The Patriots beat 1team with a winning record

1B4IDie

They were also 7-0 against 8-8 teams, all of whom would've had a winning record had they lost those games. And with the exception of Dallas they won them all fairly easily, many of them on the road.

If they had held on against the Giants, they wouldn't have had a winning record either.

Edited by BuffOrange

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can we use that rationale for the Bills? If so, then the Bills lost 5 games by 7 points or less:

BUF 20/CIN 23

BUF 24/NYG 27

BUF 24/NYJ 28

BUF 17/TEN 23

BUF 23/MIA 30

The Bills lost 5 games by 23 points.

Is this a joke? We were 2-3 in "games that easily could've gone the other way". Even if you want to include the Ten/Mia games which is a major stretch, you then also have to include the Eagles game which was much more in doubt than either of them in the final minutes.

Funny that for as terrible as some make the Bills out to be, they beat the Pats (and led them 21-0 before falling apart) and should have beat the Giants on the road.

As for this weekend, I got the Giants and PAts. All 4 teams are pretty even so I'll take the better QBs.

Is this a joke? We were 2-3 in "games that easily could've gone the other way". Even if you want to include the Ten/Mia games which is a major stretch, you then also have to include the Eagles game which was much more in doubt than either of them in the final minutes.

NoSaint said "To be fair, they lost 3 games, by 15 total points" (referring to the Patriots). That's when I showed the scores of the close games that the Bills lost. My point was, the Pats have only beaten 1 team with a winning record this year (The Broncos). But, with the Broncos overall record, including the playoffs is 9-9, so the Pats actually didn't beat anyone this year with a winning record.

If Wood, Kyle Williams, Fred Jackson and some of the WR's stayed healthy, it's possible the Bills could have won those close games as well.

Edited by Jerry Jabber

NoSaint said "To be fair, they lost 3 games, by 15 total points" (referring to the Patriots). That's when I showed the scores of the close games that the Bills lost. My point was, the Pats have only beaten 1 team with a winning record this year (The Broncos). But, with the Broncos overall record, including the playoffs is 9-9, so the Pats actually didn't beat anyone this year with a winning record.

If Wood, Kyle Williams, Fred Jackson and some of the WR's stayed healthy, it's possible the Bills could have won those close games as well.

Not arguing with you at all. But that is exactly the post someone has made after every season during the current dirty dozen.

No matter how strongly you feel about "would have" and "if only", ultimately it gets you nothing. Except maybe enough encouragement to buy your next years seasons ;)

Edited by CodeMonkey

And my point is you're not entitled to win 100% of your heart-stopping finishes. The Bills were 2-3 in such games. NE was 1-2.

Stats don't lie, the Pats haven't beaten anyone with a winning record this year.

People like to bring this stat up, but it is not unique in NFL history, and I don't remember ever hearing about it with two of the other teams that it happened with (there is actually a third, but I cant' remember who it was.):

1974 Superbowl winning Steelers

1999 Supperbowl winning Rams aka The Greatest Show on Turf.

SSDD

Not arguing with you at all. But that is exactly the post someone has made after every season during the current dirty dozen.

No matter how strongly you feel about "would have" and "if only", ultimately it gets you nothing. Except maybe enough encouragement to buy your next years seasons ;)

I agree about the "would have, could have, should have". You can look at that with player decisions, draft picks, play calls, etc... After getting burned 3 times by the Bills over the past 12 years with great starts (2003, 2008 & 2011), and missing the playoffs 12 years in a row, I think a lot of us have either lost or are losing any type of good expectations with the Bills.

And my point is you're not entitled to win 100% of your heart-stopping finishes. The Bills were 2-3 in such games. NE was 1-2.

You're completely missing my point. I never said you're not entitled to win 100% of heart stopping finishes either. NoSaint made a point that the Pats lost 3 games by 15 points, so by that point, I made my comparison that the Bills lost 5 games by 23 points. It doesn't mean that the Bills should have won those 5 games, which would have made them 11-5. But it also doesn't mean that the Pats should have won those 3 games either, which would have made them 16-0. Bottom line, the Pats did not beat anyone this season with a winning record. Close does not count, which was my point by listing those 5 games that the Bills played. If the Pats beat the Ravens on Sunday, then it will be the first time this season the Pats have beaten a team with a winning record. I don't want that to happen, so GO RAVENS!!!

People like to bring this stat up, but it is not unique in NFL history, and I don't remember ever hearing about it with two of the other teams that it happened with (there is actually a third, but I cant' remember who it was.):

1974 Superbowl winning Steelers

1999 Supperbowl winning Rams aka The Greatest Show on Turf.

SSDD

I didn't know that. Thanks for bringing those up! I'm not saying the Pats can't beat a team this year with a winning record or win the Superbowl. They have a great offense, but their defense is holding them back. I'm rooting for the Ravens and hope they kick the crap out of the Pats in Foxboro!! After the Pats beat the Bills 56-10 at the Ralph on a Sunday night (where the Pats went for it on every 4th down) I want the Pats to lose every single game they play. I don't want to see them in another Superbowl...EVER!!!