Bills appear to avoid a likely 2012 Draft Bust

1B4IDie

In the Bleacher report ratings of corners in the NFL, McKelvin was in the 40's league wide, our other two contributors last year at CB (not McGee) were rated in the 60's. So, a more objective source has McKelvin as belonging in the league. Way to much bashing of McKelvin on this board. Yes, he needs to make plays on the ball, but he is the ONLY CB we have that has the jets to stay with the top receivers and cover.(Florence is all heart and too slow) If McKelvin doesn't breakout this year, the Bills will not resign him, I am hoping for the best. He is a young man, and hopefully good coaching and a good line will make him the SStar we were hoping. He is the only one in the CB stable that can ball hawk. (And hopefully Byrd can also reestablish is bonafides in ball hawking again)

Bleacher report is not a source. Its the same thing as this message board, except way less credible.

WSS, this is a really odd take, IMO.

All those guys were pretty much disappointments to me but you've somehow managed to use them as examples of guys who aren't busts.

So on one hand your post is optimistic and on the other hand, it's pessimistic.

I'd hate if the Bills drafted an equivalent of any of the worst-case examples you mentioned.

As I posted in another topic, we should be thrilled that the Bills have the opportunity to draft one of the top ten players in this year's crop.

I'm looking For Erik Flowers, Mike Williams, JP LOSSman, or Aaron Maybin type of bust. A zero contributor; and I'm pretty confident I don't see one happening this year.

Yes if Koochie is drafted at #10 and he becomes a Poz clone. It will be a disappointment but not a bust.

If Reiff plays RG, there will be a lot of "I told you so"s but I think he would play well at RG for years, Its kinda of a bust but not like Mike Williams.

If Floyd mises a few games because of off the field stuff but on the field contributes a Lee Evanesque 48 catches and 750 yards it would be a disappointment but not a complete bust.

Thats what I'm looking at, the odds of a complete zero contributor bust is extremely low in this draft.

I'm not so pyched about the Top 10 pick (Unless Floyd was there at 10 and picked.) How do you define "a top 10 player?" The Actual Ten picks that happen, or the 10 prospects that are a possibility to picked at #10? Some of those players may not go in the Top 20.

I am pyched about having 3 picks in the top 75.

Edited by Why So Serious?

I'm looking For Erik Flowers, Mike Williams, JP LOSSman, or Aaron Maybin type of bust. A zero contributor; and I'm pretty confident I don't see one happening this year.

Yes if Koochie is drafted at #10 and he becomes a Poz clone. It will be a disappointment but not a bust.

If Reiff plays RG, there will be a lot of "I told you so"s but I think he would play well at RG for years, Its kinda of a bust but not like Mike Williams.

If Floyd mises a few games because of off the field stuff but on the field contributes a Lee Evanesque 48 catches and 750 yards it would be a disappointment but not a complete bust.

Thats what I'm looking at, the odds of a complete zero contributor bust is extremely low in this draft.

I'm not so pyched about the Top 10 pick (Unless Floyd was there at 10 and picked.) How do you define "a top 10 player?" The Actual Ten picks that happen, or the 10 prospects that are a possibility to picked at #10? Some of those players may not go in the Top 20.

I am pyched about having 3 picks in the top 75.

It's just kind of funny that you're psychologically positioning yourself the way you are… that a worst-case scenario would be a semi-bust instead of an all-out bust.

Where I'm coming from is that I think the Bills, with a completely revamped personnel department and coming off last year's excellent draft, have the discernment to draft very well and that we have the 10th pick overall, 10 picks overall and as you mention, 3 in the top 75.

In other words, I'm optimistic that the Bills first rounder and several more picks are going to be outstanding players for us.

I don't get the post at all... I'm just as excited if not more excited about the upcoming season than a lot of Bills fans (imo of course). But to sit here and say that we WILL have an outstanding defense and we WILL win 10 or more games or we WON'T draft busts is cutting too deep into the jinx loaf...

Let's have our guys backs (players and management), let them do what they gotta do on the field and off and we take care of our part by showing support and pray for a good season we all have been longing for...

