Pre Draft Offseason Priorities

Armchair GM

In light of Buddy's presser, and what he oulined as our priorities, here's what my wish list looks like (disclaimer: I don't pay attention to spelling, etc. Nor do I think it's possible to sign more than a couple, hence "wish list"):

1.) Re-sign SJ13

2.) Re-sign D. Bell

3.) Go out and get another WR. I think this will be the "splashy" move this year. Vincent Jackson, maybe, but I would prefer Dwayne Bowe...happy with either.

4.) Add playmakers to the D, some options are;

DE - Mathis and Avril top my charts, but will likely demand big $$, so I REALLY like Tollefson.

He provids depth to the G Men, but will start here, deservedly so. 5 sacks in rotational/

reserve duty. Especially if we stay with the highbrid 43/34 and put Williams and Dareus in

the middle.

LB - Mario Williams is he best available, and top 3 in the league (IMHO), but no way Houston lets

him go, plus he'd break the bank. So I like Anthony Spencer. He benefits from playing opposite

the very best OLB in the league, but he's a top tier talent that will bring a niche market,

perfect for the Bills.

CB - Brent Grimes is my favorite, but he's underated and is among a horrible pass D. My fear is

ATL knows his value to them them and re-signs him. This leaves Finnegan, he's

"dirty," but is a guy you love to hate and would rather have on your team, but I'd rather see

Terrell Thomas with us. He'll make a full recovery and he's an above average #2 who is a

BEAST on the preimeter and run support.

5.) re-sign Chandler and add another TE, a la *NE. Finley tops the list (can't imagine GB letting him go), but Shiancoe, Fells, Carlson, and even Tamme are all available. A second TE may not be a huge priority, maybe we get one in the Draft.

Resulting Mock, 2012.1

Rd 1, pick # 10 - Courtney Upshaw, OLB, Alabama. I just can't get past this kid. Talk about a gamer! e's the second comin of Terrell Suggs.

Alt pick - Riley Reif - OT, Iowa

Rd 2, pick # 42 - Mohammed Sanu, WR, Rutgers. Big, physical WR. Tremendous upper body strength to fight the jam, excellent route runner with excellent hands. Lacks the elite straight line speed but is fearless and ellusive after the catch.

Alt pick - Trumaine Johnson - CB, Montana (rare combo of size speed for a CB)

Rd 3, pick # 74 - Nate Potter - OT, Boise State. Needs to put on some #'s, but is a smart player with a relentless work ethic.

Alt Pick - Joe Adams - WR, Arkansas (smallish @ 5'11" but goes 190 & is fast as lightning (nice slot WR)

Rd 4a, pick # 105 - Jake Bequette - DE/OLB, Arkansas. Big boy, but has the speed to play the rush LB and I wouldn't be surprised if the Bills take a few OLB's this year.

Alt pick - Shea McLellin - DE/OLB, Boise St

Rd 4b, pick # 124 - Ryan Steed - CB, Furman. You don't ear All Conference Selections every year you play if you suck. Good size/speed combo.

Alt pick - Russell Wilson - QB, Wisconsin

Rd 5, pick # 133 - Russell Wilson - QB, Wisconsin. I hope he slips out of the 4th. Small guy @ 5'11'' but is a straight up leader. Posesses a rare resolve and simply performs well, at all times. Probably could have started as a true freshman @ NC State, but he redshirted. Even so, he lead the scout team and tore NC States D up in practice. Went on to three consective season with NC State earning all ACC acolades. Transferred to Wisconsinf or his final year and picked up right where he left off. Great developmental pick with a high potential of being a diamond in the rough.

Alt pick - Rhett Ellison - TE, USC

Rd 6, Tyler Urban - TE, WVU. Switched to the slot for the 2011 season. He was so good in practice, the coaching staff witched him to a fll time starter and woved the kid who was supposed to play in the slot outside to be able to get them both on the field. Always open and catches everything. Who does that @ 250lb's?

