Are gun safety classes worthwhile?

Beerball

Well looks like I'm good because my bedside gun is a 1917 S&W revolver,.45 auto rim loaded with the hammer down. The ONLY way that gun is going off is if I give the trigger a long D.A. pull, or rooster the hammer and pull the trigger S.A. Not all of use own Glocks :nana: Again no kids [or anyone drinking] will ever have access to that gun. Big,Big difference.

Wow, nice gun to have. I agree with you that the lack of kids helps, and certainly you've been responsible in putting thought into the potential risks, but you can't guarantee that no one besides yourself will ever have access to that loaded gun.

A couple posts ago, you asked me "why would I not leave it loaded?"

Besides the unknown risks for an unforseen accident, always living with a loaded gun in the house builds up a comfort level with you. This comfort compromises mental diligence in avoiding handling mistakes and opens you up to distractions also. Obviously you feel you have complete control of your gun, leaving it loaded and unsecured can allow that to change quickly, maybe instantaneously.

For these reasons my mentality would be (regardless of kids): Is there a tangible reason to leave it loaded all the time?

If so, no problem. If not, I hope you consider unloading it.

Wow, nice gun to have. I agree with you that the lack of kids helps, and certainly you've been responsible in putting thought into the potential risks, but you can't guarantee that no one besides yourself will ever have access to that loaded gun.

A couple posts ago, you asked me "why would I not leave it loaded?"

Besides the unknown risks for an unforseen accident, always living with a loaded gun in the house builds up a comfort level with you. This comfort compromises mental diligence in avoiding handling mistakes and opens you up to distractions also. Obviously you feel you have complete control of your gun, leaving it loaded and unsecured can allow that to change quickly, maybe instantaneously.

For these reasons my mentality would be (regardless of kids): Is there a tangible reason to leave it loaded all the time?

If so, no problem. If not, I hope you consider unloading it.

I never handle it. It sit's in it's own drawer. Besides the first thing I ever leaned about guns was treat them ALL like their loaded.

A couple things conspire against that unfortunate series of events.

3.. If you need a firearms course, the last handgun you should buy is one without external safeties and/or decocker levers.

This guy shot himself in the hand so it is unclear whether the gun had a decocker. How does it do that anyway? Are their heat seeking bullets?

There is no doubt that training is really beneficial but take a few simple steps to protect yourself.

If you hear an intruder do not go out to investigate it. Lock the door to your room, grab the phone and gun,

walk over to side of the bed crouch down and train the gun at the locked door. Call the police.

Edited by whateverdude

There is no doubt that training is really beneficial but take a few simple steps to protect yourself.

If you hear an intruder do not go out to investigate it. Lock the door to your room, grab the phone and gun,

walk over to side of the bed crouch down and train the gun at the locked door. Call the police.

What if you have kids? Would you still recommend locking yourself in your room and leaving them to fend for themselves?

What if you have kids? Would you still recommend locking yourself in your room and leaving them to fend for themselves?

They should be instructed to do the same, if they are in a different part of the house. There is always exceptions. If they are too young to operate a weapon have them lock themselves in a safe area and call the police if all exits are blocked

Edited by whateverdude

guns should be loaded, if you have children, put the gun in a bedside locker, either one of the expensive fingertip locks or some type of "succesion tap" locks....what will you do with an unloaded gun when the intruder breaks in? throw it at them? might as well load up your nightstand with baseballs instead...and good luck....

I never handle it. It sit's in it's own drawer. Besides the first thing I ever leaned about guns was treat them ALL like their loaded.

That is the primary rule upon which almost all the rest follow, it does not mean they SHOULD all be loaded.

For those who think they are going to defend their home.

1. Getting the weapon in the dark, when you've just been woken up and are terrified may be a lot harder than you think it is.

2. Identifying the perp, aiming and pulling the trigger on a human being at 3am is fundamentally different from the hours you spent on the range. You'll not be able to pull the trigger, or will be horribly inaccurate.

3. The price of poker goes up enormously when you fire that weapon. The perp may have one as well and be a lot calmer and less hesitant to put one into your forehead.

Just sayin...

A tactical 12 gauge loaded with 00 buck solves pretty much all of this. That is until the the stupid effing lawyers get involved...

Just sayin...

That is the primary rule upon which almost all the rest follow, it does not mean they SHOULD all be loaded.

Not all, just the one. If my circumstances where different [ lot's of party's, people I really don't know in the house] I would handle it differently. But I am certain no one will even know that gun exists but me. And if I can't safe with a loaded gun, I should not own one.

Not all, just the one. If my circumstances where different [ lot's of party's, people I really don't know in the house] I would handle it differently. But I am certain no one will even know that gun exists but me. And if I can't safe with a loaded gun, I should not own one.

I never like the Idea of keeping a loaded gun in the house. I was taught that a loaded gun should always be under your supervision and control at all times. A gun is not under your control if you keep it loaded when you leave the house or room for that matter. I always separate the ammo from the gun because I know where I hide the ammo and I can load it fast.

A tactical 12 gauge loaded with 00 buck solves pretty much all of this. That is until the the stupid effing lawyers get involved...

Just sayin...

Actually when my daughter in law insisted on having a gun in the house, that was my advice to her. The shotgun is the best weapon to have in that situation. She might actually hit someone if push comes to shove. Using a pistol is hit or miss proposition with heavy odds on the miss...including the "range wonders" doing the posting here.