Black outs cost money

Wow my bad,

I keyed on the part where he says the networks could sue the NFL, and apparently breezed the rest.

No more pre-caffeine posts for me. Doh!

Np, it's Christmas. Have a little Baileys in your coffee. Merry Christmas.

I bet with the new and maybe even the old TV deals the NFL loses money when the games are blacked out because no one sees the adds that are paying for those deals and people aren't buying their products. If I was the networks I'd sue the League for not properly advertising their sponsorship.

Call me nuts, but Im guessing that the NFL and the networks, all muliti-billion dollar entities, somehow managed to put a coupla hundred grand together to hire a few lawyers and accountants to do the math to ensure your little theory doesnt come to fruition.

Edited by RkFast

FYI, I live in the Toronto market. I have Bell satellite who follows the blackout rules. Rogers cable in Toronto appearantly allowed the telecast through a western feed. All I am saying is I should be allowed to watch all games after paying $200+ living in a different country. Not all of us can commit to border crossing delays along with a 2 hour drive each way every home game. I would even pay more for the freedom of any games. The blackout rules need changes IMO.

Lastly, Bills performance in the last few months definitely has not been worth the drive.

I subscribe to cable in Southern Ontario under the Buffalo blackout umbrella.

I was shocked to see the game broadcast. They must've screwed up somehow. Never before has a blacked-out game been aired.

Ok, but the point I am making to the OP is that the NFL gets billions of dollars from TV and they are not losing any money from games being blacked out. How could they?

Didn't say the League was losing money I sad the networks are. You guys should really pay attention before you start arguing.

First line in his post........I bet with the new and maybe even the old TV deals the NFL loses money when the games are blacked out

I meant Networks, which is why I said it in the second sentence :oops:

Didn't say the League was losing money I sad the networks are. You guys should really pay attention before you start arguing.

I meant Networks, which is why I said it in the second sentence :oops:

I don't think the networks are in danger of losing any money by broadcasting the games.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/analysts-estimate-media-giants-annual-94720

If there should be a precipitous drop in ratings, the networks could certainly try negotiating a lower fee in the next deal with the league. Likewise, advertisers could negotiate lower ad rates with the networks. But I doubt that happens. Back in the early 90s I remember the networks complaining about losing money on the broadcasts but it didn't matter. They were willing to let the NFL broadcasts be loss leaders as those broadcasts often ensured wider audiences for their primetime programming.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9