What do we make of the first draft?

Drew026

In the Nix era? The last two drafts in my opinion have been incredibly solid, and while there are pieces I like from the first draft (spiller,carrington I think will be consistent contributors) but the last 2 drafts have absolutely blown the first one out of the water. I know this is kind of an odd question to ask but I'm trying to think why these two drafts have been night and day from the first one.

Spiller, Carrington, Moats, Nelson, and Easley have all been contributors from the 1st Buddy Nix draft.

Jury is still out on Troup. He needs to stay healthy. Overall, that first draft seems to be a draft full of depth with a splash of starting quality with Spiller, and Easley.

Edited by dogma+

In the Nix era? The last two drafts in my opinion have been incredibly solid, and while there are pieces I like from the first draft (spiller,carrington I think will be consistent contributors) but the last 2 drafts have absolutely blown the first one out of the water. I know this is kind of an odd question to ask but I'm trying to think why these two drafts have been night and day from the first one.

because he had been in charge for like 3 months, and the scouting was all previously done under different instruction? he hadnt been able to instruct who to go see, what to look for, etc.... until january. it makes sense that the board would be a little lacking in identity under those circumstances.

remember: they wanted to change defense. got rid of that project wich is nice. and maybe its to the 1st draftees advantage. wasnt troupe playing NT in a 4-3? carrington for sure played in a 4-3 at end. and if you hit on every pick in every draft you may get put in a fire ;)

When Nix was hired as a national scout on January 26, 2009, much of the draft evaluations under Modrak's crew were already in the pipeline. Those reports, IMO, along with Nix being out of the NFL in 2008 contributed to the poor picks.

It's tough to call that the 'first' draft since he took over and the scouting was done by others.

When Nix was hired as a national scout on January 26, 2009, much of the draft evaluations under Modrak's crew were already in the pipeline. Those reports, IMO, along with Nix being out of the NFL in 2008 contributed to the poor picks.

These.

I still believe that Wilson played a large role in the Spiller pick. During the 2008 season he gave an interview to Mark Gaughan of TBN during which he stated the Bills nee to get more exciting on offense and the next draft the Bills select Spiller who was described as the most dynamic and exciting player that year. That being said I do expect bigger contributions from Troup, Carrington and Easley this year.

These.

I still believe that Wilson played a large role in the Spiller pick. During the 2008 season he gave an interview to Mark Gaughan of TBN during which he stated the Bills nee to get more exciting on offense and the next draft the Bills select Spiller who was described as the most dynamic and exciting player that year. That being said I do expect bigger contributions from Troup, Carrington and Easley this year.

I rationalize the Spiller pick as coming from the see-for-yourself approach Nix took to the team he inherited. He knew that there was a lot of trash that would need to be shipped out, but instead of listening to other people's opinions on the matter (nearly every player on the team had a cadre of apologists claiming that he was actually good but being put in bad situations by his coaches/teammates), he was going to find out for himself. Unfortunately that couldn't be done until the following season, so during the first draft Nix just assumed that everyone sucked and picked someone he envisioned would be the long-term motor of his offense no matter how the subsequent years went.

I'm not quite ready to give up on the 2010 draft class.

Spiller and Easley could become starters by the end of this coming season. Carrington, Troup, Moats, and Batten can each become quality backups in our front seven. If all of the above happens, I would rate this as a very solid draft.

I also still believe that Calloway and Brown were quality seventh round picks, given what everyone knew of them at the time.

The only major mistake was Virginia Tech's Ed Wang. Nevertheless, he was a 5th round pick and nobody's perfect. Plus his last name was Wang and he was projected to play on an offensive line with Levitre and Wood. The comedic effect of this alone made him a good pick (IMO).