Union workers at it again

DaveinElma

The story reported earlier this week by Fox 2 in Detroit highlighted a very serious issue of unacceptable and reckless employee misconduct that was already under investigation by the company. Working as expeditiously as possible within the bounds of the legal union contract, seventeen employees have been suspended pending discharge. In addition, we are working with the union to ensure that workers will no longer be allowed to leave the premises during the work day. These actions supplement the existing rigorous drug screening and background checks used by Tower to hire 150 new employees since acquiring this business.

They'll probably just get get paid suspension. What a punishment.

Love the first comment:

Blacks drag white societies down to their level, always. There has never been a case where they have uplifted whites, never. And it will never happen either. These creatures are not human. They are a subspecies. Sorry if the truth hurts. And please don´t accuse me of racism, because the truth can´t be racist.

Dave, was that you?

http://www.aflcio.org/issues/legislativealert/steissues/work/

I don't see the appeal of working in a "Right to Work" state. You guys like working for less and having no collective bargaining rights?

What am I missing?

I would rather be paid based on merit and my contributions accordingly compared to a union job where everyone is paid same as slughead Joe regardless of work accomplishment

:lol:

Now you're making it too easy for me.

I was an IT contractor. Non-union labor. At a labor union. You wanna talk about screwed up? :lol:

http://www.aflcio.org/issues/legislativealert/stateissues/work/

I don't see the appeal of working in a "Right to Work" state. You guys like working for less and having no collective bargaining rights?

What am I missing?

What are you missing? How about: I don't work for less, and I have absolutely no need to pool myself with a bunch of other people, probably less skilled than I, to bargain for it.

You work for a excellent company then, wish there were more of those still operating in America. Not a fan of blaming unions for the actions of a handful of workers, who are apparently being punished/released for their actions. Not sure how you could watch this and blame unions, they didn't lobby for alcohol and drugs in the workplace.

If anything blame the company... they are a part of the military industrial complex, so it's not exactly shocking that they would be slack creating vital parts/armour for the troops... ever heard of Halliburton? How about the water at Camp Lejeune? Now there's something worth being mad about!

There is a ton of waste, fraud and abuse everywhere, and I would not be shocked if the guys in suits and ties running these companies are doing much more heinous things, and on the taxpayer's dime. BTW, this "news" story was unprofessional in their approach... cheesy hip hop sounds, interviewer using his best "ebonics" slang. The workers deserved to be exposed, but this piece is pretty ridiculous.

Edited by Blanco_Diablo

You work for a excellent company then, wish there were more of those still operating in America. Not a fan of blaming unions for the actions of a handful of workers, who are apparently being punished/released for their actions. Not sure how you could watch this and blame unions, they didn't lobby for alcohol and drugs in the workplace.

If anything blame the company... they are a part of the military industrial complex, so it's not exactly shocking that they would be slack creating vital parts/armour for the troops... ever heard of Halliburton? How about the water at Camp Lejeune? Now there's something worth being mad about!

There is a ton of waste, fraud and abuse everywhere, and I would not be shocked if the guys in suits and ties running these companies are doing much more heinous things, and on the taxpayer's dime. BTW, this "news" story was unprofessional in their approach... cheesy hip hop sounds, interviewer using his best "ebonics" slang. The workers deserved to be exposed, but this piece is pretty ridiculous.

Where the hell do these guys come from?? Waste fraud and abuse is bad..... Unless it's the government doing it?? Who hired Halliburton??? Who manages Lejeune??????????

As an FYI.... Halliburton is one of 3 companies in the WORLD, that will willingly, put their lives on the line for a price... The other 2????? One is out of France, the other out of Russia... Want to give them our tax money??? Hate Booooooooooosh all you want, but PBO seems to agree..... for now.....

I drank the water out of Lejeune.... And other than this anger as I'm writing this, I find no problems... Was it the water that did this??? Or my reaction to ignorance???

Waste, fraud, and abuse... Hmmmm It's ok to bash a perceived problem in a company, while ignoring the blatant waste in government.... In a company, waste fraud and abuse leads to failure of that company.... I government, it leads to higher "revenue collection" to support that WFA...

Where the hell do these guys come from??

WNY, originally.

Waste fraud and abuse is bad..... Unless it's the government doing it?? Who hired Halliburton??? Who manages Lejeune??????????

