Our last REAL free agent

maddenboy

So, it looks like we grab a slightly-past-his-prime-but-still-productive linebacker every 3-4 years (TKO, Fletch, Barnett, but not really Merriman since he wasnt FA).

That is only if you look at the big name guys in fa. If you look at the rest of fa, the bills don't do that bad grabbing developmental players that actually make a big difference like chandler, pears, Fitz, freddy, and others. I mean, I would take those guys over the big name players we grabbed in the past that bombed.

If you pay them, they will come... Look at the guys in the NFL, look at the hold outs, look at the attitudes. Sure there are some players with real values, or guys that don't care about money...But the VAST majority would never pass up an extra 500k-1mil a year. Would you?

The Bills aren't going to get any "deals" from guys dying to play for them, but they are as much in the running for good players as any other team. For the first time in a very long time, I am convinced the Bills will be looking at top level FA's.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Seems like this time around we have gone to Fa to teach our youth. Even Merriman must have alot to share. off waivers, i know.

But Nick was brought in just as much for his leadership and smarts as much as performance.

I cant argue that its seems like we dont splash in FA and i think it's in my {psyche(?)} that buddy has repeated over and over..

through the draft through the draft we will build.

So ifeel ya on that. But i dont think we brought on real weapons lately. but we have done a nice job of giving leadership to the kids on the team. I believe that showed this year. they did not give up when the winning went away. they kept working.

This will be a good year to gain a strong opinion for me about whether The front office is on the right path.

We are not going to get Mario williams because we do not Need him yet. But there could be some damn fine additions available this year and i have some favorites too. But it wont be much hanging it out there this. so i dont agree to that opinion yet^ turbos are good.

i dont think its the cheap, i just dont think it's the right time

Edited by 3rdand12

Seems like this time around we have gone to Fa to teach our youth. Even Merriman must have alot to share. off waivers, i know.

But Nick was brought in just as much for his leadership and smarts as much as performance.

I cant argue that its seems like we dont splash in FA and i think it's in my {psyche(?)} that buddy has repeated over and over..

through the draft through the draft we will build.

So ifeel ya on that. But i dont think we brought on real weapons lately. but we have done a nice job of giving leadership to the kids on the team. I believe that showed this year. they did not give up when the winning went away. they kept working.

This will be a good year to gain a strong opinion for me about whether The front office is on the right path.

We are not going to get Mario williams because we do not Need him yet. But there could be some damn fine additions available this year and i have some favorites too. But it wont be much hanging it out there this. so i dont agree to that opinion yet^ turbos are good.

i dont think its the cheap, i just dont think it's the right time

it just hit me, from the way you stated it . . . Is this "code" for "please give me at least 3 years before you fire me?"

This^

Perennial playoff contenders all have a core of solid players who they drafted. Buddy is right, you must build through the draft, regardless if your a small or large market team. Once the core is established, you supplement it with the in demand free agent or two.

New England is the exception to this simply because they have arguably the best QB to ever play the game.

With picks like Troup, Carrington,Witner, Easly, Hardy, Maybin, Losman, et el it is real hard to build thru the draft.

Edited by BuffaloBillsMagic1

yep...the present incumbents are going to into their third season with little to show in the way of ability in getting outstanding players in the draft, almost no skills in the free agency game, no potential in improving the team through trades and have a crummy won-loss record. Other than that they are just fine.

Exactly. Building through the draft is the best way to go. The trick is you have to draft good players.

. . . and develop them. They dont just age like fine wine. You have to coach-em up.

Not to state the nearly-obvious, but it really is a 2-part formula. And we've been lacking in that second part for years and years. When was the last time one of the Bills' assistants or coordinators was mentioned for a promotion on another team? Fewell moved laterally from DC to DC.