Are we seriously kidding?

Much like the Canadian Geese every fall infiltrate the skyways of the Eastern seaboard on their trip South, the Bills have plummeted out of playoff contention, I will admit slightly later than normal, but even the geese need to reprogram for anomalies like global warming. Once again, this fabulous forum has shifted focus to the draft and free agency, with a diatribe every now and then on the front office and coaching changes.

Ladies and gentlemen, we are simply fooling ourselves if things are going to change with the Bills Organization. As I stated before, the wrong Wilson past away this past week (RIP, Allen, quality human being and kudos to Peter King for giving national recognition to this man). I have followed this website for many years and, believe me, there is collectively better football knowledge on this forum then there is in the front office at One Bills Drive (should change the name to “Last” Bills Drive as we seem to perpetually occupy that space in the AFC East). The annual cycle goes something like this: they interview interesting front office candidates only to settle on some internal up and comer, might as well be from the janitorial staff, free agency begins and they sign “has-beens” looking for a new start, reclamation projects to sell tickets, and/or gadget players, then the collegiate draft comes and with a single digit first round selection “Joe” head scratcher, and finally, they pump out news clips during training camp about how some game day bust has come out of off-season workouts quicker, faster, and stronger only to revert to prior form once the season kicks off. In line with this Bills annual ecosystem, this board’s initial reaction, usually the correct one, is here we go again with this nonsense only to gradually embrace these annual gaffes as time passes and optimist on the website start persuading with the glass is half full view points.

Respectively, do yourselves a favor and hark back to the day Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey were each signed to contracts; honestly recall your individual reactions. If I recall, visions of grandeur (e.g. Cowher, Shanahan, Shottenheimer etc.) only to come crashing back to earth with Nix and Gailey, frankly Gailey is the Ying to Jauron’s Yang! Gradually and collectively the TBD warmed up to these C grade actors and we certainly have been fooled again for this stupidity. Can any genius point to progress made during this latest two year regime? First they draft a running back, arguably the deepest roster position they inherited, then they sign a bunch of clowns during FA, Gailey determines that Edwards beats out Fitzpatrick during camp only to reverse course 4 games into the season, and finally they proceed to go 4 & 12 earning the 3rd pick in the draft. Basically more of the same in year two, Dareus will be okay, but I do recall Nix stating Von Miller was not high on the Bills draft chart, only the most urgent need on the roster; we are talking about a GM whose rolodex consists basically of San Diego Charger cast offs and free agents from Georgia Tech, that tremendous ACC football powerhouse. Injuries continue to rack up (believe me, a sure sign that this team is getting physically pounded each and every time they take the field (basically undersized and/or inferior athletes), draft picks continue to disappoint, what free agents?, the defense has regressed and that was priority one in Nix’s first offseason, and they continue to loss (okay, they will win one more game this year over last; let me buy Gailey and Nix Cohebas and Johnny Walker Blue for that tremendous accomplishment).

So continue to entertain me with interesting off season dreams and logical visions on what the team needs to do, but be prepared for more of the same!

I hate the way the Bills are run and pissed that they're losing but what makes you think things will be better with a different owner? I know it's early but Pegula has thrown around a bunch of money and the Sabres don't seem much different.

Much like the Canadian Geese every fall infiltrate the skyways of the Eastern seaboard on their trip South, the Bills have plummeted out of playoff contention, I will admit slightly later than normal, but even the geese need to reprogram for anomalies like global warming. Once again, this fabulous forum has shifted focus to the draft and free agency, with a diatribe every now and then on the front office and coaching changes.

Ladies and gentlemen, we are simply fooling ourselves if things are going to change with the Bills Organization. As I stated before, the wrong Wilson past away this past week (RIP, Allen, quality human being and kudos to Peter King for giving national recognition to this man). I have followed this website for many years and, believe me, there is collectively better football knowledge on this forum then there is in the front office at One Bills Drive (should change the name to “Last” Bills Drive as we seem to perpetually occupy that space in the AFC East). The annual cycle goes something like this: they interview interesting front office candidates only to settle on some internal up and comer, might as well be from the janitorial staff, free agency begins and they sign “has-beens” looking for a new start, reclamation projects to sell tickets, and/or gadget players, then the collegiate draft comes and with a single digit first round selection “Joe” head scratcher, and finally, they pump out news clips during training camp about how some game day bust has come out of off-season workouts quicker, faster, and stronger only to revert to prior form once the season kicks off. In line with this Bills annual ecosystem, this board’s initial reaction, usually the correct one, is here we go again with this nonsense only to gradually embrace these annual gaffes as time passes and optimist on the website start persuading with the glass is half full view points.

