"You little piece of crap!"

The Senator

In era when few of us get a pension at all through past employers, I can't feel sorry for Joe D who only gets $1200 and change for approximately 13 years of service in the NFL. Keep in mind that he had a free college education and can carry the cache of being an NFL Hall of Famer. Those are pretty good resume enhancements. Unless you're a complete loser, how would you have trouble finding employment especially in a region where something of a local hero? Can anyone seriously say Joe would have trouble finding a decent paying job in the star-struck Buffalo area?

Nobody forced them to play football for the salaries and benefits they agreed to. It was a pretty sweet deal at the time.

Did Joe have a problem getting a job after football? What makes him so special that he's whining about having to work until he dies. Did he not plan for retirement?

Sounds like a case of sour grapes because today's NFL has come a long way from the days of cold showers in War Memorial Stadium. Back in Joe's day, football was a 6 month a year part time job. Today, it's practically a 12 month job, considering the level of conditioning and preparation needed to compete and keep a job.

I guess I just have trouble feeling sorry for guys who've been idolized and received perks and financial benefits throughout their lives that the vast majority of us can only dream of.

Today's rock stars have wised up to the ways of the record industry and are more financially secure than the founders. Should Justin Bieber and Lady Gaga have their paychecks garnished and siphoned off to beef up the bank accounts of Little Richard and Jerry Lee Lewis?

Fun Fact:

In 1982 Joe competed in the NFL's Strongest Man Competition. The other contestants were Lyle Alzado, John Matuszak, Mike Webster, Steve Furness, Curt Marsh, and Bob Young. Only Marsh and DeLamielleure are still living and Marsh has had a leg amputated.

Consider yourself lucky Joe D and count your blessings.

Edited by DML2005

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's amazing to me that some of you think they don't deserve even another penny.

Not to me. The phrase "youth is wasted on the young" comes to mind.

Joe D's point is the same one Cookie Gilchrist made for many years. Before the TV money became so huge, most NFL players earned the equivalent of a "normal" working stiff income compressed into a shorter time period rather than spread out over 40 years. Not surprising, with inflation being what it is, that many guys are far from livin' la vida loca...

I think the point that Joe D and Jerry Krammer are making is that guys that played in their time, didn't make near the money, relative to the success of the league, that guys like Brees do. Many players in the 60's and 70's had off-season jobs, just to support their family. The owners were keeping a far higher percentage of the profits than they are in the modern era. The popularity of the leauge was built on the backs of those older players.

True, but no one was holding a gun to their head making them play. Whether they knew the risks associated with football is another matter. Common sense tells me they must have, but then again, there was no football history to compare themselves to. That said, Joe D would make a good addition to the Bills scouting department.

:lol:

HARRRRUMPHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm just all kinds of pissed-off this week!

It's the damned gas prices.

Move out of NYS (less taxes on gas in Pa for example), and open the XL pipeline from Canada!

In era when few of us get a pension at all through past employers, I can't feel sorry for Joe D who only gets $1200 and change for approximately 13 years of service in the NFL. Keep in mind that he had a free college education and can carry the cache of being an NFL Hall of Famer. Those are pretty good resume enhancements. Unless you're a complete loser, how would you have trouble finding employment especially in a region where something of a local hero? Can anyone seriously say Joe would have trouble finding a decent paying job in the star-struck Buffalo area?

Nobody forced them to play football for the salaries and benefits they agreed to. It was a pretty sweet deal at the time.

No, it wasn't a sweet deal. The players were underpaid, ergo the need for most of them to have to work second jobs in the offseason. Meanwhile their exploits on the field were used to build the popularity of the game and line the owner's pockets with great wealth. Your point is exactly wrong… these players were woefully underpaid for what they did.

Did Joe have a problem getting a job after football? What makes him so special that he's whining about having to work until he dies. Did he not plan for retirement?

You are making this seem as if this is all about Joe D. Joe is using his HOF status as a platform to fight for increased benefits and care for all the players of his generation, some players who came a bit later, and all the players who came before him. Joe isn't rich because players didn't get rich in those days except for guys like OJ Simpson. He's doing alright but many of his peers are not doing alright.

Sounds like a case of sour grapes because today's NFL has come a long way from the days of cold showers in War Memorial Stadium. Back in Joe's day, football was a 6 month a year part time job. Today, it's practically a 12 month job, considering the level of conditioning and preparation needed to compete and keep a job.

It had better be a 12 month a year job considering how much these players are paid… and as mentioned numerous times in this topic, the old-time football players played for a pittance and had to hold second jobs in the offseason.

I guess I just have trouble feeling sorry for guys who've been idolized and received perks and financial benefits throughout their lives that the vast majority of us can only dream of.

Today's rock stars have wised up to the ways of the record industry and are more financially secure than the founders. Should Justin Bieber and Lady Gaga have their paychecks garnished and siphoned off to beef up the bank accounts of Little Richard and Jerry Lee Lewis?

Many popular musicians had to file class action lawsuits against the record companies who were making huge sums of money from the recordings of these artists at the same time, not paying out royalties to the same artists. It was only through legal action that recording artists were able to make money off the recorded music that they made. This is an analogous fight many decades later… an attempt to correct the compensation that is being given to a class of people who were exploited… many of who had short lives, and lived with debilitating conditions caused by football.

Fun Fact:

In 1982 Joe competed in the NFL's Strongest Man Competition. The other contestants were Lyle Alzado, John Matuszak, Mike Webster, Steve Furness, Curt Marsh, and Bob Young. Only Marsh and DeLamielleure are still living and Marsh has had a leg amputated.

Consider yourself lucky Joe D and count your blessings.

The reason all of those guys died young is because they were taking anabolic steroids to solidify and/or extend their careers in order to make more money. Players then like players today are best at making money playing football… it's the only thing many of these guys know how to do. Like your other points, this one also makes the argument against your position… the short life spans of football players is a compelling argument why these guys deserve more money… but somehow you've twisted the high mortality rate of football players into an argument that one man should count his blessings.

Thanks for posting.

Thanks for completely crushing that reply, I cannot fathom how someone could use the early deaths of NFL players as a point against giving money to the early players of the game.

I agree. I would be curious how the NFL compares to other sports or entertainment with regards to guys that built the leagues. Whether hockey or wrestling- the guys 39-50 years ago were beaten up much the same without the million dollar deals.

I'd still like to hear from anyone a ballpark of dollars they think should get though. Honestly I don't have a number in mind so it's tough for me to grasp how big the disparity is in my mind.