Bruce Smith. No ending to a Great Career?

Mr. T

Is it just me, or does anyone else find it strange that Bruce Smith never seemed to officially retire. For a player that was one of the most dominating players to ever play (at least when he was a Bill), doesn't it seem odd that he just simply stopped playing without anyone noticing. No final game press conference, no teary farewell to the game, just gone.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that Bruce was a jerk in many ways. I realize he was a selfish player at times. I know he left Buffalo simply for more money. But he is the greatest DE that ever played for the Bills, and one of the best ever in the NFL.

Now you see him in beer commercials between games and realize he's not playing anymore. What a shame for a great career to end without anyone noticing.

I agree. I mean even with Andre Reed who similarly left on rough terms, he eventually came to his senses and realized what he had here. The team welcomed him back and allowed him to retire a Bill. Why not Bruce? C'mon Bruce, admit that your best days were spent here and be humble and retire a Bill....

You know what's kinda sad. Despite possibly being a better DE than Reggie, Bruce will never be as fondly remembered or as respected (with the possible exception of the homosexual community since they're probably still mad at Reggie) because he wasn't as much of a people person. Can you imagine the media fawning over Bruce the way they have Reggie when he drops?

If I recall, Bruce left b/c the Bills cut him, not b/c he wanted more money.

181724[/snapback]

The Bills did cut him, along with Thurman and Andre. I don't think he wanted more money, but the Bills may have tried to restructure his contract to help the cap, and he refused. If anyone knows the facts, I would be interested.

I did find this tidbit: year 2000 "cuts"

You know what's kinda sad.  Despite possibly being a better DE than Reggie, Bruce will never be as fondly remembered or as respected (with the possible exception of the homosexual community since they're probably still mad at Reggie) because he wasn't as much of a people person.  Can you imagine the media fawning over Bruce the way they have Reggie when he drops?

181728[/snapback]

You know what's kinda sad. The entire country mourns over the death of one person (rightfully so) but no one mentions a word of the thousands of people who have died over in asia. A human being is a human being, I don't care what country they are from.

Guest RabidBillsFanVT
I think he might still be contractually obligated to the redskins till after this season.  That would clear the way for his one day contract with the bills.  I think he knows what he did here.  He's just waiting.

181920[/snapback]

Well that is welcome news!!! Thanks for the update :o

You know what's kinda sad. The entire country mourns over the death of one person (rightfully so) but no one mentions a word of the thousands of people who have died over in asia. A human being is a human being, I don't care what country they are from.

181913[/snapback]

Or sudan for that matter....(will refrain from saying more since it's not PPP)

181913[/snapback]

People "know" Reggie White. Most people couldn't find Sumatra on a map if you took away a hemisphere. Food for thought.

181913[/snapback]

I'm reminded of this quote:

A single death is a tragidy.

A thousand deaths is a statistic.

CW

I think he might still be contractually obligated to the redskins till after this season.  That would clear the way for his one day contract with the bills.  I think he knows what he did here.  He's just waiting.

181920[/snapback]

Huh? Wasn't he cut? Cut == no contract oblingations, doesn't it?

;)