Spikes is the best player on this team!

JP-era

recall that 3 years ago he made some comment about playing professional basketball. 

Moulds gets pissed and says dumb stuff, just like every WR, but who wouldn't restructure after the way we've been playing of late.

Don't get too carried away by media spin like that article some guy wrote about Moulds where the basis for the article was moulds leaving the post-game conference after the dolphins game early.

176420[/snapback]

Still havent answered the question about who is making as much or more and doesnt deserve it, or who is making less and DOES!

www.nflpa.org .... look into it!

Part of the reason Evans has been getting the ball is because of the presence of EM. Our passing offense is better with both of them...or do you forget what happened to the O after PP left for Atlanta?

Oh yeah, i forgot...that's ALL DB's fault.  :D

176421[/snapback]

Was waiting for that one.

Who is claiming that all we need is Josh Reed as our #2?

Dont forget that Josh Reed was our #2 when Peerless bolted. This is NOT the same. If Evans becomes our #1 and we replace Moulds with a PROVEN possession type a.l.a. Plaxico Burress as our #2, we ARE NOT in the same boat as when Peerless left!

Are you saying a Plaxico Burress is only as good as Josh Reed? You know better.

I love how if Moulds doesnt have 100 catches and 10 TDs everything thinks hes doing poorly.  Does he deserve 8.5 mil? probobly not, almost nobody does.

176362[/snapback]

are you even reading my posts?

the point isn't what he deserves, but rather, is it worth it to cut him. The anwer to that is a resounding "no". It's not like madden where you go out and just sign some other "interchangable" part. THese are people who make decisions that don't always agree with fans' opinions.

are you even reading my posts?

the point isn't what he deserves, but rather, is it worth it to cut him.  The anwer to that is a resounding "no".  It's not like madden where you go out and just sign some other "interchangable" part.  THese are people who make decisions that don't always agree with fans' opinions.

176434[/snapback]

Look, Im not trying to argue here.

"Cut" was never in my equation. "Trade" was in my equation, restructure WITH a pay cut was in my equation.

But, you cant look at Moulds age and this years production and justify 8.5 mil next year if you are TD.

If your saying he will restructure, Im all over it. My #1 option at #2 would be Moulds, but not at 8.5 mil!

"Cut" was never in my equation. "Trade" was in my equation, restructure WITH a pay cut was in my equation.

But, you cant look at Moulds age and this years production and justify 8.5 mil next year if you are TD.

If your saying he will restructure, Im all over it. My #1 option at #2 would be Moulds, but not at 8.5 mil!

176439[/snapback]

Fair enough. We're on the same page except I differ with your assessment of our #1 vs. #2 guys. In my opinion Evans is stylin' because of EM's presence. Taking EM's single-year "dropoff in production" without considering all the factors is a bit silly.

176439[/snapback]

Alright, well, again: this isnt madden.

In the NFL it's really hard to get any value in a trade.

Fair enough. We're on the same page except I differ with your assessment of our #1 vs. #2 guys. In my opinion Evans is stylin' because of EM's presence. Taking EM's single-year "dropoff in production" without considering all the factors is a bit silly.

176443[/snapback]

could very well be true. Maybe Im dumb here but if you have a guy who can beat any DB in a foot race AND he has awesome hands, how does he NOT get open ALOT!

Why wouldnt Evans get just as open WITHOUT Moulds?

could very well be true. Maybe Im dumb here but if you have a guy who can beat any DB in a foot race AND he has awesome hands, how does he NOT get open ALOT!

Why wouldnt Evans get just as open WITHOUT Moulds?

176451[/snapback]

Last post on this thread for me...have to work.

You can ask the same thing about a ton of receivers who were great #2s but didn't succeed in the #1 role without a solid second wideout. Peerless. Harper with the 'Pokes in the '90s...Lelie (look how he fared without Rod Smith)...the list goes on. There's no definitive proof here, of course...but blazing speed and good hands do not GUARANTEE good production as the #1. That much is clear. Does LE have the ability? Absolutely. Time will tell. I'd just as soon not rock the boat if we don't have to.

Last post on this thread for me...have to work.

You can ask the same thing about a ton of receivers who were great #2s but didn't succeed in the #1 role without a solid second wideout. Peerless. Harper with the 'Pokes in the '90s...Lelie (look how he fared without Rod Smith)...the list goes on. There's no definitive proof here, of course...but blazing speed and good hands do not GUARANTEE good production as the #1. That much is clear. Does LE have the ability? Absolutely. Time will tell. I'd just as soon not rock the boat if we don't have to.

