Place Your Bets

B-Man

The president will once again face the nation tonight and explain his grand plan for the country. While there are bets going on all over the blogosphere about what cliche the president will utter first, I am pretty sure that he will use most of them while explaining his new plan to create jobs.

Irish bookmaker Paddy Power is taking bets on which cliché President Obama will utter first in tonights State of the Union Address. The favorite is We have more work to do, at 8-to-1, but I like Dont get me wrong at 20-to-1.

Given that energy issues are reported to be a main theme of the speech, I wondered which energy-related cliché would come up first. Here are some possibilities:

1.homegrown energy sources

2.Americas energy future

3.clean energy economy

4.rising prices at the pump

5.dangers of our oil dependence

6.secure our energy future

7.clean-burning natural gas

8.fuel-efficient cars and trucks of tomorrow

Energy Cliche

or:

You can also bet on which cliché Obama will use first in Tuesdays State of the Union Address:

8/1 We have more work to do

10/1 Health Care reform

10/1 As I stand here today

12/1 Fundamental belief

12/1 God Bless America

12/1 Crossroads of history

12/1 Defining moment

12/1 Make Washington work

14/1 Common purpose

16/1 Pursuit of happiness

16/1 Building a better America

16/1 Reduce the deficit

18/1 War on terror

18/1 It wont be easy

18/1 Hungry for change

18/1 My civil liberties

20/1 Honour for me

20/1 I have a dream

20/1 Willing to listen to each other

20/1 Yes, we can

20/1 Dont get me wrong

25/1 Hard to believe

NRO

The truth, of course, is that if the president had a good plan to create jobs (meaning one that actually gets the economy going and the unemployment rate down to its pre-crisis level), we would have heard about it by now. Its been four years and billions of dollars in jobs programs.

The irony of the whole I have a plan to create jobs line (which most president deliver during their State of the Union addresses, sadly) is that its not the presidents role to create jobs. But there wont be any mention of that tonight. There also wont be also any mention of letting the government get out of the way (read: seriously reducing the size of government and reforming entitlement spending), creating an environment in which the private sector can actually create jobs or increase the productivity of the existing ones.

Instead, what the president will have is a list of already-tried policy ideas that dont work or barely change peoples incentives to do things in a different way: temporary tax credits to employers and small businesses, extension of the payroll-tax cut, subsidies to specific industries (energy, manufacturing, and oil), and everyones favorite infrastructure spending for An America Built to Last (that automobile-advertisement-sounding name is the title of the talking points sent to congressional Democrats earlier today).

The price tag is likely to be important.

President Clinton famously announced in one of his SOTU speeches that "The era of Big Government is over"

How wrong he was.

Edited by B-Man

My money is on "As I stand here today". That will be part of his opening paragraph.

I wonder if he has the balls to call out Congress for doing "nothing" to enact his grand plans, like he does in his daily campaign speeches.

My money is on "As I stand here today". That will be part of his opening paragraph.

I wonder if he has the balls to call out Congress for doing "nothing" to enact his grand plans, like he does in his daily campaign speeches.

Not a bad guess Koko.

I'm going with "defining moment".....................just a hunch.