Bills Offseason Moves (show me you want to win)...

MClark

This offseason is pretty simple for me. Sign SJ, sign 2 immediate starting/fill-in glaring weakness FAs coming off their first contract and draft pass rusher in 1st round (LB or DL). Anything less shows me that ownership is not committed to a winner and we will not see improvement until ownership changes.

In Free Agency:

-a wide receiver to pair with Stevie. DJones and Nelson are fine back-ups, not starters. Vincent Jackson would be nice, especially considering the SD/Nix connection, but my guess is he's too expensive. Garcon would be nice, but guys like Jerome Simpson, Early Ducet and Eddie Royal are interesting as well.

-a veteran linebacker but with gas in tank. Whether it's 4-3 or 3-4, the Bills LB's outside of Barnett were underwhelming to poor, and Morrison is probably gone. Some guys to consider: D'Qwell Jackson, Leroy Hill, David Harris (be nice to steal one from a division rival) and Philip Wheeler.

-OL depth. This team unit actually played well, but the injuries mounted.

-TE depth. After Chandler, the cupboard is bare, and Chandler isn't Tony Gonzalez. John Carlson is available, he'd be a good fit.

In the Draft:

Rounds 1 & 2 should be Defense/Defense - another young DLinemen to pair with Dareus or a stud outside linebacker. Courtney Upshaw? Devon Still? Luke Kuelchy? Who knows considering we don't know what D Wanny will be running.

The rest of the draft - Front seven and OL depth, corner depth. No wasted picks on 3rd string QBs or RBs that sit on the practice squad for a year and then get cut.

Im working on a rough draft that will turn into a much larger post in it's own thread, but the short version of my offseason plan goes like this:

Re-sign SJ13, Chandler, Bell (and Lindell)

Sign 1 out of the 3 big WRs, Jackson/Colston/Meachem

Draft Courtney Upshaw at #10

Trade our 2nd and 3rd to move back into the 1st round and draft Hightower (or if not still available then Nick Perry) to fill the other OLB position. This would mean that we replace Merriman and Kelsay with Upshaw and Hightower.

Use the rest of the draft to draft depth at OL, CB, Front 7, and WR.

In this trade scenario I ran on DrafTek, I got the Giants pick at 26 and Hightower and Perry were both available.

The first 5 rounds of my draft went:

1. Upshaw

1b. Hightower

4. Casey Hayward, CB - Vanderbilt

4b. Baker Steinkuhler, 34DE - Nebraska

5. Nate Potter, OT - Boise

Too bad it's all just fantasy, as I think with these basic moves, we'd be in a position to take the AFC East next season...

Edited by DrDareustein

Im working on a rough draft that will turn into a much larger post in it's own thread, but the short version of my offseason plan goes like this:

Re-sign SJ13, Chandler, Bell (and Lindell)

Sign 1 out of the 3 big WRs, Jackson/Colston/Meachem

Draft Courtney Upshaw at #10

Trade our 2nd and 3rd to move back into the 1st round and draft Hightower (or if not still available then Nick Perry) to fill the other OLB position. This would mean that we replace Merriman and Kelsay with Upshaw and Hightower.

Use the rest of the draft to draft depth at OL, CB, Front 7, and WR.

In this trade scenario I ran on DrafTek, I got the Giants pick at 26 and Hightower and Perry were both available.

The first 5 rounds of my draft went:

1. Upshaw

1b. Hightower

4. Casey Hayward, CB - Vanderbilt

4b. Baker Steinkuhler, 34DE - Nebraska

5. Nate Potter, OT - Boise

Too bad it's all just fantasy, as I think with these basic moves, we'd be in a position to take the AFC East next season...

are you envisioning the Bills running a 4-3 or 3-4 next year. Just curiuos. I have no idea what they will do. Upshaw is a good pick, and so is the DE from Illinois (name escapes me now) as they can both play DE and OLB and are not "tweeners."

are you envisioning the Bills running a 4-3 or 3-4 next year. Just curiuos. I have no idea what they will do. Upshaw is a good pick, and so is the DE from Illinois (name escapes me now) as they can both play DE and OLB and are not "tweeners."

Im sticking with the 34 until I hear otherwise. However, even with a switch I'd probably still go after Upshaw and Hightower/Perry.

Between all the different schemes that NFL teams run, they are in the Nickel as often as anything else. So Im not really concerned about what our "official base D" is going to be. I just want to get the best, nastiest Defensive players and get them on the field.

I spent most of this weekend diagramming different defensive schemes with these players, and how we can use them regardless of scheme(the girlfriend was out of town so I got to nerd-out all weekend). I truly feel that as long as we are getting talented football players who are ready to make the transition, and with the upgrade at Defensive Coordinator, our "scheme" is almost meaningless.

-a veteran linebacker but with gas in tank. Whether it's 4-3 or 3-4, the Bills LB's outside of Barnett were underwhelming to poor, and Morrison is probably gone. Some guys to consider: D'Qwell Jackson, Leroy Hill, David Harris (be nice to steal one from a division rival) and Philip Wheeler.

Harris signed a 4 year extension with NY last offseason.

I think Buffalo needs to explore the Bengals draft ideas. Most people agree they are looking at Richardson and Benson is leaving. Most mock drafts(although they are speculation) project that a 10th pick stands a good chance at getting Richardson. Most top 10 pick teams have more concerning matters. The Bengals also have two first round picks at 17 and 21 (I believe)which wouldn't be good enough to land richardson most likely. A trade back to 17 could end us up with an extra first or even second round pick in the draft. It could be interesting for buffalo, I wouldn't rule it out

Edited by syrcuse315

Re-sign Steve Johnson

Robert Meachem in FA

Calais Campbell in FA

Terell Thomas, or Tracey Porter in FA

Marcedes Lewis in FA

RD 1. Whitney Mercilus

RD 2.Bruce Irvin

RD 3. Andrew Datko

Edited by mob16151