[video] Doug Whaley talks rookie tackles

Thanks for posting this one, too! I actually enjoyed this one a lot more than the WR one, just b/c there was one useful piece of info -- the Bills consider Cordy Glenn a tackle prospect. Whaley: "For us, a guy with that size, and that type of foot athlete, you try him out at tackle. We believe that he has a chance to play there, and produce there at a high level."

For those of you unable to watch the video right now, Whaley's tone was more toward "Have you seen this guy? He's a tackle, duh," than "Well, maybe he might maybe be able to maybe have a chance at tackle someday..."

I just watched all of them and all I have to say is I freakin love Buddy man...

The way he talks with his accent and just telling us the truth.

He always says, "you know?, I been doin this a long Tom"

It was also funny when he was addressing the need for CB depth he said, "you know?, leodis entering his fine null year of his contract? Who we're expectin em tah play lots out".(last part he said with a squinted eye as to say he knows he better play)

Thanks for posting this one, too! I actually enjoyed this one a lot more than the WR one, just b/c there was one useful piece of info -- the Bills consider Cordy Glenn a tackle prospect. Whaley: "For us, a guy with that size, and that type of foot athlete, you try him out at tackle. We believe that he has a chance to play there, and produce there at a high level."

For those of you unable to watch the video right now, Whaley's tone was more toward "Have you seen this guy? He's a tackle, duh," than "Well, maybe he might maybe be able to maybe have a chance at tackle someday..."

Especially when compared with how Buddy described Hairston: "Chris Hairston, he may not be the prettiest foot athlete, but he's got so much length that he can protect the backside, we feel like he can do that."

So Glenn has equal or better size than Hairston but also is a great "foot athlete."

Especially when compared with how Buddy described Hairston: "Chris Hairston, he may not be the prettiest foot athlete, but he's got so much length that he can protect the backside, we feel like he can do that."

All I got out of that is maybe Buddy's wife has been hanging around with Rex Ryan's wife.

Anyone else catch Whaley talking about Reiff - basically said you start him at left, then can move him to right if you need to. Maybe hinting Bills aren't sold on him as a left tackle. But Whaley was pretty clear that the Bills think Martin can play both LT and RT, and are intrigued by his flexibility. The more I hear these guys talk, I really think they like Martin more....Martin's been showing as slipping to end of 1st in a lotta mocks - doubt he'd drop to Bills 2nd pick, but he could slip low enough that Bills would trade up for him. I'd love it if they could grab Martin and a WR/CB/LB at #10!

Anyone else catch Whaley talking about Reiff - basically said you start him at left, then can move him to right if you need to. Maybe hinting Bills aren't sold on him as a left tackle. But Whaley was pretty clear that the Bills think Martin can play both LT and RT, and are intrigued by his flexibility. The more I hear these guys talk, I really think they like Martin more....Martin's been showing as slipping to end of 1st in a lotta mocks - doubt he'd drop to Bills 2nd pick, but he could slip low enough that Bills would trade up for him. I'd love it if they could grab Martin and a WR/CB/LB at #10!

I don't know where you heard Whaley say that about Martin. The way I heard it was Whaley saying all of that towards Glenn...

I agree. Additional analysis:

"Depth is Good" at WR and CB

Translation: we will be drafting one or more CB and WR between the 2nd and 4th rounds

"A high percentage" of the starting LT were taken in the first 10 picks, most of the pro-bowlers in the top 8 or 9 picks

My translation: there is at least 1 guy they think is a top-10 LT and if he is on the board at a point where they can reasonably trade up to get him eg slot 8, they just might.

They didn't say the same thing about depth is good at LB.

Translation: If the LT they like is gone at 10 or it would cost more than they're willing to spend to trade up for him, I think Kuechly is likely if he's there.

"We'd like to draft a QB every year" but other needs have precluded this the last few years

Translation: don't expect a QB to be drafted in Rounds 1-4.

We'll see how my fluency in Buddy-speak is progressing, next week.

I gotta tell you the more of Whaley I see, the more I'm impressed. I think Buddy really has given us a long term success plan.

I agree. Whaley seems like he's on top of it...I hope he's with us for a long time.

I don't know where you heard Whaley say that about Martin. The way I heard it was Whaley saying all of that towards Glenn...

Doug Whaley: You look at Jonathan Martin first of all coming from Stanford; he’s going to be a highly intelligent guy. He’s a competitive guy. I think he’s a guy that has a chance to play both left and right tackle, so the versatility for him makes him very intriguing. Reiff, you just look at the pedigree from guys coming from Iowa. They’re well schooled, well coached. The head coach there has coached in the league so he knows how to produce NFL linemen. You’re going to get a guy that we believe, most people believe, and the pedigree from that school are going to come in and step in and compete right off the bat. Reiff I think he can play both, left and right. I think you start him out on the left and see how he goes from there. Those left tackles are hard to find like Buddy says. We believe that you start a guy there and if he fails it’s easier to move him to right than right to left. With Glenn for us a guy of that size and that type of foot athlete you’d try him out at left tackle. He’s got a chance to play there and produce there at a high level.

Also note that when asked about tackles, Whaley mentions Martin first....I'm telling you, Martin is the one they're after....