Teams top tacklers

What's a standard breakdown (ie bring some numbers around the league)? Do we deviate? Could things like injuries contribute if we do? Any analysis on the topic or just letting everyone know?

I think that the OP makes a good point about our linebackers (especially our OLB's) needing to step up and make more plays around the line of scrimmage, but in today's pass-happy NFL I don't think it's all that uncommon to have Safeties and Cornerbacks leading the team in tackles.

I think that the OP makes a good point about our linebackers (especially our OLB's) needing to step up and make more plays around the line of scrimmage, but in today's pass-happy NFL I don't think it's all that uncommon to have Safeties and Cornerbacks leading the team in tackles.

But a pass rushing OLB tends not to have a ton of tackles. Guys like ware, as an example, hit the qb just about as often as he does a RB(exaggerated, but not a lot). I'd be curious the top ten splits around the league before I rush to judgement here. Then maybe look at the guys seemingly missing in comparison and see if there's a reason (injuries? Lack of plays his direction? Whether, perhaps, the guys off the field because were in nickel more than average?).

For instance- the packers play a 34 but are in a 335 a ton (admittedly I saw more last year than this year in GB). I'd imagine clay Matthews isn't super high in tackles if he's chasing the qb, and whatever guy is off in that 335 is lagging in tackles. But without pulling numbers, it's tough to say. just an idea of why I was saying the first post didn't shed near as much light as the OP intended.

honeslty, with teams throwing the ball so much more, I would expect the DBs to have a lot of tackles these days.

Also on that note teams run out in nickel as much if not more than a base.

I consider Green Bay a pretty decent 3-4 defense. Here are their tackle #'s after 6 weeks.

RILB Desmond Bishop 57 46

FS Morgan Burnett 47 33

RCB Sam Shields 23 21

LILB A.J. Hawk 28 18

RCB Tramon Williams 19 17

LCB Charles Woodson 22 17

SS Charlie Peprah 26 16

ROLB Erik Walden 19 13

LCB Jarrett Bush 13 11

LOLB Clay Matthews 16 11

I consider Green Bay a pretty decent 3-4 defense. Here are their tackle #'s after 6 weeks.

RILB Desmond Bishop 57 46

FS Morgan Burnett 47 33

RCB Sam Shields 23 21

LILB A.J. Hawk 28 18

RCB Tramon Williams 19 17

LCB Charles Woodson 22 17

SS Charlie Peprah 26 16

ROLB Erik Walden 19 13

LCB Jarrett Bush 13 11

LOLB Clay Matthews 16 11

Are guys like raji, Pickett and wynn close to walden and Matthews?

I know all our lb besides Barnett have also missed time or split snaps.... Maybe our defensive line edging those guys out relates to that? It seems that the difference is our line not our secondary (6 out of 10 for each) stealing those top ten spots?

Edited by NoSaint

honeslty, with teams throwing the ball so much more, I would expect the DBs to have a lot of tackles these days.

That is actually a myth:

The Bills are 29th against the Run, giving up 135.7 Yards per game and a mere 6 yards behind the 30th ranked Colts and 30th against the pass giving up 284 yards per game.

The Bills currently can neither stop the Run nor the Pass and it is actually getting worse as the games have progressed...

Here are some other interesting facts:

The Bills are 4/4 on 4th Down defense.

The Bills have a total of 7 sacks in 6 games.

The Bills have allowed 8 Rushing TD and 10 Passing TDs.

Bottom line is that this front 7 PLAY is still very weak and with Kyle Williams out, it has depleted further. With Fitz cooling down in the last 3 games, our offense has not been able to carry the team and hence the 1-2 record in the last 3 games.

I don't think this team is devoid of talent. Edwards needs to go...He is over matched every week. His schemes are pretty poor. Other than the week 1 opponent, his schemes not been successful against the other 5 opponents. His results speaks for themselves.

That is actually a myth:

The Bills are 29th against the Run, giving up 135.7 Yards per game and a mere 6 yards behind the 30th ranked Colts and 30th against the pass giving up 284 yards per game.

The Bills currently can neither stop the Run nor the Pass and it is actually getting worse as the games have progressed...

Here are some other interesting facts:

The Bills are 4/4 on 4th Down defense.

The Bills have a total of 7 sacks in 6 games.

The Bills have allowed 8 Rushing TD and 10 Passing TDs.

Bottom line is that this front 7 PLAY is still very weak and with Kyle Williams out, it has depleted further. With Fitz cooling down in the last 3 games, our offense has not been able to carry the team and hence the 1-2 record in the last 3 games.

I don't think this team is devoid of talent. Edwards needs to go...He is over matched every week. His schemes are pretty poor. Other than the week 1 opponent, his schemes not been successful against the other 5 opponents. His results speaks for themselves.

I was really referring to the success of the pass across the NFL more than anything. It is no suprise the passing yards in the NFL this year are at record highs, with the rule changes we have seen the past few seasons. That is going to turn into DBs getting more tackles than in years past. Honeslty 300 yrd passers arent a big deal anymore. its like 350 or even 400 is the new 300.

Teams like the Pats are going to throw it 3/1 as much as the run it. How do you expect the DL and LBs to get tackles v tteams that throw it 40+ times a game? Dbs are going to have to tackle the WRs after they catch it with that many apsses.