176458[/snapback]

my point is 8.5 mil next year = having to rock the boat!

Moulds isnt even our best WR! Much less our best player. He is nothing more that a quality possession receiver. If you were drafting a guy who had good but not great speed, great size, godd but not great hands (his dropsies proves that!), and great YAC, you may not take him until the 2nd round. If you trade Moulds at this point he may not bring more than that.

So, you guys who think Moulds is our best player are on serious Stadiumwall!

I love Moulds like all of you do, but Im having issues with the guy earning 8.5 mil next year....1.5 mil less that Vick? Thats nuts for a guy who is on the field no better than our #2 WR!

Moulds was supposedly having questions about his future with this team, "questions" that seem to have become silent after we went on our winning streak...hmmmm. Anyways, If I were TD, Id say renogotiate his contract with a BIG pay cut or TRADE HIM!!!! He isnt worth 8.5 mil to US anymore! He wont like taking a pay cut and probably it gets ugly and he leaves a.l.a. TO, one of his buddies, BTW.

Id rather pay, say, 6 mil per for Plaxico Burress (a UFA next year) then 8.5 mil for Moulds. A deep threat in Evans and a possession guy who can win any fight for the ball in Burress, thats a great combo! It helps that Burress is a Steelers guy (can ou say Mularkey?). Burress can never expect #1 pay because he doesnt have the speed.

I say keep Moulds ONLY if he takes a pay cut, or TRADE HIM for whatever you can get and sign a possession type #2.

176299[/snapback]

The best player on the Bills this year is Sam Adams. He's the mismatch. Week in and week out, nobody has an answer to his size, power and quickness. Credit the Bills coaching staff for realizing his value and allowing him to stay on the field more and to attack more when he is in there. His presence raises the level of play of the entire defense and allows Spikes and Fletcher to run around and make plays and Posey to run around and almost make plays.

Spikes is an excellent player, but he can be run directly at and is a mediocre pass rusher/blitzer at best. He does three things at an elite level: sideline to sideline run defense, pass defense, and locate/make plays on the ball. Those strengths make him a Pro Bowl player.

As for Moulds, I was down with the idea of trading him early in the season, because I felt he was a bad influence on young players like Evans and McGahee. Moulds is either overrated or his standards for performance at the position are too low and I believe it's mostly the latter. He has always called for the ball more, then subsequently dropped it and called for it more again.

Seeing Evans improvement and stellar hands, I think maybe I underestimated him. He has been thru enough adversity that he may not need to look up to a veteran like Moulds as a standard. I'm 50/50 on bringing Moulds back now, mainly because of cap considerations more than his performance, which has dropped off markedly from two seasons ago(can count last year). He's lost some of that burst of power and speed after the catch. I'd like to have one of those 6'4" receivers opposite Evans, especially with the inaccurate Bledsoe and the very raw Losman waiting in the wings.

If Moulds is so great at drawing the attention of the defense, why did we keep seeing 8 - 9 guys in the box every time we handed the ball to McGahee? Our passing game isn't feared that much, which means Moulds isn't feared. Do you think a defense would put 8 - 9 guys in the box with Randy Moss on the field?

If Moulds is so great at drawing the attention of the defense, why did we keep seeing 8 - 9 guys in the box every time we handed the ball to McGahee? Our passing game isn't feared that much, which means Moulds isn't feared. Do you think a defense would put 8 - 9 guys in the box with Randy Moss on the field?

177276[/snapback]

The reason teams stack the LOS is that they want to stop McGahee and force Bledsoe to beat them. It says more about opposing teams' fear of McGahee than anything else.

As for Moulds, no, he is not worth $8.5M per year and something is going to have to happen with his contract if he wants to stick around past this season. The one thing that made him great was his explosiveness after the catch. He appears to have lost that, and the rest of his skills really aren't good enough to take up the slack. As a result, he's now just a 'good' NFL WR, and no longer one of the elite players at his position. To be honest, I don't think he's even going to be the best WR on the team by the end of next season. He's still worth keeping, but I would not break the bank to do so. Although I'm not an advocate of unloading him, if the Bills had to do so, they could probably bring in a quality veteran possession reciever much cheaper. It would be a risk, but in today's NFL, you can no longer afford to keep aging veterans at exorbitant prices.

BTW, as good as Spikes is, he is not the Bills best player. The Bills best player is Sam Adams. I didn't care much for signing him, nor was I impressed with his season a year ago, but this year he has turned in one of the most dominating seasons by a DT I've ever seen.