Alt pick - Antoine McClain - OG, Clemson

Rd 7, Kyle Martins - P, Rice...why not, lol? 46 yrd average...42% of is punts were downed inside the opponents 20 with only 5 touchbacks....The kid can place his kicks pretty well.

Flame away...

Edited by Armchair GM

You think we can sign Stevie and another top 3 FA Wr, one of the top OLBs, the 2nd best CB and a good DE? Plus Chandler AND Shincoe???? Pass the pipe, you're dreaming. If we can get Stevie, chandler and one of the above, I'd be thrilled. You do know you're on the Buffalo Bills message boards right?

I wouldn't mind the draft, but I wouldn't touch Russell Wilson. He is incapable of making all the throws and is slight in stature to with stand the beatings of an nfl qb. I can't see that guy succeeding in the nfl.

1 Resign Stevie. I think they do this, I think they will sign a lower tier FA WR that is fast.

2. Dont think they will bring Bell back. I think they are sick of his part time play. Ditto Roscoe. I think they'd like to get a FA OT but we'll see.

3. Spencer might be a decent FA pick up but for DE not LB. High draft pick goes for Upshaw I'm thinking

4. Dont think that they are all that enamored with getting a TE. I think Chan would rather go 3, 4 or 5 wide instead.

5. Think they pick up another mid tier CB and draft another in the first 3 rounds.

You think we can sign Stevie and another top 3 FA Wr, one of the top OLBs, the 2nd best CB and a good DE? Plus Chandler AND Shincoe???? Pass the pipe, you're dreaming. If we can get Stevie, chandler and one of the above, I'd be thrilled. You do know you're on the Buffalo Bills message boards right?

I wouldn't mind the draft, but I wouldn't touch Russell Wilson. He is incapable of making all the throws and is slight in stature to with stand the beatings of an nfl qb. I can't see that guy succeeding in the nfl.

read the first sentence again..."wish list" and knowing it won't be possible to sign more than one or two...

not trying to be argumentative, nor am I comparing apples to apples, but to rebut on your comments on Wilson...Brees is too small, Sproles is too small, Desean Jackson is too small, London Fletcher is too small, Dwight Freeny is too small, Wes Welker is too small, Dexter McCluster is too small...did I miss anyone?

Edited by Armchair GM

I agree with a previous poster in that you're free agency "wish list" is a little far fetched. I can realistically see the Bills re-signing Stevie, Bell, and Chandler. I also could see them making one "splashy" move by bringing in a high profile FA like Vincent Jackson or Dwayne Bowe. I would be happy with one of those guys, and some of the other alternative players like Anthony Spencer and/or Cortland Finnegan.

I like your first two draft selections, particularly Sanu in the 2nd round (although I think he will go in the late 1st). I could see us taking Upshaw, but I could also see us taking the Iowa LT Reiff with the #10 selection. This pick, of course, will be highly contingent on what we do in free agency. Not a huge fan of Nate Potter in the 3rd round. If we were to look at tackles in the 3rd round range, I would much rather see a guy like Levy Adcock or Andrew Datko (if he falls that far). These guys are bigger and stronger than Potter, and would fit better with what Buddy and Chan seem to prefer with their offensive linemen (big nasties). Finally, I would rather take a stab at a QB like Kirk Cousins in the 4th or 5th round. I don't hate the idea of drafting Wilson, but I see Cousins as being a better developmental prospect. Plus, he has that big arm that we all have been waiting for.

Just my .02 :)

Take Avril off the "wish list." I just saw that the Lions will likely tag him...

I agree with a previous poster in that you're free agency "wish list" is a little far fetched. I can realistically see the Bills re-signing Stevie, Bell, and Chandler. I also could see them making one "splashy" move by bringing in a high profile FA like Vincent Jackson or Dwayne Bowe. I would be happy with one of those guys, and some of the other alternative players like Anthony Spencer and/or Cortland Finnegan.

