When will Colts' play in first round?

scribo

Dungy clearly said this matters to him. He stated that if he is fairly sure the Colts won't have to play until Sunday, then he will play "a regular game" against Denver.

I think it may be clear after the Jets and Bills games are done, but I'm not sure. Anyone have info?

Sunday is always the best "ratings" day for sports. Do CBS/Fox get to pick their Sunday games, and ABC takes the leftovers on Saturday, or how does this work?

Dungy said it depends on the Jets. Although NY is obviously the biggest market, I would think CBS would want Indy on Sunday regardless because their offense would draw the biggest ratings nationally.

Sunday is always the best "ratings" day for sports.  Do CBS/Fox get to pick their Sunday games, and ABC takes the leftovers on Saturday, or how does this work? 

Dungy said it depends on the Jets.  Although NY is obviously the biggest market, I would think CBS would want Indy on Sunday regardless because their offense would draw the biggest ratings nationally.

183495[/snapback]

I would guess that could leave us playing a Saturday game -- especially if we get the #5 seed and go to San Diego, which is what I think will happen.

Anyone else think that Indy may tank at Denver so they would play them again the following week at Indy like in 2003?

That depends on the Rams-Jets game. If the Jets lose, the Colts will have added incentive to beat the Broncos to bump the Bills up to the #5 seed, and have to play SD. That would be great IMHO, so everyone NEEDS to be rooting hard for the Rams.

Dungy clearly said this matters to him. He stated that if he is fairly sure the Colts won't have to play until Sunday, then he will play "a regular game" against Denver.

I think it may be clear after the Jets and Bills games are done, but I'm not sure. Anyone have info?

183462[/snapback]

The NFL already had a preliminary schedule out in USA today I believe. An AFC game is slated for 1 pm Sunday. That would preclude the Chargers from playing on Sunday, so I'd say unofficially that the Colts will not play on Saturday. ;)

The games are scheduled as follows, CBS has the 10:00 AM West Coast game on Sunday since they have the late game the next two weeks. Therefore the Indianapolis game will be on Sunday morning and the game in San Diego will be on Saturday. Since the one NFC game is either at Seattle or St. Louis that will be the late game on Fox Sunday.

Therefore the AFC playoff game will be Saturday night in San Diego at 5:00 PM West Coast time.

I hope this helps.

Marc in San Diego.

183462[/snapback]

Anyone else think that Indy may tank at Denver so they would play them again the following week at Indy like in 2003?

183578[/snapback]

Indy is not going to mail this one in. Manning wants to play and win. Dungy wants to win. Dungy said the starters will play. They all know that momentum is key going into the playoffs.

http://www.indystar.com/articles/6/205289-1016-196.html

Manning recalled the 1999 season when the Colts, 13-2 and with a first-round bye wrapped up, took an 11-game winning streak to Buffalo. They lost 31-6, then fell to Tennessee 19-16 two weeks later in the playoffs.

"I think our momentum sort of died up there in Buffalo," Manning said. "I would like to keep this winning streak (of eight) alive."

The games are scheduled as follows, CBS has the 10:00 AM West Coast game on Sunday since they have the late game the next two weeks.  Therefore the Indianapolis game will be on Sunday morning and the game in San Diego will be on Saturday.  Since the one NFC game is either at Seattle or St. Louis that will be the late game on Fox Sunday. 

Therefore the AFC playoff game will be Saturday night in San Diego at 5:00 PM West Coast time.

I hope this helps.

Marc in San Diego.

183971[/snapback]

Please let me know if this is what you're saying:

Chargers will host #5 seed Saturday night.

Cotls will host the #6 seed Sunday afternoon (early game).

If that is the case, I now believe Manning will play 3/4 of the game in Denver.

This is correct.

The playoff schedule will go as follows:

Saturday January 8th, 2005

4:30 PM - 6th seed @ Green Bay

8:00 PM - 5th seed @ San Diego

Both games on ABC TV

Sunday

1:00 PM - 6th seed @ Indianapolis - CBS TV

4:30 PM - 5th seed @ St. Louis or Seattle

Please let me know if this is what you're saying:

Chargers will host #5 seed Saturday night.

Cotls will host the #6 seed Sunday afternoon (early game).

If that is the case, I now believe Manning will play 3/4 of the game in Denver.

184026[/snapback]

This is correct.

Saturday January 8th,  2005

Both games on ABC TV

Sunday

184136[/snapback]

That is great. Thanks!

This is correct.

Saturday January 8th,  2005

Both games on ABC TV

Sunday

184136[/snapback]

Link?

How great is the NFL? Seriously - in what other sport does your team's playoff fate depend on the starting time of a playoff game yet to be played 2 weeks down the road so that a team your team hasn't played this year plays their starters against another team your team hasn't played?

And yes, I jumped for joy at the sight of the news from Marc in SD; probably more-so than any play during the Bills-SF game.