Not sure this can be a playoff franchise

8-8 Forever?

So many things work against the success of this franchise. 1) Loyal, but poor, absentee owner who might pretty much be out of it -- discourages top management talent from coming 2) poor location -- today's rock star "skill-position" pro athlete doesn't want to live in "Akron, Ohio" during the best days of their career - lets face it, for a young sharp person at the top of their game (whatever it may be) , WNY has very little to offer 3) worn down, old stadium and facilities -- players would rather be in great facilities - the Ralph is ancient 4) Revenue potential is capped -- the operations do not generate nearly what better positioned franchises earn on non - gate receipts, limiting what can be spent on coaches, facilities, scouting . Just seems to me that the franchise can be competitive absolutely, but not terribly successful unless it drafts incredibly well and catches lightning in a bottle as in and around the SB years. Other than that stretch, the team has only been competitive. When 31 other options exists for players and coaches, how does this franchise attract the best talent?

I don't have a response to (1) but here is my response to (2), (3) and (4). With respect to (2) the Green Bay Packers. With respect to (3) the Green Bay Packers. With respect to (4) the Green Bay Packers. In other words, the last three reasons you give for why the franchise stinks are pure BS.

The Buffalo Bills are not the Green Bay Packers. Nuf said.

The Buffalo Bills are not the Green Bay Packers. Nuf said.

Agreed. And all your points about the stadium and facilities are correct; Lambeau is old, like the Ralph, but it's a historic stadium and receives significant renovations regularly. Equating the two as the other poster did is inaccurate.

Clearly, they are not the Packers. But that begs the question why? The Packers have a terrific front office and we have a horrific front office. Your reason no. 1 is in my opinion full explanation for why the Packers are great and we stink. My only point was that I don't think the other three reasons are legitimate and that you only have to look at the Packers to prove the point.

Agreed. And all your points about the stadium and facilities are correct; Lambeau is old, like the Ralph, but it's a historic stadium and receives significant renovations regularly. Equating the two as the other poster did is inaccurate.

I really don't understand the stadium/amusement park/mall/food court thing. I go to watch a football game, which means spending about four hours in the stadium. I understand the need for luxury boxes but I think all the other amenities are to get people in the building and out of the parking lot.

Clearly, they are not the Packers. But that begs the question why? The Packers have a terrific front office and we have a horrific front office. Your reason no. 1 is in my opinion full explanation for why the Packers are great and we stink. My only point was that I don't think the other three reasons are legitimate and that you only have to look at the Packers to prove the point.

Tradition matters. The Packers are the equivalent of the Yankees, Celtics, and Canadiens. The Bills are the equivalent of the KC Royals - a 1960s expansion team with a couple moments of glory and a long and ongoing era of ineptitude.

Edited by dave mcbride

Tradition matters. The Packers are the equivalent of the Yankees, Celtics, and Canadiens. The Bills are the equivalent of the KC Royals - a 1960s expansion team with a couple moments of glory and a long and ongoing era of ineptitude.

Buffalo's never going to be Green Bay, but it's not so far behind a lot of other cities in terms of attractiveness to free agents: Kansas City, St. Louis, Minneapolis, Detroit, Indianapolis, etc. There's nothing about moving to WNY that can't be overcome by putting together a dynamic organization with a real commitment to winning, or at least, the illusion of one. We saw that during the Donahoe era. His moves didn't work out (though they gave us our two best seasons of the decade) but it was enough. We desperately needed a QB and made a big move for on in Bledsoe. That was enough to make real, star players start thinking about Buffalo. Takeo Spikes, London Fletcher, Sam Adams, Lawyer Milloy, Troy Vincent, etc. Chippewa St. was probably less exciting then than it is now, but those guys decided to play here because it was a team that really looked like it might do something. Even Gregg Williams added some excitement to the organization at the time - he was a fresh, new coach with a top reputation as a coordinator. This all wasn't enough, but it was enough to make Buffalo look like a place worth going to.

When you rebuild after a terrible season by hiring an in-house, 70-year old first-time GM and a head coach who was last seen being fired from his OC job right before the season, it doesn't add the spark.