I like your first two draft selections, particularly Sanu in the 2nd round (although I think he will go in the late 1st). I could see us taking Upshaw, but I could also see us taking the Iowa LT Reiff with the #10 selection. This pick, of course, will be highly contingent on what we do in free agency. Not a huge fan of Nate Potter in the 3rd round. If we were to look at tackles in the 3rd round range, I would much rather see a guy like Levy Adcock or Andrew Datko (if he falls that far). These guys are bigger and stronger than Potter, and would fit better with what Buddy and Chan seem to prefer with their offensive linemen (big nasties). Finally, I would rather take a stab at a QB like Kirk Cousins in the 4th or 5th round. I don't hate the idea of drafting Wilson, but I see Cousins as being a better developmental prospect. Plus, he has that big arm that we all have been waiting for.

Just my .02 :)

Yes, it's definitely far fetched..that's why I called it a wish list. I'm simply giving my opinion on some good options at positions of need...I'll edit it to make it more clear.

I think, and this is probably obvious, but what we do in FA will determine what we look to do in the draft.

If we sign Stevie and another WR, we won't be looking at WR in Rd1. If we don't get Stevie and another WR, we will be looking at on in the draft.

Same goes with DE, LB and OT. Our draft strategy will depend heavily on what we do in FA.

On a separare point, I see Cliff Avril mentioned alot as an option. My fear with him is that his production is due mainly because of Suh, Fairly and VandenBosch getting all the attention from opposing OLs. Any thoughts?

while we are daydreaming

1 sign stevie

2 bell

3 chandler

free agents

give me one big signing and I will take avril

2 t thomas cb giants

3 meacham wr

given buddy's presser I think that is a realistic amount ot money

draft

1 kirpatrick . avril fills my need for a big time pass rusher

2 lewis lb olk

3 cam johnson de

4 mcnutt wr

4b mosley t auburn

5 moore qb

6 bradham olb

7 nielson olb

1326228047[/url]' post='2359658']

read the first sentence again..."wish list" and knowing it won't be possible to sign more than one or two...

not trying to be argumentative, nor am I comparing apples to apples, but to rebut on your comments on Wilson...Brees is too small, Sproles is too small, Desean Jackson is too small, London Fletcher is too small, Dwight Freeny is too small, Wes Welker is too small, Dexter McCluster is too small...did I miss anyone?

Since when are sproles, Jackson, fletcher, freeney, Welker and McCluster qbs? Read what i wrote. Yes Bree's is small. He's an exception. How many great 5'11 190 lb qbs do you know of? I'll pass on a midget qb 99% of the time. You can have him. Btw, he doesn't throw the ball NEARLY as well as Bree's did in college. Two different types of qbs. Wilson does well running around. Successful mini qbs that like to run the ball in the nfl are far and few in between.

Take Avril off the "wish list." I just saw that the Lions will likely tag him...

Pretty dumb IMO. Regardless if the Lions resign him to a long term deal or tag him, they are tying up a ton of money on their d-line and would be wise to use that cap space instead on linebackers or their defensive backfield.

On a separare point, I see Cliff Avril mentioned alot as an option. My fear with him is that his production is due mainly because of Suh, Fairly and VandenBosch getting all the attention from opposing OLs. Any thoughts?

Good point, but we will have Dareus and Williams in the center and Kelsay will be returning to his natural position. Hopefully Nix will be able to start shopping for free agents during the first few days and not the second or third week.

In light of Buddy's presser, and what he oulined as our priorities, here's what my wish list looks like (disclaimer: I don't pay attention to spelling, etc. Nor do I think it's possible to sign more than a couple, hence "wish list"):

1.) Re-sign SJ13

2.) Re-sign D. Bell

3.) Go out and get another WR. I think this will be the "splashy" move this year. Vincent Jackson, maybe, but I would prefer Dwayne Bowe...happy with either.

4.) Add playmakers to the D, some options are;

DE - Mathis and Avril top my charts, but will likely demand big $$, so I REALLY like Tollefson.

He provids depth to the G Men, but will start here, deservedly so. 5 sacks in rotational/

reserve duty. Especially if we stay with the highbrid 43/34 and put Williams and Dareus in

the middle.

