We should draft Linebackers 1, 2, 3.

maddenboy

A huge problem is that we dont DICTATE anything to anyone. On either side of the ball.

We dont have a single unit that keeps opposing co-ordinators up at night. Or, a single player, for that matter, except maybe freddie and Kyle Williams.

So I say, devote the next draft to ONE UNIT. Try your damnedest to make one unit that will strike fear in the other team. I say draft Linebackers 1, 2, 3. I dont care if they're inside or out (but I do need some pass rush). You can never ever have enough linebackers. We have about 1.5 of them total (Sheppard. Moats? Shawnie? Kelsay?).

Improve that unit, and the D-line will have an easier time. And they'll be more motivated to do the grunt work for some really good guys behind them. I sure wouldnt want to bust my ass on the line, so that Andra Davis or Moats can be clean to do . . . nothing much.

Improve that unit, and your dbs look better, due to the increased pressure, and increased 3rd and longs, and increased ability of linebackers to actually help in coverage.

I know other units need work. But if you wanna run an excellent 3-4, you need about 7 linebackers. Just ask the Steelers.

Go back to a 4-3. Let Barnett play middle and Sheppard weak OLB. Draft the best OLB available in the first round followed by two WR's, a CB, two more LB's, and a couple OT's(+/- a devlopmental QB). That is 8 picks which I think is how many they have with Baltimore's 4th. This of course is predicated on them doing nothing in FA to help - which may or may not be true.

Go back to a 4-3. Let Barnett play middle and Sheppard weak OLB. Draft the best OLB available in the first round followed by two WR's, a CB, two more LB's, and a couple OT's(+/- a devlopmental QB). That is 8 picks which I think is how many they have with Baltimore's 4th. This of course is predicated on them doing nothing in FA to help - which may or may not be true.

Bingo. I like it except no more LBs after Rd1. WE already have an exess of mediocre ones. With McGee perhaps gone for good get another DB and a QB with unquestioned physical skills that fell out of higher rounds for some other reason.

I would agree with you in principle - because, I've advocated this approach for the last four years with the Bills; draft heavy on one side, make it strong, then draft heavy the other side, and in year three, add the last pieces. Yet, Buddy has drafted D-heavy for the last 2 years - Dareus, Carrington, Troupe, Williams, and Shepphard - I think that is a look at 5 of our last top 6 draft picks these past two years. That's almost half a starting defense in two drafts, and that's just the two year's top three rounds. We're starting Moats, Coleman, Batten, and Searcy, as well - I mean, this past draft was like 80% defense. And here we are, saying lets throw a whole draft at fixing a problem.

I might say that problem should have already been fixed. So, it's either our draft picks are not playing good, or we needed to replace the entire Defense, and we're not there yet, or the coaching stinks. And, as is usually the case, it's a combination of those factors.

All in all, it is very discouraging to think we have so much still to add to this team before it is really competitive, and I'd put franchise QB at the top of the list..

Maybe it's time we spend all the money we saved on a FA or two?

You're making the mistake of thinking rationally and assuming the decision makers have the desire to address the problem.

They're $30 million under the cap this year and dumped vets like Evans and Hangartner because the finanace guys decided not to carry their contracts. I'll be surprised if they diviate from the budget contraints imposed on Nix and Gailey to address the talent gaps and depth problems that are obvious right now.

I suspect we're going to continue to see the focus on the draft and picking over the scraps from other teams. My wish in the draft is a franchise OT, then LB or DB.

How about drafting a QB that can actually play one solid season from start to finish. You can see a ton more upside on almost every QB drafted in the first round last year compared to Fitz. Fix the freakin problem once and for all. Trade your whole draft if you have to because this front office can't draft worth squat.............