Who said it was ok for the government to be wasteful? That is what I was referring to when citing the military industrial complex. Eisenhower put it better than I will ever be able to:

I believe we partially agree there. Halliburton, KBR, CACI, etc and I am sure scores of politicians on both sides of the fence are tied at the hip... I assume they and the government are one and the same. Camp Lejeune was meant to be an example of something worthy of being angry over. I fail to see how any of this indicts unions. Last I heard they were investigating an internal USMC cover-up. Or were you saying unions were responsible for the poisoned water?

Halliburton is one of 3 companies in the WORLD, that will willingly, put their lives on the line for a price

It's not about past administrations as the current regime has just as many issues. "For a price" which happens to be multiple times what U.S. soldiers make. A bit unfair to the troops... and Halliburton/KBR have some poison-water/toxic fume issues of their own. Just brought it up since everyone is so outraged at how the safety of the troops is being affected in the original report posted in this thread.

I drank the water out of Lejeune.... And other than this anger as I'm writing this, I find no problems... Was it the water that did this??? Or my reaction to ignorance???

So, me being angry about what happened to soldiers at Lejeune from the 50s-1987 and what may have been done to you (assuming you were there at that time), makes you mad at me? Where's the logic in that? I am ignorant to what exactly? Did unions poison the water? Sorry to have personally offended you with the Lejeune reference, but I do sincerely hope you were not there during those years in question and suffer no ill effects from your time there. As Bills fans we suffer enough! The point was, what do unions have to do with any of this, there are bigger issues, within government and elsewhere to be angry about. Especially since this one crew of f-ups will be fired soon, although I am glad they were exposed as their actions were deplorable!

Waste, fraud, and abuse... Hmmmm It's ok to bash a perceived problem in a company, while ignoring the blatant waste in government.... In a company, waste fraud and abuse leads to failure of that company.... I government, it leads to higher "revenue collection" to support that WFA...

Who said I was ignoring waste in government? Just figured that was a bit off-topic for this thread. Where-as this defense industry factory had me think about other issues specifically in the defense realm. Revenue collection, so we are talking taxes and welfare now? This conversation is about to go way off topic and drag on for months. I really don't feel like spending all that time going back and forth on a web forum with neither of us changing the other's mind. My original response was to point out that unions had nothing to do with the acts of those workers, seems like a reach to make that connection. However, the company may want to actually follow-through with the drug-testing they claim to randomly do.

I agree that there is just as much corruption in government as anywhere. Just as a business may fail, if not propped up by "corporate" welfare, governments who fail to answer to the populace will also eventually give way to new leadership.

Edited by Blanco_Diablo

I work for part of the military-industrial complex.

I work for part of the military-industrial complex.

Do they give you a discount on the joints you smoke and the beer you drink on your breaks? You know, since useless workers are the fault of the military-industrial complex and the individual companies.

Then not surprised you are making bank... seems like you guys and wall street have the only jobs left that pay well and have phenomenal benefits. No wonder our opinions differ so drastically.

I love being part of the 1%. Now dance for me, B word! :w00t:

Do they give you a discount on the joints you smoke and the beer you drink on your breaks? You know, since useless workers are the fault of the military-industrial complex and the individual companies.

The original insinuation in this thread was that this incident and similar workplace issues are entirely the fault of unions. I have provided a perspective to the contrary. Useless workers are everyones fault, in a sense that a blind eye has been turned. There is more than one perspective here. Just like I cannot solely blame the company or the field of employment (point made by Koko78) those opposed to unionization can't place a blanket blame on unions. So those with opposing views in this thread would argue that these companies have no say at all in who they hire/fire? Unions are that omnipotent? Not buying it.

The argument that unions serve only to protect and promote lazy/unqualified workers is untrue, however that thought sure does polarize people (as evidenced in this forum). Unions require an employer to prove "just cause" in order to fire or discipline workers. The OP's video investigation documents that "just cause" beyond a shadow of a doubt. The basic goals of unions are valid and at one time helped to build the foundation for a strong middle class and thriving economy. Unions have been targeted and decimated, and now barely even have collective bargaining power. Can unions be corrupt? Yes, if power exists power can be abused. Can corporations be corrupt? Yes, and if unions did not exist many modern workplace rights and safety standards enjoyed by both union and non-union employees wouldn't either. There has to be some middle ground here.

I love being part of the 1%. Now dance for me, B word! :w00t:

Well this conversation is getting nowhere.