Why NE's loss to Miami is huge for the Bills

Mark Vader

I apologize if this has been discussed, but the Patriots loss to Miami on Monday night was huge for the Bills.

We already know that the Steelers will go all out this weekend and try to clinch homefield against the Ravens. Which they will do, the Ravens pathetic offense will get crushed by the Steelers "D". This of course makes it more likely that the Steelers will rest most of their starters against the Bills.

As far as the Patriots are concerned, the loss they took has opened their eyes and they know they still have not clinched a bye in the playoffs yet. They will play like a team possesed against the Jets this weekend. That will be too much for the Jets too handle. I have said to everyone here, don't give the Jets that playoff spot just yet. They may be in the driver's seat now, but let's wait until the season is over.

The Broncos are going down so fast, that they are becoming a non-factor. They will lose one more game.

Which leaves us with the Jaguars. They are right now the biggest threat to us. I do not count the Texans out though, they are a tough team. The Raiders have been scoring lots of points lately, so the trip to Oakland will not be easy.

I now feel that the Bills will make it into the post season. Call me a homer or a dreamer, but I feel it. The 49'ers are a sad team, there will be no letdown. That leaves us with the Steelers, in what will be a huge game.

What a great turnaround this team has had.

GO BILLS!!!!!

Cowher won't "rest" his starters for 2 whole weeks and leave them rusty for the playoffs.  I bet you they play at least 1 half of that game.  It's good tho cuz if we're behind, we can catch up!  :devil:

The players were quoted in some local PA papers as saying that if they DO beat the Ravens this weekend and clinch HFA, they'll rest most of their starters. The injury to TO opened their eyes.

As for the Miami win, I agree it was monumental! However I think that both the Dolphins, and the Bengals last weekend, have provided a blueprint for how to score on the Patriots' defense. In both games the defense gave-up 28+ points. And during the MNF game, they were talking about how Brady struggles against the Dols because of how they use their safeties. I think any team that studies that MNF game alone, in conjunction with the Bengals game, will have a pretty good blueprint for beating them.

Just for ***** and giggles, wouldn't we want the Bills to beat the Steelers at full strength? Honestly, we know that the Bills need the win to have a shot at the playoffs, but in reality, wouldn't we be fooling ourselves by beating them at half strength and then possibly going into the playoffs not knowing if the Bills can realistically compete with the other playoff bound teams?

I would rather beat the Steelers with all their starters playing, knowing that "if" they do make the playoffs, they then have a chance at beating anyone they face. Playoffs in the NFL aren't set up for teams backing in. What's the point of backing in just to get your head handed to you the next week. I personally would rather see them get in on a roll by beating the "best" team in the league knowing that they have a realistic shot at going deep into the playoffs.

Just for ***** and giggles, wouldn't we want the Bills to beat the Steelers at full strength? Honestly, we know that the Bills need the win to have a shot at the playoffs, but in reality, wouldn't we be fooling ourselves by beating them at half strength and then possibly going into the playoffs not knowing if the Bills can realistically compete with the other playoff bound teams?

175009[/snapback]

I agree - I'd rather see if the Bills can beat a legitimate Superbowl contender....but I wouldn't complain. *If it gets to that point*, you might see the Jaguars, Ravens, or Broncos start griping that Buffalo got it easy. Tough sh-t. I would think that Cowher wants to win a championship, too. So he's gotta do what is best for his own team. I really don't think he'd care about anyone else.

Keep this in mind....the Bills will see the Steelers at "full strength", regardless of what happens this week. The difference depends on whether or not they beat Baltimore (and if the Bills beat SF). Should Pittsburgh win, they'll probably treat week 17 as a preseason game. Get everyone in there for 2 1/2 or 3 quarters, then pull them. In addition, their intensity will not be the same. Big Ben, Bettis, Staley, Porter, Farrior, et al will be playing, but I can't see them being too pumped, even if it's not fair to the other teams fighting for the playoffs.

I also agree about the TO injury. I expect to see a lot of cautious coaching over the next 2 weeks.

I would rather beat the Steelers with all their starters playing, knowing that "if" they do make the playoffs, they then have a chance at beating anyone they face. Playoffs in the NFL aren't set up for teams backing in. What's the point of backing in just to get your head handed to you the next week. I personally would rather see them get in on a roll by beating the "best" team in the league knowing that they have a realistic shot at going deep into the playoffs.

175009[/snapback]

You can only work with what is given to you....If the steelers decide to rest

their starters it is not the bills problem..and the NFL is not going to discount

the win in such a case.

From the Steelers point of view, they have already had injuries t0 10 starters...actually much more than the eagles or the falcons, but their names

don't rhyme with Owens or Vick hence not much is known.......The steelers

have been without their starting LB, starting WR, starting TE, starting Guard

starting Nose Tackle, starting CB...It is in their best interest to preserver

the rest of their starters for the playoff run.