My Fantast Draft - here's my team

Ok guys, so my fantasy football draft was last night. It ended up being 14 teams. We play each week head to head, and you must start: 1QB, 2RBs, 2WRs, 1TE, 1K, 1Defense. I had the #5 overall pick. With our system, we go back and forth, so whoever had the #1 pick also had the 29th pick (and then the 30th and 43rd, and so on, etc). So, I had the #5 pick. Picks 1-4 were Thomlinson, Holmes, Ahman Green and McAllister. With my first overall, I had to, just had to vere away from the remaining RB's and go with Mr Manning (Peyton, that is). And here is the rest of my team.

5: Peyton Manning

24: Travis Henry (needed a back badly at this point)

33: L. Coles (my worst pick of the draft, just think I should have gone RB again)

52: Quentin Griffin

61: Plaxico Burris

80: M. Vanderjagt (early for a kicker, but he gets decent points every single week)

89: Bubba Franks (needed to go TE soon, and the big guns were gone)

108:Defense of the Dallas Cowboys

117:M. Booker (what I like to call the steal of the draft. Sure, he's with Mia, but 117th??)

136:Antowain "Frigging" Smith. (I dont wanna talk about it. I needed a backup RB)

145:Tommy Maddox (Another Steal in my opinion. Only need him for 1 game - Peyton's BYE)

164:Travis Minor (Can't believe no one, including myself, nabbed him before 164)

173:A. Becht (just backups folks)

192:Billy Cundiff (by this point, i was drunk and didnt care)

201:Pittsburghs Defense

Ok, let's hear it

I usually do not say this in critiquing other folks draft, but you are screwed! LOL! You should not have taken Payton that early. With the #5 you could have picked up ports, alexander, james, or SOMEBODY. Qb's are a dime a dozen (in fantasy value terms).

So you sacrifced a huge value drafting slot for a low value position. Mif mistake. Is this your first fantasy draft?

I have to agree with slothrop on this one. A lot of it depends on the scoring system of your league, but to take a QB like Manning at 5, leaving quality backs for your opponents was not a good move. You should have picked up a back, then a QB. You will get more points per week that way. Now, you have Travis as your #1 back, instead of Thomlinson, Holmes, E. James or Portis.

Again, this all depends on the scoring system your league is using, but I think you made a mistake.

Ok guys, so my fantasy football draft was last night. It ended up being 14 teams. We play each week head to head, and you must start: 1QB, 2RBs, 2WRs, 1TE, 1K, 1Defense.  I had the #5 overall pick. With our system, we go back and forth, so whoever had the #1 pick also had the 29th pick (and then the 30th and 43rd, and so on, etc). So, I had the #5 pick.  Picks 1-4 were Thomlinson, Holmes, Ahman Green and McAllister. With my first overall, I had to, just had to vere away from the remaining RB's and go with Mr Manning (Peyton, that is). And here is the rest of my team.

5:  Peyton Manning

33: L. Coles (my worst pick of the draft, just think I should have gone RB again)

80: M. Vanderjagt (early for a kicker, but he gets decent points every single week)

117:M. Booker (what I like to call the steal of the draft. Sure, he's with Mia, but 117th??)

136:Antowain "Frigging" Smith. (I dont wanna talk about it. I needed a backup RB)

145:Tommy Maddox (Another Steal in my opinion. Only need him for 1 game - Peyton's BYE)

164:Travis Minor (Can't believe no one, including myself, nabbed him before 164)

Ok, let's hear it

12774[/snapback]

wanna join my league next year? I'd love to pick right after you :unsure:

5: Peyton Manning

I would have picked up Portis or Alexander, but I don't think you are as screwed as others are making you out to be. In my CBS league last year, Manning scored the most fantasy points.

Good pick IMO. I think he's going to have a great year. You better hope so since you are kinda thin at RB.

Good pick. I don't like the guy, but he produces.

Used to be a fantasy stud (for TEs), but hasn't been solid of late.

Sorry, but I doubt that the rest of your draft will account for more than 5% of your overall points for the season. Maybe that's all you will need.

Ok, let's hear it

Good luck

Steve,

I don't know what the scoring system is or who else was available at the time you picked your players, but in a 14 team league drafting number 5, you have to take a RB. If you had drafted Alexander you could have paired him up with Henry and Quentin Griffin. Then you could have picked a 2nd tier QB in the 5th round or so(Pennington, Brady, etc...), I think you would have been in much better shape. Just my 2 cents coming from someone who also is in a 14 team league drafting this weekend.