Respectively, do yourselves a favor and hark back to the day Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey were each signed to contracts; honestly recall your individual reactions. If I recall, visions of grandeur (e.g. Cowher, Shanahan, Shottenheimer etc.) only to come crashing back to earth with Nix and Gailey, frankly Gailey is the Ying to Jauron’s Yang! Gradually and collectively the TBD warmed up to these C grade actors and we certainly have been fooled again for this stupidity. Can any genius point to progress made during this latest two year regime? First they draft a running back, arguably the deepest roster position they inherited, then they sign a bunch of clowns during FA, Gailey determines that Edwards beats out Fitzpatrick during camp only to reverse course 4 games into the season, and finally they proceed to go 4 & 12 earning the 3rd pick in the draft. Basically more of the same in year two, Dareus will be okay, but I do recall Nix stating Von Miller was not high on the Bills draft chart, only the most urgent need on the roster; we are talking about a GM whose rolodex consists basically of San Diego Charger cast offs and free agents from Georgia Tech, that tremendous ACC football powerhouse. Injuries continue to rack up (believe me, a sure sign that this team is getting physically pounded each and every time they take the field (basically undersized and/or inferior athletes), draft picks continue to disappoint, what free agents?, the defense has regressed and that was priority one in Nix’s first offseason, and they continue to loss (okay, they will win one more game this year over last; let me buy Gailey and Nix Cohebas and Johnny Walker Blue for that tremendous accomplishment).

So continue to entertain me with interesting off season dreams and logical visions on what the team needs to do, but be prepared for more of the same!

classless...

I hate the way the Bills are run and pissed that they're losing but what makes you think things will be better with a different owner? I know it's early but Pegula has thrown around a bunch of money and the Sabres don't seem much different.

Are you serious? You're telling me you have seen no difference between the Pegula sabres and the Quinn/Golisano sabres? Yeah, their play through one quarter of the season hasn't been awesome but they'll significantly better than last year. The arena renovations mean nothing? The fact that we're willing and able to throw money around whenever we want means nothing?

Please. It's all about the ownership. This team won't change while Ralph is still the owner.

Edited by bills1960

This defense has regressed? You're kidding, right?

Eight...EIGHT games last year they surrendered more than 200 yards rushing. And they weren't of the 201 yard variety either, they were 200 and some SERIOUS change.

And this year. since we stop hemorraging points on offense, we've more or less stopped hemmoraging yards on defense. So just as our team rankings on offense are weighted by the success from earlier in the year, our rankings on defense are hamstrung by questionable play early on, which has since been improved upon.

We're not among the elite just yet, but c'mon.

Last year's defense was an abomination. And this year's lineup, with rookies at EVERY level (Line, linebacker, corner and safety) is better than any team we fielded last year. So to say Nix's plan, Nix's roster, Nix's players just aren't "working"--is categorically false.

Edited by The Big Cat

Are you serious? You're telling me you have seen no difference between the Pegula sabres and the Quinn/Golisano sabres? Yeah, their play through one quarter of the season hasn't been awesome but they'll significantly better than last year. The arena renovations mean nothing? The fact that we're willing and able to throw money around whenever we want means nothing?

Please. It's all about the ownership. This team won't change while Ralph is still the owner.

As I stated, it's still early with the Sabres and all I said was they seem to be no different and you agree with me. Arena renovations mean nothing to me if they don't win and it's been proven throwing money around is no guarantee you'll win.

"Can any genius point to progress made during this latest two year regime?"

1. Better MLB (Barnett)

2. Better DE (Dareus)

3. Moving Woods to center

4. Brad Smith signing seems to be working

5. Chandler (nice to use a TE again)

6. Urbik

7. WE FINALLY BEAT NEW ENGLAND!!!!

and yes..... your Wilson line was classless but I liked the post.

You sir just summed it up! Well done and I don't think you left anything out. Status quo in Orchard Park.......

Eight...EIGHT games last year they surrendered more than 200 yards rushing. And they weren't of the 201 yard variety either, they were 200 and some SERIOUS change.

And this year. since we stop hemorraging points on offense, we've more or less stopped hemmoraging yards on defense. So just as our team rankings on offense are weighted by the success from earlier in the year, our rankings on defense are hamstrung by questionable play early on, which has since been improved upon.

Last year's defense was an abomination. And this year's lineup, with rookies at EVERY level (Line, linebacker, corner and safety) is better than any team we fielded last year. So to say Nix's plan, Nix's roster, Nix's players just aren't "working"--is categorically false.

They are horrible, they have to be in the bottom third in every meaningful category that measures defensive performance. You are calling what you see out there as progress over last year? This management team has had a full offseason together and plenty of money under the cap and a full assortment of draft picks and the defense still stinks! Look at the surge on any running play, the front seven is usually getting blown off the ball and the linebackers engulfed by the opponents oline, they have to be the worst unit in the league! What are you suggesting, a healthy Kyle Williams and Merriman will resolve this mess, you must be kidding? McFadden ran roughshod in week two like Johnson did yesterday; I think the score was 21-0 in the first three possessions Brady had in week three, let's forgot about the outcome in those aberrations otherwise called Oakland and NE. Have you had a Troupe and Carrington sighting lately, maybe this should help, Carrington 45 to 50 snaps yesterday for zero tackles and zero assist!

This year, already, the Bills D has surrendered over 400 yards 6 times (and these weren't the 401 yard variety) compared to 4 all last season.

Agaisnt the rush, we have improved from 32 to 24--an improvement. But we have gone from 3 against the pass (no one bothered last season) to 19th. Our D is 26th in total points allowed and 25th in first downs surrendered--no significant change from last year.

So the run D got better, the pass D got worse and we are giving up more yards than last year per game. So, no, the "plan" is not really working. The D is awful.

I forgot the sack count, remove the Redskins game and what do you have, 4 or 5 sacks in total? Usually the opposing quarterbacks trip over themselves 5 to 10 times over a 16 game season; real progress, I can hardly wait for next year!