LB - Mario Williams is he best available, and top 3 in the league (IMHO), but no way Houston lets

him go, plus he'd break the bank. So I like Anthony Spencer. He benefits from playing opposite

the very best OLB in the league, but he's a top tier talent that will bring a niche market,

perfect for the Bills.

CB - Brent Grimes is my favorite, but he's underated and is among a horrible pass D. My fear is

ATL knows his value to them them and re-signs him. This leaves Finnegan, he's

"dirty," but is a guy you love to hate and would rather have on your team, but I'd rather see

Terrell Thomas with us. He'll make a full recovery and he's an above average #2 who is a

BEAST on the preimeter and run support.

5.) re-sign Chandler and add another TE, a la *NE. Finley tops the list (can't imagine GB letting him go), but Shiancoe, Fells, Carlson, and even Tamme are all available. A second TE may not be a huge priority, maybe we get one in the Draft.

Resulting Mock, 2012.1

Rd 1, pick # 10 - Courtney Upshaw, OLB, Alabama. I just can't get past this kid. Talk about a gamer! e's the second comin of Terrell Suggs.

Alt pick - Riley Reif - OT, Iowa

Rd 2, pick # 42 - Mohammed Sanu, WR, Rutgers. Big, physical WR. Tremendous upper body strength to fight the jam, excellent route runner with excellent hands. Lacks the elite straight line speed but is fearless and ellusive after the catch.

Alt pick - Trumaine Johnson - CB, Montana (rare combo of size speed for a CB)

Rd 3, pick # 74 - Nate Potter - OT, Boise State. Needs to put on some #'s, but is a smart player with a relentless work ethic.

Alt Pick - Joe Adams - WR, Arkansas (smallish @ 5'11" but goes 190 & is fast as lightning (nice slot WR)

Rd 4a, pick # 105 - Jake Bequette - DE/OLB, Arkansas. Big boy, but has the speed to play the rush LB and I wouldn't be surprised if the Bills take a few OLB's this year.

Alt pick - Shea McLellin - DE/OLB, Boise St

Rd 4b, pick # 124 - Ryan Steed - CB, Furman. You don't ear All Conference Selections every year you play if you suck. Good size/speed combo.

Alt pick - Russell Wilson - QB, Wisconsin

Rd 5, pick # 133 - Russell Wilson - QB, Wisconsin. I hope he slips out of the 4th. Small guy @ 5'11'' but is a straight up leader. Posesses a rare resolve and simply performs well, at all times. Probably could have started as a true freshman @ NC State, but he redshirted. Even so, he lead the scout team and tore NC States D up in practice. Went on to three consective season with NC State earning all ACC acolades. Transferred to Wisconsinf or his final year and picked up right where he left off. Great developmental pick with a high potential of being a diamond in the rough.

Alt pick - Rhett Ellison - TE, USC

Rd 6, Tyler Urban - TE, WVU. Switched to the slot for the 2011 season. He was so good in practice, the coaching staff witched him to a fll time starter and woved the kid who was supposed to play in the slot outside to be able to get them both on the field. Always open and catches everything. Who does that @ 250lb's?

Alt pick - Antoine McClain - OG, Clemson

Rd 7, Kyle Martins - P, Rice...why not, lol? 46 yrd average...42% of is punts were downed inside the opponents 20 with only 5 touchbacks....The kid can place his kicks pretty well.

Flame away...

Sanu is going Back to Rutgers Next Season, so maybe in 2013 :)

I don't see Bell coming back. I think we should go with your alternate, Rief, who is one hell of a tackle candidate as the number one pick. After that it's OLB's and perhaps a defensive end as top priorities in the draft.

Nix has mentioned, a couple times now, that they will try to re-sign him. I quote, "He has all the tools...quick feet...athleticism..." He's been bitten by the injury bug, but can be a solid left tackle when healthy. I think this offseason will do him good strength and conditioning wise, as he won't be rehabbing all year. Plus here's Hairston. I do think they'll pick up a tackle this year, just don't see a rd1 pick if they re-sign D. Bell. Besides, there are bigger leaks to plug at this point. Again, just my opinion, which is worthless in the grand scheme of things.