated tough guys from the major conferences from the south. Again, both Troup and Carrington both fit all but one of those things, and they were clear needs on a team changing defensive philosophies. And again, I would bet anything if he had his culture change already and his guys in place already, he would have made the exact same selections in rounds 1-3. Not sure about the later guys like Wang and Battan, etc.

Who was Head of National Scouting in 2009? He made those picks, not Modrak.

Bupkis. Buddy was hired as national scout (but still focused primarily on the South) on January 26, 2009--just three months ahead of the 2009 draft. All of the scouting work on that class had been done by Modrak's crew.

On draft day, Buddy was just one voice in a heirachy where Modrak was the boss. His input was provided, and I'm sure, out-voted (no way does he pick a one-year wonder in the first round).

The 2010 draft is on Buddy, although he was still working with the scouts hired by Modrak. Troup was a big miss, but Spiller, Carrington and Easley were good picks.

The scouting staff has been upgraded with Chuck Cook and Daryl Moody and the results appear (on paper) to be much better. Don't forget Doug Whaley's added role this year as head of college scouting (in addition to his pro responsibilities).

This is shaping up as the best personnel group since the Butler days...

True but to me, Nix has 7-8 things that he really likes about players and the only thing that Terrell Troup and Alex Carrington didn't have out of those 7-8 things was major conference. He likes big, strong, fast (for their position), highly experienced, high character, versatile, self-motivated tough guys from the major conferences from the south. Again, both Troup and Carrington both fit all but one of those things, and they were clear needs on a team changing defensive philosophies. And again, I would bet anything if he had his culture change already and his guys in place already, he would have made the exact same selections in rounds 1-3. Not sure about the later guys like Wang and Battan, etc.

I do agree with you that TT & AC meet the basic sniff test for Nix. If they didn't I doubt very seriously that they'd have been drafted, and Nix was the guy who pulled the trigger.

What many of us are arguing is that the shift into a full Nix-ian type draft didn't take place in his first year (3 months before the draft after much of that draft's work had been done). He still had Modrak, we didn't have Whaley, we hadn't added two scouts and rearranged a couple others and NIX didn't set the priorities and work styles that have since changed. (scouts cross-referencing each other & cross referencing position)

I don't see why this is hard to find reasonable that there will be a difference between the transition year and subsequent years. Especially since, as the OP pointed out, the draft LOOKS very different.

As for TTroup/ACarrington, Nix still could have drafted them, but maybe a round later where they may still have been available because perhaps with their modern drafting department, they had another player ranked a little more properly that Nix believed in. Who knows, but not wildly out of the question either.

Everyone but Lurker forgot the most important part of the last 3 years: DOUG WHALEY being brought in in 2010. As well as the entire FO staff being replaced. No wonder our 2010 draft looks different than the 2011 and 2012, it's a new staff with new people settled into new roles.

I think the working combo of Nix and Whaley is special. A bit of the old school, with a bit of young blood, both with a football mentality. I love the idea of Whaley learning under Nix, and then taking over and carving his own path and legacy.