Wildcat: One-dimensional or decoy?

A few of us were having a conversation (at the Charlottesville, VA Bills Backers gathering) about our version of the Wildcat. It seems that most or all of the Wildcat plays this season have been rushing plays--despite Smith being touted as a decent thrower. Notwithstanding its effectiveness so far, is Gailey intentionally avoiding the pass version of the Wildcat because Smith isn't able to throw as well as he (Gailey) would like, or is he loading up opponents' film with Wildcat rushing plays so that he can unleash the Wildcat passing attack later this season?

A few of us were having a conversation (at the Charlottesville, VA Bills Backers gathering) about our version of the Wildcat. It seems that most or all of the Wildcat plays this season have been rushing plays--despite Smith being touted as a decent thrower. Notwithstanding its effectiveness so far, is Gailey intentionally avoiding the pass version of the Wildcat because Smith isn't able to throw as well as he (Gailey) would like, or is he loading up opponents' film with Wildcat rushing plays so that he can unleash the Wildcat passing attack later this season?

calling what the Bills run the Wildcat is a total misnomer.-

In no way is this any derivation of the actual Wildcat series

there is no misdirection, no fake handoffs, players in motion

nothing that would confuse the defense

Brad Smith takes the direct snap and runs outside

not a whole of creativity in the play design - definitely not the Wildcat

I'm sure they will throw out of it eventually.

It seems like the Jaworski's and the Billick's who hate it so much (and some fans) hold it to a higher standard than they do any other play. When Jackson takes a handoff and runs for 4 or 5 yards that's considered a good play right? I don't think Gailey is really trying to gash anyone for 50yard TD's circa Miami vs NE 2008.

Geez Dude.

What are you on quaaludes today?

Good call. I don't see how it's a "wildcat". It's our 3rd string QB running from the shotgun every time.

Sparty, I usually agree with you on most of what you say but you're wrong about Buffalo's use of the WC. Today they used a a great misdirection play that I used to run back in jv. A fake pitch, QB counter that got a few nice yards today. Very similar to a single wing play that fakes the pitch one way only to have the wing run a counter underneath.

As far as running motion, that is just another play out of the WC/single wing. Why the Bills haven't used that yet? Probably because he doesn't want to show his hand. I'm sure as the season goes on you are going to see a lot more out of that formation like you did today.

They also ran some play action out of that formation with a run pass option and Smith picked up about 6-7 yards.

Patience. Gailey knows what he's doing.

I agree that it's not working for anything more than picking up a few yards. If it's a decoy it's one lame @ss decoy. It's clear that when Smith is back there it's going to be a run. The only thing the defense has to do is pick what side they will be running to. At The Oak or maybe it was the NE game I saw Smith roll out and attempted the worst excuse for a pass that I've seen out of that formation. Dare I say that Marshawn Lynch would haveade a better throw. I think they are absurdly overpaying for Smith as I've never been a fan of his. He needs to get involved more as a WR especially since we have been through so many injuries. Why is it a $4million player listed as a WR can't see more game time when Easley, Jones and Parrish are all out? He's a gimmick player, it's a gimmick formation and the rest of the league isn't falling for the stupid WC anymore. If they want to do something worth while, just have him play an option and give a toss to Freddie or CJ from time to time and that will be more creative and open things up a little.

On a brighter note, they are money for first downs from the formation, unfortunately it's usually no more than 3 or so yards.

I will thank nobody for Brad Smith being on this team, he's a fraud and cost is a ton for nothing more than about 5 first downs so far. If they don't do something soon I will call it a bust and wouldn't be suprised to see him cut before his 4th year.

Just my .02