Question about linebacker depth

Yoho

We all seem to be happy with our starting linebackers and we were fortunate they stayed healthy last year, but what is the progress of our young linebackers-- Stamer, Crowell, Stevenson and Haggan?

Are they ready to step in? I know some of you get a chance to see (and record) the preseason games and do some analysis of the tape. Any observations or opinions on our linebacker depth? I know we have Gildon, I am just not sure he will be with us on opening day. I am wondering about the younger guys.

To me, Stamer and Haggan have showed consitent decent to good play, atleast in the Colt's game they did anyway (especially Stamer). I know Crowell and Stevenson play alot on Special teams, and well, that wasn't too special this past game. I didn't catch too much of either of them this past game in the regular defense.

Whether they are keepers or not probably has as much to do with how they do perform when they actually play in games on ST as their ability to potentially play in games if a starter gets nicked.

Its hard for the outside to tell about any of their ST output as the second game looked pretty good and the third game ST output simply sucked. There were simply too many mistakes to accurately asses blame without a review of the tapes and a focus not available in TV coverage.

In general, last year Stevenson's ST play and Stamer's ST play give them a leg up.

When one adds in the 2nd string possibilities, Stamer also had a leg up last year as he fought his way up the depth chart with his effective play as a reserve.

This year, the big wildcard is actually Jason Glidon. He has not impressed us outside watchers, but who knows what is going on in practice. If he commands a spot on the team it both endangers Stamer (whom he is behind on the depth chart) and Stevenson (who is also an outside LB). Crowell seems relatively set as the backup MLB but he is just ahead of Haggan on the depth chart. if Glidon stays and Stamer and Stevenson show the same output on ST they showed last year then Haggan is probably the goner.

Here's what I've seen after watching then reviewing all of the PS games on my DVR:

I've always thought of Haggan and Crowell as a pair, but Haggan has really started to seperate himself this preseason as better. Stamer looks to be the next best (and looked like the best last year, I thought) and Crowell and Stevenson are trailing, with Crowell maybe having the edge in ST play, though I did not see him at all on in the Indi game, even though I looked for him.

My take:

best

Haggan (leading tackler in Indi game!? Good hustle, no fear, decent positioning)

Stamer (Looks smart and strong, but often a step behind - may be good some day)

Crowell (Has looked strong physically, but usually in the wrong place, and not too fast)

Stevenson (faster, good hustle, but looks a bit weaker than the others and clumsier)

worst