Oh Tannenbaum

I remember a scene from the movie "Dave" where he points out that one way to fund a shelter for homeless children is to cut a government program that creates advertisements designed to make people feel good about buying a car. I remember thinking, "It's a joke, I know, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was someone stupid enough to have a program like that."

And here you have it. Someone stupid enough to have a program that is even more stupid than they could make up in the movies.

Did anyone NOT think of that scene yet, reading this thread.

How anyone can defend this freaking moron is beyond me. Do you have any idea how hard you have to work to make BIDEN look smart?

Well...in Obama's defense, given the authority the 1996 Bill gave the USDA and the magnitude of the program (laughably small), I doubt this crosses the president's desk - no matter who's sitting at it - until staffer comes running in to the Oval Office saying "Did you hear what USDA is doing? Turn on CNN!" Yes, we have an administration dumb enough to think that giving a three-dollar plastic commercial prop to the Russians is good international diplomacy...but this has "senior department staffer stupid" written all over it.

I would have loved to be a fly on the wall, too, when whatever Undersecretary For/Director Of Holiday Foliage that authorized this friggin' abortion* got the message "President Obama for you on line 2." That would have been a great conversation. "Uh...hello, Mr. President." "Hello, dumbass. Now let me get this straight...you're announcing a tax on Christmas. And announcing it in November. And I'm finding out through CNN. Didja ever...oh, I don't know...maybe give that more than three seconds thought, Einstein?"

*Apologies to Darin...but it fits.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not only that, but I am a grower who is in the process of shipping off my first batch of the year and have received no notification at all.

Of course, I am not a member of their stupid "association" (heavy on the first syllable).

I'm assuming they must be collecting this at the distributor or retailer level.

Apparently this is about F'ing over the guys like you who aren't in the association. The idea was, the big growers could afford the tax...fee....what the F ever....and you guys couldn't. Now they are saying that only association members would have to pay the fee, and obviously whatever marketing done would purposely exclude you, and may have even targeted you.

And, :o Big Tree (wait, isn't that...) got Obama to do it's bidding. What a shocker.

Again, to LA's point: there's no way in hell this was worth the political damage that has been done. If that's all this was, it'd be massively moronic. But wait, there's more: WTF is Obama thinking going along with a purposeful move to hurt the little guy? What in the hell is a democrat doing taking the side of Big Tree(:D) and actively participating in their plans? Obama and his people are in 3/4 campaign mode, and that this was allowed to go forward without the slightest modification tells you just how competent and intelligent these people are.

Lastly: I got this from the news this morning "only Congress can tax the people"....so WTF is the FDA doing taxing the people on its own...and calling it a "fee"?

Edited by OCinBuffalo