I don't get the post at all... I'm just as excited if not more excited about the upcoming season than a lot of Bills fans (imo of course). But to sit here and say that we WILL have an outstanding defense and we WILL win 10 or more games or we WON'T draft busts is cutting too deep into the jinx loaf...

Let's have our guys backs (players and management), let them do what they gotta do on the field and off and we take care of our part by showing support and pray for a good season we all have been longing for...

And all of that can happen while talking about the bust potential of the prospective draft picks.

They are not mutually exclusive.

Last year this time it was "Von Miller will be a bust" "Cam Newton will be a bust." and "Bruce Carter will be a bust".

The difference is in 2012 I don't see the B word thrown around too much and I don't see high bust potential by the prospects out there.

In the Bleacher report ratings of corners in the NFL, McKelvin was in the 40's league wide, our other two contributors last year at CB (not McGee) were rated in the 60's. So, a more objective source has McKelvin as belonging in the league. Way to much bashing of McKelvin on this board. Yes, he needs to make plays on the ball, but he is the ONLY CB we have that has the jets to stay with the top receivers and cover.(Florence is all heart and too slow) If McKelvin doesn't breakout this year, the Bills will not resign him, I am hoping for the best. He is a young man, and hopefully good coaching and a good line will make him the SStar we were hoping. He is the only one in the CB stable that can ball hawk. (And hopefully Byrd can also reestablish is bonafides in ball hawking again)

I'm hoping he has a breakout year too but he is as good as gone after this year. If he has a breakout year he will command a big slary as a FA. If the best he can do is nickel back he won't be resigned unless he comes on the cheap. They will draft at least one and probably two CB's this draft and sign two more college FA's.

I think if Buffalo just get a player they like at 10 and don't worry too much about draft value they will be fine. I would take Floyd and look for a tackle elsewhere. But if you take Reiff you can get a WR in round 2. Also you can stock up on depth with your mid round selections (Mainly defense).

I need the draft to happen soon.

Too many "experts" here who think they know what will unfold and who will pan out. Except for a scant few players every year, it is a total crap shoot to people who are far more knowledgeable and clued in to the various skill sets of these names, than those of us expressing opinions here.

If everyone knew what they were talking about, Tom Brady might have been drafted a tad earlier.

The funniest notions are the ones that profess to know which players would be a "steal" in Round 7. How many people here were screaming to get Steve Johnson before his draft?

The only guy who has seemed overrated to me is Ingram and I base that solely on the fact that he has been described as quick off the snap and he seemed exactly the opposite to me. Doesn't mean he won't end up a Pro Bowler, though.

Hey, I'm just a bit overloaded and needed to moan a bit. Please forgive.

I need the draft to happen soon.

Too many "experts" here who think they know what will unfold and who will pan out. Except for a scant few players every year, it is a total crap shoot to people who are far more knowledgeable and clued in to the various skill sets of these names, than those of us expressing opinions here.

If everyone knew what they were talking about, Tom Brady might have been drafted a tad earlier.

The funniest notions are the ones that profess to know which players would be a "steal" in Round 7. How many people here were screaming to get Steve Johnson before his draft?

The only guy who has seemed overrated to me is Ingram and I base that solely on the fact that he has been described as quick off the snap and he seemed exactly the opposite to me. Doesn't mean he won't end up a Pro Bowler, though.

Hey, I'm just a bit overloaded and needed to moan a bit. Please forgive.

No forgiveness for the Ingram comment here. He's my favorite player coming out the draft aside from Luck and Kalil. Luck and Kalil will not be there obviously at 10 but there's a chance Ingram will be. I'm definitely not a 7th round evaluator but when it comes to our first 3 or 4 picks I like to do research. Anything after the 3rd round would be a crapshoot imo. Any player before the 3rd round that doesn't pan out for a team would be considered a bust imo...

I think people are under-estimating the bust potential at #10. There are always busts in the first round, and I think it would be interesting to hear who people think would be a potential bust, but that should be in another thread.

