On taking Decastro at 10

I think alot of the pro and con DeCastro talk on this board has been pretty good and has made it an interesting topic to keep checking on when I'm here. I was pretty much in the "no DeCastro at 10" camp until I realized that both Wood and Levitre are going to be up for contracts next year and the possibility of one of them not returning is high. I don't think the fact that DeCastro is an interior lineman will have any bearing on if we select him. I think Buddy has shown that, in the first round at least, he is a proponent of selecting BPA regardless of need and position. The later rounds is where he likes to address need as he seems confident in his ability to find good players later on in the draft.

If they have DeCastro rated very highly, then he will be the pick. I wouldn't be too surprised if Richardson drops to 10 that he is our selection as well. You take the best talent with your high picks and reach later in the draft.

Um if buddy Nix is true to his word BOTH will be back next year. I thought the idea was to draft and KEEP good talent? not let it walk out the door because we are being cheap?

I've been on the fence about Reiff, but if Nix's philosophy is truly "Take an OT, if they don't work at tackle, shift 'em to guard," wouldn't Reiff be the ideal pick? He's widely believed to be the 2nd best tackle, he's a stellar run blocker, and his one weakness (short arms) isn't an issue at guard. And, if we're not able to resign Wood and Levitre, our replacement is already on the roster.

DeCastro, while a stud at guard, doesn't offer the versatility to slide out to tackle.

Reiff was not a stellar run blocker in the games against Nebraska and Oklahoma. I don't know what the scouting reports say but he didn't get much push/movement in those games.

As far as drafting DeCastro as a hedge for Levitre and Wood leaving, Nix has said he wants to keep our good players so there's that. Also there's the franchise tag, and the OT vs OG statement. Those all suggest that DeCastro is not in play.

On the other hand, there's still a chance that Levitre or Wood could leave or not be brought back (what if Wood had another injury?).

All considered, while it's a possibility I don't think the Bills give DeCastro strong consideration.

Reiff was not a stellar run blocker in the games against Nebraska and Oklahoma. I don't know what the scouting reports say but he didn't get much push/movement in those games.

As far as drafting DeCastro as a hedge for Levitre and Wood leaving, Nix has said he wants to keep our good players so there's that. Also there's the franchise tag, and the OT vs OG statement. Those all suggest that DeCastro is not in play.

On the other hand, there's still a chance that Levitre or Wood could leave or not be brought back (what if Wood had another injury?).

All considered, while it's a possibility I don't think the Bills give DeCastro strong consideration.

I would like too quote from the good book of Nix yet again on the same player. DeCastro. Chapter 3 verse 11 "If there is a player available at any position that can upgrade out team, we will pursue him". It's fair too say DeCastro would be an upgrade.

I have too agree with you that the Bills are probably not looking hard at him. That is a huge mistake. IMO if he's the BPA at 10. He's a lock to start day1. Also, We are most likely not going too a super bowl this year. There are still plenty of holes. But DeCastro with Wood and Levitre would be lethal to opposing D-line tackles. Urbik is not in the same orbit as DeCastro. He's good and would be great depth though. Some depth other than street FA's is still needed.Urbik would be just that. DeCastro can play center also in a pinch. Why not stock up and rebuild the oline for a decade?

it has been pointed out before how Nix had said that you draft OT's because if they cannot cut it at OT you can move them inside.

I think there is absolutely no chance we take Decastro.

I just dont think Decastro makes sense unless you are a team so loaded with talent that you can take a luxery pick....that is not us.

We might have improved our defense by leaps and bounds.....but we were on our THIRD STRING OT last year at one point in the season and we were using PRACTICE SQUAD wide receivers at one point last season.

When a team is dipping that low into their reserves......you know you have no depth

I just don't see a chance in hell the Bills will use #10 overall on a College OG/C...Just don't see it... B-)

Nor do I. If I was the GM, it would come down to exactly how good I think the LTs (after Kalil) are. If I thought for example that Martin could play at a better than average level, I would grab him in a second.

The Lions signed Jeff Backus to a 2 year, 10 million dollar contract (though incentive laden). Perhaps they think that all of the top LTs will be gone before they pick, which is probably true. Backus was never a star, and their qb is VERY good, and perhaps even prone to injury. But as we know, LTs are extremely hard to get.

Wideouts are easier to find. SJ was a 7th, and I don't even think that Wes Welker was drafted. I would not want to use a #10 on a wideout unless I truly believed that he would be great, which of course is an objective term.

That said, I fully expect the Bills to use the #10 on a wideout.

I've been on the fence about Reiff, but if Nix's philosophy is truly "Take an OT, if they don't work at tackle, shift 'em to guard," wouldn't Reiff be the ideal pick? He's widely believed to be the 2nd best tackle, he's a stellar run blocker, and his one weakness (short arms) isn't an issue at guard. And, if we're not able to resign Wood and Levitre, our replacement is already on the roster.

DeCastro, while a stud at guard, doesn't offer the versatility to slide out to tackle.

Excellent and very original point. Shifts my thinking...

I'm in the camp that says you don't take an interior OL that high in the draft. It's an overly simplistic model, but I agree with Polian: you take somebody who's scoring TDs or hitting the QB with a top ten pick. The exception, of course, is if there's an elite LT available.