Why can't our corners cover anyone?

Dylanme8

I love the start to our season and the fact we are getting so many turnovers on defense...

But why can't we stop teams from passing on us? You would think that problem would be fixed this far into the season, we give up huge plays.. these guys are nfl caliber players doing this week in and week out.

Does anyone have stats on who is giving up the most yardage or getting beat the most? It really seems like mckelvin just sucks and should honestly be taught instinct(not teachable?) Or cut. We should have signed someone weeks ago.

Also why can't these guys get to the qb like they did in the preseason?

Thoughts?

I love the start to our season and the fact we are getting so many turnovers on defense...

But why can't we stop teams from passing on us? You would think that problem would be fixed this far into the season, we give up huge plays.. these guys are nfl caliber players doing this week in and week out.

Does anyone have stats on who is giving up the most yardage or getting beat the most? It really seems like mckelvin just sucks and should honestly be taught instinct(not teachable?) Or cut. We should have signed someone weeks ago.

Also why can't these guys get to the qb like they did in the preseason?

Thoughts?

The target in the secondary seems to rotate between McKelvin and Corner. McKelvin's had one really bad game against the Raiders, and got beat by some amazing indefensible catches by AJ Green.

I thought Corner was obviously targeted in the Pats and Eagles games. I think the Eagles intentionally looked for him, which resulted in Jason Avant having a career day. But I give Corner a pass--he's just a very average injury fill-in, so we shouldn't expect much. Once McGee and Williams come back, we'll be in much better shape.

The target in the secondary seems to rotate between McKelvin and Corner. McKelvin's had one really bad game against the Raiders, and got beat by some amazing indefensible catches by AJ Green.

I thought Corner was obviously targeted in the Pats and Eagles games. I think the Eagles intentionally looked for him, which resulted in Jason Avant having a career day. But I give Corner a pass--he's just a very average injury fill-in, so we shouldn't expect much. Once McGee and Williams come back, we'll be in much better shape.

What he said. I suspect we'll be fine when McGee and Williams get back. We have faced some very tough receivers and qbs in the last few games with some significant injuries in the defensive backfield. We have won and have gotten a remarkable number of turnovers with what we have been able to put on the field. After the bye week we will be fine.

The interesting thing will be how the Giants will approach us and how we react.

actually Brady was targeting Williams before he got hurt

Watch some other teams next Sunday. The rest of the league is catching on to what Chan is doing, bunching up receivers to create picks. It's a pass-happy NFL.

PTR

bunching receivers isnt anything new

I think it's our scheme mostly. We seem to play a lot of soft coverage.

Yep. You have to play soft coverage if you want to make breaks on the ball. It's impossible to break on a ball if you are sticking with a receiver stride for stride. It's pretty obvious at this point that our defensive philosophy is to create turnovers, and soft coverage allows us to do that. It's also pretty obvious that the Bills do not mind giving up yardage to go for turnovers - and it is equally obvious that so far, its been very effective.

I think it is beyond time that many of the fans on here begin to examine their paradigms regarding playing defense in the NFL, because turnover differential is by far the biggest factor in winning and losing of any metric.

Yep. You have to play soft coverage if you want to make breaks on the ball. It's impossible to break on a ball if you are sticking with a receiver stride for stride. It's pretty obvious at this point that our defensive philosophy is to create turnovers, and soft coverage allows us to do that. It's also pretty obvious that the Bills do not mind giving up yardage to go for turnovers - and it is equally obvious that so far, its been very effective.

I think it is beyond time that many of the fans on here begin to examine their paradigms regarding playing defense in the NFL, because turnover differential is by far the biggest factor in winning and losing of any metric.

Yeah, dude, but in my fantasy league, you get a crap load of points if a guy racks up the yards. This should our team's number one concern.

Could it be lack of talent at DB, what about the bend-dont-break mentality we seem to have, maybe its us not having any pass rush, could it just be that we're DOOOOOOMED?

A win is a win and until we start losing on blown coverages and/or horrible games by the secondary, they should keep at it. Its been great watching this team on both sides of the ball for the most part.

+1 @ DrDareustein