Free kick for 3 points

Teh Wikipedia link said the kicker could kick with a person holding the ball or "drop kick" the ball. Is a drop kick a punt? Could Moorman then punt us a field goal?

Maybe, but a drop kick has to bounce off the turf before being kicked. Has Moorman ever tried that in practice?

PTR

I don't believe that the kicker may use a tee, as some have suggested.

The previously posted link to the official 2010 NFL rulebook confirms that no tee can be used on any field goal attempt, including the "fair catch kick" variety.

"Article 4 No Tee. An artificial or manufactured tee shall not be permitted to assist in the execution of a field goal."

Its a weird little rule but if you get a bad punt with no time left you could fair catch the ball and request a free kick. Basically you have the right to kick a field goal off a tee directly after you fair catch a punt. Its rarely used but hey its something you can try especially towards the end of the half.

Maybe, but a drop kick has to bounce off the turf before being kicked. Has Moorman ever tried that in practice?

PTR

I'd be curious to learn more. Allegedly the saints punter, morestead has hit 60+ in practice if memory serves. What's range on a drop kick? Also, even with a holder, you don't have to clear guys jumping at the line so you can really line drive it.

PTR

Not sure about that, Promo.

When we were kids playing playground football yes.

But here's video of Flutie's dropkick. It doesn't look to me like the ball hits the ground.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0Jsz-fSNd4

Like the drop goal, this is one of the nifty little rudiments left from the time when everything was rugby. Actually, a tremendously interesting field of study. Rugby still does feature free kicks and drop goals on a regular basis. One reason the drop kick is tried so rarely in football is the shape of the ball which has proven to be rather prohibitive to such undertakings. The rugby ball has rounder ends.

Edited by The Beautiful East

Not sure about that, Promo.

When we were kids playing playground football yes.

But here's video of Flutie's dropkick. It doesn't look to me like the ball hits the ground.

youtube.com/watch?v=P0Jsz-fSNd4

I think it touched, but barely. Otherwise why not just punt it? I think he timed it to hit soft and kick before it could pick up any odd bounces.