Your Favorite Noir Movies

CosmicBills

I'm not sure people have really caught on as to just how solid of an actor JGL has evolved into. I never watched 3rd Rock, but I think he was sort of having to fight to get out from that role. But this kid has a ton of range and he's a terrific character actor. I don't think a lot of people saw it, as it wasn't a great film (although it had a stellar cast), but when you look at his role in "Killshot" and contrast that with his other work in "500 Days of Summer", "Hesher", "50/50", and even "G.I.Joe", it's actually some very impressive work. These roles are each very different and he is convincing in every one of them. He's become one of my favorite actors over the past few years.

Levitt is becoming a favorite of mine as well. I did not see "50/50", but I enjoyed "500 Days of Summer".

Did you really see "Hesher"? That movie was hardly a blip on the radar, and yet I heard it was very good. Too bad it was released in only 10 cities.

What's great is the amount of work Levitt is getting. I am interested in seeing how big of a part he has in "The Dark Knight Rises". Also he'll be headlining the sci-fi film "Looper" which is directed by Rian Johnson, who also directed "Brick". He'll also be in Steven Spielberg's "Lincoln" biopic and in Quentin Tarantino's spaghetti western "Django Unchained". And all of this comes out this year.

:lol:

I'll count 'em both.

"A type of crime film featuring cynical malevolent characters in a sleazy setting and an ominous atmosphere that is conveyed by shadowy photography and foreboding background music."

I maintain that Showgirls is film noir based on the sleaze and general malevolence of the entire movie.

In fact, I maintain that every Joe Eszterhas movie is film noir.

The Killing, directed by Kubrick, 1956, and staring Sterling Hayden (who played the crooked cop that hit Michael Corleone in The Godfather). Fantastic build-up that really pays off in the last 20 minutes.

Levitt is becoming a favorite of mine as well. I did not see "50/50", but I enjoyed "500 Days of Summer".

Did you really see "Hesher"? That movie was hardly a blip on the radar, and yet I heard it was very good. Too bad it was released in only 10 cities.

What's great is the amount of work Levitt is getting. I am interested in seeing how big of a part he has in "The Dark Knight Rises". Also he'll be headlining the sci-fi film "Looper" which is directed by Rian Johnson, who also directed "Brick". He'll also be in Steven Spielberg's "Lincoln" biopic and in Quentin Tarantino's spaghetti western "Django Unchained". And all of this comes out this year.

Yep, I saw it on Vudu a couple months ago. Had no idea what it was, but saw JGL was in it and the description sounded interesting. His character was a bit inconsistent in the film, but that wasn't his fault. I really enjoyed the film overall.

I figured you probably had a similar appreciation for his acting...and I agree about the roles he's getting. I think that speaks to his versatility and the fact that he transcends "the box". Very talented kid.