As far as the people on this list,

Kulchey - Worst Case Aarron Curry - a bust

DeCastro - Worst Case beat out by Rhinehart - a complete bust, more likely Ruben Brown

Reiff - Worst Case Robert Gallery - a bust

Floyd - Worst Case Marshawn Lynch, traded for a fourth round pick - a complete bust

Kirkpatrick - Worst Case McKelvin - Kinda of a bust not a complete bust

Gilmore - Worst case becomes Donte Whitner - Not a bust; but not contributing

Martin - Worst case Plays RT

Adams - Worst Case Mike Williams, which is why no-one will draft him in the top ten

Glenn - Worst Case Mike Williams - a complete bust, best case is Ruben Brown, I do not like it when evaluators get caught up on size. He moves so well for being enormous, but he doesn't really move well for the position.

Ingram - Worst case that Harvey pick by Jacksonville, a complete bust

Upshaw - Worst case Can't get on the field because he is too slow and is picked up by the Steelers where is career is turned around to the point where he goes the pro-bowl every year - bust for the Bills

There is a huge risk for the Bills. The team cannot afford to not get a player that will contribute. Also, I believe that there is a risk for the Bills which is unique to small market teams. There are pre-madona players who will do just enough in Buffalo to make sure they can get a job somewhere else. Lynch, McGahee were both these types of players, and I really worry that Floyd is that type of player.

I think people are under-estimating the bust potential at #10. There are always busts in the first round, and I think it would be interesting to hear who people think would be a potential bust, but that should be in another thread.

As far as the people on this list,

Kulchey - Worst Case Aarron Curry - a bust

DeCastro - Worst Case beat out by Rhinehart - a complete bust, more likely Ruben Brown

Reiff - Worst Case Robert Gallery - a bust

Floyd - Worst Case Marshawn Lynch, traded for a fourth round pick - a complete bust

Kirkpatrick - Worst Case McKelvin - Kinda of a bust not a complete bust

Gilmore - Worst case becomes Donte Whitner - Not a bust; but not contributing

Martin - Worst case Plays RT

Adams - Worst Case Mike Williams, which is why no-one will draft him in the top ten

Glenn - Worst Case Mike Williams - a complete bust, best case is Ruben Brown, I do not like it when evaluators get caught up on size. He moves so well for being enormous, but he doesn't really move well for the position.

Ingram - Worst case that Harvey pick by Jacksonville, a complete bust

Upshaw - Worst case Can't get on the field because he is too slow and is picked up by the Steelers where is career is turned around to the point where he goes the pro-bowl every year - bust for the Bills

There is a huge risk for the Bills. The team cannot afford to not get a player that will contribute. Also, I believe that there is a risk for the Bills which is unique to small market teams. There are pre-madona players who will do just enough in Buffalo to make sure they can get a job somewhere else. Lynch, McGahee were both these types of players, and I really worry that Floyd is that type of player.

Yes we can name busts but do you really think DeCastro has a chance to be beat by Urbik? No one is concerned about DeCastro playing RG in the NFL.

Come on now. You really think Adams will be like Mike Williams?

I don't think that either example is close to likely.

FLOYD grew up in minneapolis which is alot more similiar to Buffalo than Miami or San Francisco.

Not to mention

1.) FLOYD was never a primadonna in college I don't know where these comments stem from.

2.) McGahee and Lynch never played any differently in Seattle, Baltimore or, Denver than they did in Buffalo. They weren't holding back while in Buffalo.

I was saying most likely scenario. I was saying worst case scenario. We just do not know what is going to happen and because people are excited, everyone drafted is going to make solid contributions, which just doesn't happen.

From what I understand about Adams is that he has all the talent in world, but isn't consistent enough, which implies that he may not be putting forth the effort.

I have absolutely no idea how Floyd is going to turn out as a pro. All I do know is that the last time the Bills selected a very talented player at the this position in the draft, they selected Lynch, who has the talent but was traded for a 4th round draft pick and won a playoff game with the new team. It makes me nervous about Floyd. Lynch did have a DUI hit and run.

The Bills had a good draft last. They did not have a very good draft two years ago. Spiller is the best pick out of that draft. The Maybin draft was a better draft than the Spiller draft, so I really hope that Nix does his homework and provides the team with the talent it needs to be successful.